4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a humorous "shower" gift
It was very cute and would make a great gift to give as a gag shower gift. Would be a cute way to break the ice.
Published 14 months ago by Katie Pruegert

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing and shallow
Published on June 23, 2008 by Fiona M. Young Brown

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing and shallow, June 23, 2008
This review is from: The Daughter-in-Law Rules: 101 Surefire Ways to Make Friends with Your Mother-In-Law! (Paperback)
I was incredibly disappointed by this book, especially after seeing so many good reviews for it here on Amazon. I felt as if I was being dragged back to the dark ages. According to this, smart, intelligent, capable women must have no opinions of their own but instead must pander to the MIL like children eager to please. This is demeaning to both the DIL and the MIL. The message here is to be anything but yourself. Not advice I would give to any of my clients. Cute, but no real advice here.

1.0 out of 5 stars No real advice, September 10, 2008
I just received my book in the mail today and it took me 30-minutes to read the whole thing. I thought I may learn something from this book perhaps obtain a perspective I 'vet never had before in regards to my MIL. But to be quite honest I didn't gain anything from this book, it's simplistic nature and generalist advice made it a boring read. This book lacks a sense of maturity and doesn't address the variation of mother in-laws. It is from a single scope and offers very amateur advice. I wish someone would take a broader approach to the subject and write a book that addresses all types of MIL and DIL realtionships. Perhaps I will. Puchase the book as a gag gift for a Bachelorette party or wedding shower , the pink pepto-bismol cover may even look nice in your bathroom . The content was midly entertaining. Do not purchase this book if you are looking for a mature perspective on this subject.

1.0 out of 5 stars The book can't be serious!!!!!!!!, December 9, 2009
I don't even know where to begin. I brought this book and read it with my husband, as my relationship with my MIL is somewhat stressful. Even my husband didn't like the book. He said it was "rediculous". The book advises that basicially a DIL needs to be a push-over/doormat. Look, I'm for letting things go, and not sweating the small stuff. In fact, if you can't do that than you probably shouldn't even be married. However there comes a time in every relationship we have to stand up for ourselves, demand respect, and be honest (and there is a right way to do that). This book teaches DILs to bascilly take whatever disrespect their MIL has to offer, which dosen't sound like a healthy relationship to me. My husband even joked that the person who wrote this book must be a MIL.

1.0 out of 5 stars That's a soap opera book, not a realistic one, June 21, 2008
I purchased this book in the hope that it would give some practical AND reasonable advice on how to deal with mothers-in law... what I got was practically something which repeated all the time that in front of my MIL I should do as she pleases, and then do whatever I want behind her back. Personally, I find this childish and of little use. The point is to fix the problem, not just to hide it!
I believe that as grown-up people, we should be able to communicate and clearly state what we can tolerate and cannot tolerate... sure, the way we state that should be delicate, especially when dealing with a MIL, but I am far away from agreeing that I should never oppose her opinion.
Of course, I am not saying that this is something which should be done with everyone's mother-in-law.. but mine is certainly not the old idiot the author is describing in her book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I'm just too young, April 24, 2009
Alison Faulkner (Salt Lake City, UT) - See all my reviews
I was excited about this book. I am newly married and have a good relationship with my MIL, but I'm always looking for ways to improve it and not get bugged about certain things. I was very disappointed after reading a few "rules" because, despite the fun cover, this book is targeted at an older audience. I am 25, my MIL is 55, and I found hardly anything in this book that I could relate to. Also, I felt like there were some, the only way I can think to describe it is geographical? stereotypes that I just could in no way comprehend. The writing is fun and full of personality, but if you're looking for more something more substantial, I wouldn't really bother.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fatuous and unrealistic, March 6, 2008
Sally Shields book is for those daughters-in-law/mother-in-law relationships that exist only in fairy tales. She has self-published a book of mundane "rules" that any decent, mildly intelligent daughter-in-law would certainly try but NEVER addresses the issue of the chronically intractable mother-in-law which is so often the case in real life. Perfect for a Woman's Day article but hardly worth the read for any daughter-in-law or son-in-law for that matter (I was sincerely hoping for solutions; there are none here) who works and has children facing an adversarial mother-in-law. It's premise is loopy New Age thinking: give out love and love will come back to you but what couple with a difficult, obstinate mother-in-law has had that experience as the norm? Despite their best efforts? If that were the case, the issue of the mother-in-law wouldn't be the age-old controversary that is. There are no real strategies; just a litany of domestic anecdotes which are a throwback to the 50s when daughters-in-law were forever pleasing the overbearing mother-in-law to the point of being obsequious. The [...] book has no momentum and offers no real-life advice for the modern woman like my wife who is a professor and a mother of three. Although this comes highly recommended, it's sugary tactics cannot begin to solve the deeper conflicts [...]. No wonder it is self-published!

