Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 3, 2012
The book started off strong: A missed call means Vanessa learns of her husband's affair, and she throws all of his stuff out of the house. Sadly, it was downhill from there.

I found the author's general "jump around on a timeline" to be jarring - 3 years ago, 2 months ago, 10 years ago, etc. I understand that she was trying to help up understand the characters without giving everything away all at once, but it got old fast. She spent too much time on setting scenes and noting small details (Red Sox game on TV, curling receipt laying on the bar, anisette cookies with sprinkles) and it just bogged down the story rather than adding charm.

And then there's the relationship between Vanessa and Naseem. It's the cliche struggle to connect with one's soulmate, but I never felt that true connection between these two.

" (Naseem) 'I love you. I guess I have from the beginning. Since the first moment I saw you. I knew it when I was just an intern working with you and I have never cared for anyone else like I have you. I've tried not to because of this career dilemma and because YOU made it clear YOU wouldn't commit to more of a relationship because of the responsibilities in your life. I understood and respected this and hung on to what you were willing to give. I don't even want to THINK about how difficult it is to lose you again, but it's important to me and to my family that I continue to pursue the path I am on. I don't really have a choice.'

She sat at the end of the bed with her back to him. 'Naseem, I don't know what to say anymore.' The sound of defeat was in her voice. Although upset, she realized that by keeping her in the dark she had been able to enjoy these last few months but was beartbroken now knowing it was ending." (location 4752)

But the REAL dealbreaker for me was the ridiculousness of Vanessa's art success: a friend "took some digital shots back to New York and by the end of the week he had three paintings held for viewing and one sold without needing to see the original. It was the easiest $20,000 she ever made." (location 4954). I can accept that she has a friend who is "in" with the art community, but there's just no way that ANYONE would pay that for a first work from an unknown artist.
on January 10, 2013
I just finished the book this morning and LOVED it! It was so much fun, and I got completely attached to the characters. I was pulling for Vanessa throughout, annoyed at her friends, etc., and being from the Boston area I really loved the attention to detail for the familiar places. You feel like you are there in every "scene." At first, the flipping back in time from the present was throwing me a bit, but once I got used to the pace, I actually liked it - it made me look forward to getting back to the present, or back to the past, with each switch. This is a perfect book for vacation or general reading to take your mind off things.

I'm looking forward to getting started on her next book!
on December 15, 2012
Overall, I truly enjoyed this one! I admired the main character, Vanessa very much! Being a single mother, working full time, and just trying to get her feet back out their into the dating world in her early forties has to be difficult!

This was a very realistic fiction book, in that a lot of women can most likely relate to Vanessa. If you've been cheated on, raising a child, or children, on your own, I believe this is the book for you!

There were a few humorous dating moments in this one. Vanessa had the worst luck! A man obsessed with feet, a man with a girlfriend at home, huh! the list goes on and on of bad luck dates Vanessa went on!

At time I will admit I had problems with how she was. I believe she relied on her parents a bit too much to watch her two girls. I get that she wanted to date, and be with her friends, and she is a great mother to her girls, but I do believe she took her parents for granted a lot of the times. That bothered me a bit.

Her hesitation towards accepting Naseem fully into her life, got a bit annoying once in a while. I think she, herself, realized how was too though, which made up for it a bit.

I loved how she was an artist, because art is just such a great way to express yourself! Lynn Ricci, the author, herself is a writer! Which is awesome!
You can check out some of her work HERE!

Overall, I recommend this one to single mothers! However, it's also a good book overall if you're just looking for something fun, yet a bit realistic to fill your day!
on October 15, 2012
I expected this to be a quick, fun read. It wasn't. The concept was interesting and something that happens to more people than we would care to know. But this book is peppered with editing errors which makes it an irritating, bumpy read.

For instance, as far as I know and in my humble opinion, it's "okay" not "OK"; 1 sentence is usually equal to about 12 to 15 words unless you have something very interesting to say. Even then, it should at least have a comma or a semi-colon. This book was filled with long sentences overflowing with adjectives; lastly, people are referred to as "who" not "that".

Then there's the jarring time jumps. Just when you're used to the story, you suddenly feel the brakes screeching as you're sidetracked to another bit of Vanessa's story.

I did like the way Lynn shared Vanessa's character. Readers were given the chance to sit with Vanessa as she discovered her inner-strength and steps out of her shell. It was an emotive, tender journey which is definitely worth reading.

Would I recommend this read? To any patient reader who doesn't mind a few bumps along the way.

Overall assessment:
Content: 4/5
Editing: 3/5
Formatting: 4.5/5
Pacing: 3.5/5
Offensive content?: PG to PG13, some adult themes are present.

