1,151 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars The pros much outweigh the cons
It looks like most reviewers have this pretty well covered, but I'd like to throw in my 2 cents, mostly because I've spent so much time reading these books and it just plain feels right.

I'll start by saying that this book is not perfect, and there were times when I was convinced that the story would end horribly. So why do I give it 5 stars? I feel that what...
Published on December 29, 2009 by S. Boone

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Mixed Feelings
Well, this is a difficult review to write. Like many reviewers here, I've been reading this series from its inception, since I was a young man (about Jakes age). It has remained one of my favorite series, and each new volume was awaited with a barely containable anticipation.

I agree with so many of the glowing reviews of this book.

And I agree...
Published on November 1, 2004 by Particle Noun

‹ Previous | 166 67 68116 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Constant Readers Rejoice, for the end is nigh, June 16, 2013
I am a "Constant Reader", or I was before I decided to finish college. If you look up this term, constant reader, you will find a dizzying number of references but many of you will instantly know it from the works and writings of Stephen King. I'm not sure and couldn't find where he first used this term, but he uses it periodically to refer to his fan base at large. As a constant reader, I first picked up "The Gunslinger" before I graduated high school, and was in wait for the second book. I would wait some 24 years before I would get the second book, and the rest of the series. One day, a fellow constant reader pointed out that I could not call myself such a name without reading what King himself called his ultimate masterpiece that he refused to write until he could do it justice. So I once again picked it up, I went "a little further... all the way."1
The story itself follows Roland's ka-tet, or group for you non-constant readers, as they are reunited and strive to reach the end of their journey, the Dark Tower itself. In Part one of the book, King wraps up some of the storylines from the previous book, and brings the splintered group back together. This serves as a bit of exposition and background to the story, more is not needed as the majority of readers will remember the background from the other six books in the series. The point of view is mostly third person but switches to first person from various characters, including some outsiders to the ka-tet, and in this way the story develops and the group can wrap up their individual storylines and come back together. By the end of part one, the group is reunited and the exposition is concluded, but like many of King's books, bits of background come out throughout the overall story, as stories told by the main character, Roland.
In Part two of this book, the story progresses chronologically and reveals a new complication to the overarching story. The overarching story and complication is the overall difficulty that Roland has had, first in gathering his ka-tet, then in getting them to the Black Tower. This new complication is a new and unexpected life, Roland's half son, and what part he plays in the overall storyline of the seven book series.
In parts three and four, the story continues to develop chronologically, and as difficulties are faced and overcome, the tension develops as Roland reaches the end to his lifelong goal. The various parts of this book are centered on different complications and small climaxes as the ka-tet overcomes each of these obstacles, until the ultimate high point is reached. Part five is the climax and resolution. The story ends with Roland achieving the Dark Tower, not only the climax to this story, but the overarching storyline of seven books.
There is an epilogue which tells of the happy life of the survivors of the ka-tet. It tells of a slightly different world where they come together again, all alive. It does not tell of Roland and what lies within the tower. It is the resolution, and the ending is happy.

And then the twist. Like Stephen King, I will only say that if you like happy endings end here. If you choose to read on, it ruins the story for you. There is a Coda, a concluding section which is typically different from the structure of the whole of the story. The coda tells of Roland in the tower. He has reached his goal, but the story continues. Like the entirety of the series, it builds upon pieces and hints, and fills in a few blanks in the story.
This structure is tied to the plot itself. The plot and structure of this book are locked together. The structure of the writing, with this coda, would only work with the plot of this story. I would even go so far as to say that the plot of this story demands this structure. I would be disappointed if the coda did not exist after having read seven books of this overarching storyline. I will say that this book, with its structure, is not for everyone. If you are the type that needs ending and finality to a story, ignore these last two paragraphs of my review, and ignore the coda, end the story with the epilogue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect ending for the Dark Tower saga., June 14, 2013
Roland and his ka-tet have finished their long journey in the only way that makes sense...ka is a wheel after all.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dark Tower comes to a close, June 13, 2013
It's been over a week since I finished the final book in the Dark Tower series and I'm no closer to being able to articulate my feelings. On one hand, it was a wonderfully well-written story full of the fantasy and heartache that we've come to expect from King. But, it was also, I have to believe, a VERY different book than King planned when he first started writing this series in the 70s. I can understand others' frustrations with some of the convenient ways he solved crucial plot points. And, the ending...I know many hated it. Personally, I found it satisfying and knew that it was the `right' way for it to end. Did we really expect Roland to get to the tower, climb to the top and live the rest of his days happily and peacefully there? If you did think that was going to happen, you probably don't want to read this book. And, who am I to question King's ending? This book has been blowing its' wind at him for decades.

