5.0 out of 5 stars Read it and Weep. Interesting, Solid Research, Realistic
Read it and weep...what has become of our nation, our people, our selves? It's a question worth asking - and this author has an answer.

Published on January 18, 2011 by javajunki

Published on January 21, 2011 by Citizen John

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad Days Following Chinese Decision to Stop Buying Treasuries, January 21, 2011
This review is from: The Day After the Dollar Crashes: A Survival Guide for the Rise of the New World Order (Hardcover)
Vickers assembled an impressive collection of reasons to believe a worse financial storm is coming. Most of the book is devoted to listing, explaining and charting how our collective debt cannot be repaid. I was already convinced of this. It can't be repaid in current dollar terms - this is widely accepted as irrefutable. But financial analysts already published nearly the equivalent in volume to half the tax code on the subject. Most of the book was redundant to me but the argument was presented masterfully.

The unique and interesting part is where Vickers finally describes a two week period where a new world order is born, and the dollar system dies. Triggering this is essentially the Chinese decision to stop buying Treasuries. That's really the day the dollar dies, according to Vickers, a scion of the Rockefeller family. This is where Vickers shines and makes his mark in contemporary Declinist literature.

While tempted to tell the sequence of events following the Chinese decision, I should not. That would spoil the plot. But I will suggest that since the drama is based on informed speculation, it would make a great movie. Movies about natural disasters are plentiful. Subgenres include epidemics, space disasters and transportation disasters. A financial disaster movie where people panic to the extent Vickers describes might be a Hollywood hit. Just thinking about it scares me. I don't feel prepared for anything that terrible.

The book's weakness is where it addresses survival. Advice about surviving the predicted bad times was dealt with in only an introductory way. As expected, we should have gold, a sound idea but not new and lacking specific advice with regard to purchasing, safeguarding and trading. As expected, the immediate post-crash environment is described as one of empty grocery stores and useless ATM machines. I personally need a lot more detail in practical terms on the subject of surviving such a financial disaster.

Most of the book, a recounting of the ways the debt cannot be repaid, could have been reduced to a 10-page appendix. Those for whom the looming debt problem is news will get more value. We all benefit from learning the potential sequence of major financial and political events following China's action.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bait and Switch, February 16, 2011
Scott Gibson "Berean" (Hillsboro Beach, Florida) - See all my reviews
This book has nothing to do with the title of the book. 98% of the book is a treatise by the author on his political opinions and thoughts on everything from the enviornment to drugs were taking. It's a rambling bunch of nonsense that Nancy Pelosi would endorse. Don't waste your money on this book when there are a lot of other books available that actually give you some meat. To describe this tome as a survival guide is a joke.

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Title - Should be "How to Conform to the New World Order", February 6, 2011
Bought the book believing that it would be about "The Day After the Dollar Crashes: A Survival Guide for the Rise of the New World Order". The book only breifly touches on this topic. The rest of the book is Buddhism 101 and a tear down of all the percieved social, environmental, political ills according to a Buddhist viewpoint.

Followers of eastern religions (i.e. Buddhism, Hindu, Zen, and New Age) will most likely enjoy the book. Others will most likely be put off by the book. The book is entirely based upon Buddhism and the belief that we must all reach an enlightened state of "oneness", especially with nature to get ready for the acceptance of a New World Order as perceived and embraced by the author.

Some quotes from the book (not all inclusive):

On Oneness
"The moment you change your mind or your behavior, you might become that hundredth monkey that tips the scales on this planet by adding your mental energy to some master mind we all share. "

"I believe our ultimate task is to learn to unify in Oneness and to embrace the humanity in all of us rather than perpetrating our separateness."

"In this day and age, I would expand those rights beyond just human beings to all living beings; to the dolphins and turtles, to the whales and eagles. That is the huge leap we must make in order to live in harmony with and on our planet." (What about plants, insects, rocks, plankton, etc.) (See below)

"We are in the process of evolving as a species; a major part of that evolution requires that we live more harmoniously with our environment. We need to start recognizing the interconnectedness of all living things. We need to start living with our resources rather than off our resources."

"We are part of the food chain and just because we have convinced ourselves that we are on the top of that food chain, it does not in fact make us better than the plankton that breeds in the coldest depths of the ocean."

"Part of the New World Order, the shift to a sustainable world, lies in people making a shift of consciousness, a shift that acknowledges and embraces the oneness and interconnectedness of all things."

On The New World Order Mantra - The author is in lockstep with the idea of a New World Order by "Shaping the New World Government Order"

"In the New World Order, the Central Government (CG) would need to have the power to regulate the size and growth rate of the governments of individual countries."

"Smart leaders .. will take decisive action and join together to hammer out a constitution for a Central Government that can oversee the interests of this planet and the all life on it." (Who will elect the smart leaders, we can't do that today, ahha the "Self Elected")

On Nationalism

"Once we stop wasting the energy and resources used to maintain individual nationalism, once we get the self-righteous, posturing political leaders out of the way, a New World Order can get down to the business of increasing global efficiency and economic and environmental sustainability."

"An effective New World Order would not be about homogenizing cultures; it would be about embracing our commonality while honoring our differences. " (So is adultery going to be punished by death?)