Disclosure: I received a review copy of this book from the author through Orangeberry Book Tours. I did not receive any payment in exchange for this review nor was I obligated to write a positive one.
on October 8, 2012
The Dating Intervention was a lot of fun to read. Written in a light and humorous style, it still examines some fairly serious issues close to my heart--the challenges of being an "older" single woman (particularly one attracted to a younger man), and of carving out a life for oneself while maintaining the primary commitment to your children. Author Lynn Ricci tells a story that incorporates tales of girlfriends, bad first dates, passion, romance, and fear of "letting down the walls". I recommend it as a quick and enjoyable read, and look forward to more from Lynn Ricci.
on February 24, 2013
Although I have never been in Vanessa's situation, a divorced mother, struggling to meet the demands of a professional career and the needs of young children, I was on her side from the beginning of the story, rooting for her and hoping for her to find love with a worthy man and a happy ending. Single women can, and do, have satisfying lives without men in them, but speaking as a long-time married person it seems that being able to share the joys, sorrows, and challenges of life with a loving partner makes life that much richer. The dating scene, as the author describes it, sounds like what single and widowed friends of mine have experienced. The dialogue throughout was snappy, witty, and true. Vanessa's friends sometimes annoyed me, although I understood that they had what they thought were her best interests at heart. But her friends wanted her to have exactly the lives they had to maintain their solidarity, but Vanessa needed to follow her own path. At all times you want the best outcome for "our heroine," even if that outcome is different from what her friends and relatives might have wished for her. I would have liked to have gotten to know her daughters a little better, as a single mother can be so torn between what her children want and what her own heart wants. The children could have had a slightly larger role in the story. I loved the rich detail about her friends, where they lived and the places they frequented. As I am somewhat familiar with the Boston area I enjoyed trying to figure out what was real or based on something real and what was complete fiction. Congratulations to Ms. Ricci for a fun and engaging first novel. I read it pretty quickly, yet was sorry to see it end. I look forward to reading her next novel.
on October 12, 2012
The Dating Intervention by Lynn Ricci follows Vanessa. As the story begins, you see that Vanessa has it all: a wonderful home filled with a loving husband and two great kiddos, a successful career and a great group of girlfriends. But that all changes when she learns of her husbands affair and wonders what to do next. Is this truly what life has in store for her? She realizes that she wants to be happy and leaves her picture perfect life with him behind and enters into the post-divorce, post-40 dating world. What she finds is one hopeless blind date followed by another. Will she ever be able to live a life that makes her happy? Or will she regret her decisions and go running back to the world that she once knew?

When I first started reading The Dating Intervention, I was quite impressed. Lynn is a debut author and I love seeing all of that hard work come together for someone for the first time. The beginning of the book was strong and I really felt for Vanessa early on. I think all of us have struggled with a less than stellar life at one point in time, but I can tell that she really struggles and is in dire need of a change. So, I was honestly glad when she left her world behind to start fresh, but knowing what I know about the dating scene for people over 40 after a divorce, I know that it isn't pretty and can be quite exhausting. Heck, when isn't dating exhausting? I found her blind dates to be hilarious but often times very sad. I felt for Vanessa through most of the book and found myself really rooting for her to figure it all out and come out on top at the end. My only complaints are the time hopping throughout the book. I think Lynn could have found a more seamless way to incorporate the back story, but I definitely give her kudos for attempting something that even well established authors struggle with. Overall, a strong debut and I definitely look forward to reading more from Lynn in the future.
on October 12, 2012
So I walked into a little cafe' for a scone and a coffee and saw a woman having a book signing. Saw the title "The Dating Intervention" and after talking with her a bit I thought I could relate to the issues of dating after 40 which is my situation. Or at the least gain some insight as to what the woman's perspective is! What I got was a very good read. Something I haven't done since I was forced to do in high school with the exception of comic books.

I like the descriptive nature of the writing and I could see the images in my mind's eye as I read which for me, being very visual, was nice. I also like the friends and you could feel the love and concern for their friend Vanessa who is the "star" of the book. The love story was fun, frustrating, engaging, interesting, fiery and frustrating (yes I realize I said frustrating twice).... Hmmm just like real life!

If you are deciding on a good book I would highly recommend this one. It is a nice slice of life that both men and women can enjoy no matter their situation.
on December 7, 2012
This is a story about a woman, Vanessa, who tries to find love after divorce, but her emotional hang-ups get in the way. Along the way, she experiences several blind, unsuccessful and unappealing dates, no thanks to her close circle of friends. Vanessa seems to let others' actions dictate her path, but in the end acts on a whim that just might lead her to happiness.

I enjoyed the wit and humor along the way, and could relate to the post-divorce, not-so-fun dating scene. I believe any single woman could relate to Vanessa, and any woman regardless of relationship status could find humor in and compassion for her situation.

Considering this is her first book and self-published, Lynn Ricci did a very nice job with the story line. I look forward to seeing how she develops as a writer.
on April 17, 2013
This is a very lack-luster book along with closed-minded and mildly racist. The friends and family of the main character not only judge the main character's boyfriend because he is from the Middle East but they are flat out racist. Also, the friends are ridiculous and all they do is NAG the main character about dating- they think they live in this perfect "step-ford wife" lala land and cannot think for themselves. It was insulting that I actually read this.