The mythology of this series is so complicated that I won't even bother with a synopsis of this installment. It's about the final leg in the journey to the Dark Tower. That's all I'm giving you.

I cried no less than four times while reading (once was fairly uncontrollable). There were additions to the series - who adds more major characters in Book 7? King does. Sheemie (remember him?) makes another appearance and his twin in the Keystone World plays a major role. Breakers, billy bumblers, robots, vampires, emotional vampires...I'm exhausted just typing this.

Here are a few of my favorite quotes:

"And will I tell you that these three lived happily ever after? I will not, for no one ever does. But there was happiness. And they did live."

"Unfound has become Found."

"Roland of Gilead walked through the last door, the one he always sought, the one he always found. It closed gently behind him."

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

And, a few quotes from other sources that came to me as I was reading:

"All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again." Battlestar Galactica

"The Matrix is older than you know. I prefer counting from the emergence of one integral anomaly to the emergence of the next, in which case this is the sixth version." The Matrix Reloaded

"I told you. I wake up every day, right here, right in Punxsutawney, and it's always February 2nd, and there's nothing I can do about it." Groundhog Day

5/5 stars for a satisfying conclusion to a series that is, I'm sure, the Keystone of King's writing life.

5.0 out of 5 stars The fiinal chapter?, June 11, 2013
The ending of this book was not what I expected, but it does bring up some interesting questions. If King had stayed around he might have written another series to go with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection., June 10, 2013
Couldn't have asked for anything more. So happy I picked up the first book and got immediately dragged into this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional and Suspensful!, June 5, 2013
I liked how it began to explain how some of his other books are entwined with the Dark Tower series.
I also enjoyed the different adventures within this book.
IT went FAST!! It was so hard to put down because each chapter was such a riveting adventure!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic series! Fantastic ending!, May 30, 2013
I just reread the series four years after I first read it. And though I remembered major points in the story, and thus they were not a surprise, it was like visiting an old friend and having a very good palaver. There were minor details I'd forgotten and was happy to rediscover. Most importantly, I enjoyed it much more the second time around. Now, with barely a hundred pages left, I am starting to dread the aftermath of completing the journey again . . . my own personal todash space of emptiness I experience each time I finish a great read or when the NFL season concludes. And this one is a great read. Loved the characters! Loved the journey! Loved the world of Roland! I cannot honestly remember how deeply I immersed myself into a story like I did with The Dark Tower, and I've read many great books. Sai King's masterfully crafted tale is at the top of the list, my own personal literary tower. I can only hope in three or four, or perhaps more years, when I take upon myself the mantles of this journey once more, the satisfaction I get from it then will surpass the enjoyment I got this time. And perhaps even deeper grows an unfound hope that one day, Ves'-Ka Gan, the song of the turtle, will be heard upon the winds again, and that Mr. King hears it. Hile Roland! Hile Gunslinger!

5.0 out of 5 stars I was happy to receive the last book in the series., May 27, 2013
Leanne Crawford (Oakridge, Oregon, US) - See all my reviews
Who doesn't love Stephen King? I was using the local library to fill in the gap of the series that I had not purchased myself to own. Unfortunately, they do not have Book 7 on their shelves. So, I was happy to be able to look on Amazon and find a copy, reasonably priced and shipped very quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book, April 1, 2013
Anything Stephen King is awesome even before I read it but I am glad to get used books at very low prices because I do share my Stephen King library with my sister and they do sometimes get a little beat up. Thanks to book sellers and amazon for making my sharing bearable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait, March 25, 2013
It was a great ending to phenomenal series. I hesitated to finish the ending, but it was very satisfying. I encourage the Wind Through the Keyhole.

‹ Previous | 166 67 68116 | Next ›

The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, Book 7)
The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, Book 7) by Stephen King (Hardcover - September 21, 2004)
Used & New from: $0.01