1.0 out of 5 stars DILs are not children anymore!, April 26, 2012
I borrowed this book from the local library, hoping it would give me some insight into how to better the currently non-existent relationship with my mother-in-law. I'm so glad I didn't actually spend money on it!

This book is terrible. It's basically suggests that women should have no education, opinions, interests, (or anything else her mother-in-law isn't interested in, for that matter!) in order to have a good relationship with their mother-in-laws. Doesn't suggest that MILs and DILs try to find common ground in any real sense nor that MILs try to accept their DILs as individuals. No--it's archaic nonsense that few, if any, women born after 1970 can relate to. Went to college and are educated in a particular area? Doesn't matter, MIL is always right, even if she has no idea and you should listen to her insane blathering about it. Listen to your child's doctor about a specific problem and your mother-in-law doesn't like his/her advice? Too bad, she gave birth to your husband and, therefore, has some sort of cosmic "right" to that child that you don't! Don't care about your mother-in-law's opinion regarding XYZ? Oh well--let her have her say, because she has a say!

This book is written in exactly the same way my mother-in-law thinks: "Make me the center of attention in your life, remember that your husband may have chosen you, but I still am a bigger part of his life than you will ever be, let me say/do anything with/about your children, even if it might hurt them or deny you the joy of raising them, always let me get away with what I want to say/do, enforce no boundaries, have no life outside of mine, fulfill all of my ridiculous expectations for what you 'should' be like, and we'll have a great relationship--from my perspective, anyway!"

These "old ways", as one reviewer mentioned, may work for the mother-in-law in question, but trust me--I've tried them and all they end up doing is denying the daughter-in-law a personal identity and can lead to an overbearing mother-in-law who thinks she has a right to her son's marriage. If I followed all the "old ways", I'd have been absorbed, fully, into my husband's extremely dysfunctional family, full of deceipt, secrets, gossip, and backbiting, and expected to participate in said despicable behavior. Who would choose that over a healthy marriage and life?? What kind of advice is it, honestly, to tell young brides to give up their personalities and pretend, just so an insecure adult can feel better that her grown child is making decisions in his own, grown life? Not any therapist, counselor, or healthy adult I've ever met!

My advice? Bypass this book and be your best self. If your mother-in-law, or anyone else for that matter, doesn't like it because it's not "traditional" (read: archaic and out-dated) enough for her, then it's HER issue to deal with, not yours. It's time to expect mother-in-laws to stop whining about how much they hate their son's wives, and start practicing acceptance that you cannot control who he married.

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny book, but if you truly have a challenge you will fall short...., June 30, 2008
This book is a light, funny read with SOME practical advice. However, if you truly do have trouble with your MIL and have made a REAL effort, I think this book will leave you with much to be desired. I was expecting the magic bullet and all I got was slightly entertained....I will stick to working my hardest to get along with my MIL as I ADORE my husband!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a humorous "shower" gift, August 20, 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars If you want to hear..., August 9, 2013
IF YOU WANT TO HEAR ABOUT HOW you should bow down to your mother in law then read if not do not read.

Used & New from: $2.30