"We can maintain our individual distinctions and still focus on our similarities. Then we can truly start to live on this planet in harmony and embody John Lennon's dream for people to live as one." (Thought I was watching the Miss Universe pageant.)

"I am saying that arbitrary national borders may no longer be as pertinent." (Muslim extremist would welcome easy access to conquer the world.)

"I think instead we might see nations represented more as states of a global government. These states or regions might be defined by some logical geographic boundary or the kinds of cultural distinctions I've already mentioned" (US has many diverse cultures, divide up US?)

"..and now we see many Africans living in chaos and squalor, victims of violence and drug addiction: behaviors imported from our Western culture." (Africa is being bombarded mercilessly by Islamic fundamentalist (eastern culture), and the world watches and does nothing?)

"I believe we will see at least one individual come forward to lead this group. I think we will see a charismatic, singular global figure who will lead the world. That person needs to be willing to stand up and step forward. That person lives today." (Anti-Christ - you got this one right.)

On Other Items

".. And if we are miracles, then we can make miracles, including turning our planet into a heaven. It is not for us to seek heaven in some abstract place. We need to create heaven here, now, on earth. And we have the power to create those miracles if we use love as our guide."

"The truth about religion is that much of religion is based on myth. It's one culture's fantasy versus another culture's fantasy. Every religion believes that they have a monopoly on the truth. Some religions are scarier than others and some are more hypocritical than others, but they all have absolute faith that they have the right to perpetuate their own beliefs." (Wouldn't be called a religion then would it?)

"If being religious means that we blindly follow our leaders, then it is not good for us. If our religion does not promote compassion, it if does not include all life in that compassion, then our religion should be discarded. We should embrace a religion that sanctifies not just human life, but all life as being sacred." (Really?)

"I'm not pushing any particular religion, ..." (Buddhism?)

"The CG should be tolerant toward religious organizations and beliefs and not interfere with spiritual practices unless they exhibit violence or intolerance or interfere with the rights of other living beings." (Intolerance? Who defines? Some believe that if you allow tolerance you are comdeming that person to hell for it.)

"I see religious and spiritual organizations playing a role in the actual transformation or in the governance of the planet. I see recognition of a level of consciousness that gives more credibility to the global whole than to individual self-interest. This would be more of a personal transformation as one recognizes the infinite power of love that is within us for each other."

"With a truly open heart, the possibility exists for heaven to exist on earth. . . ."

"Frankly, I believe that many of the people in government are religiously zealous, who believe the economic and environmental apocalypse we are seeing now is the herald for the coming of The Rapture. It's as if they don't care if the whole world goes to hell, because they won't be here. They'll rise into "perfected bodies" in a Celestial Paradise." (Should offend quite a few people)

Many contradictions and strecthing of the truch about the facts

Where Are the Bees? (No determiniation as to the cause yet, researchers are still trying to figure out
see [...])

"Then we string our houses and stores together with concrete roads that block rain from seeping into the ground, lowering our water tables, and affecting people and animals everywhere." (Water tables are lowered mainly by the pumping of the ground water for irrigation and drinking water, not by minimally impervious cover, quality water will always remain a concern for a growing population.)

"As if this wasn't enough, in 2005, Congress passed the Energy Policy Act, championed by then-Vice President Dick Cheney, which exempted a particularly destructive drilling practice called hydraulic fracturing from numerous long-held environmental regulations such as the Safe Drinking Water Act." (Hydraulic fracturing was used in oil and gas wells back as far as 1947. see [...], Dick Cheney was born in 1941.)

"This process involves pumping a cocktail of over 600 toxic chemicals and dozens of known carcinogens along with salt and sand into drilling holes. The mixture causes the shale to fracture and release natural gas. The big problem with this is that that chemical cocktail is ending up in the regional aquifers." (The fracturing fluid consists of approximateley 15-20 different chemicals (toxic?) of which freshwater comprises 99.5% see [...])

Suprised that he didn't inlcude information about Global Warming (oops, I mean Climate Change.)

If you take a quick look at the Table of Contents you will quickly see that the contents do not match the title of the book. After all the hype over this book and after reading this book I was sadly dissapointed. Most of the page filling material is just plain dang common sense. Didn't need a book about that. I got information for investments for Damon Vickers & Company. Don't know how that will help with the New World Order?

When I buy a book from a guy who says that he is a financial expert, I expect the majority of the book to be about the subject of finances and economics. I would like to see a book that stays focused on surviving the comming economic meltdown and the information to stay above water afterwards. We know it is ahead of us, not far down the line.

I am quite suprised that this book is suppported by Glenn Beck. I was under the impression that Glenn was not a huge fan of what most of this book proposes and fully supports for the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning !! This Book is NOT what you think!!, March 23, 2011
I ordered this book because I assumed that a Financial Adviser might have some useful advice concerning the aftermath of a financial disaster. Boy was I WRONG! I have never written a book review because I always felt that even if the book wasn't for me, maybe it could pertain to someone else. This book however is totally misleading.
The first half is nothing but right out of the playbook of the environmentalist wackos with their anti-progress, anti-capitalism, anti-American attitude. He even stated that over 90% of the trees in this country have been depleted, funny how he published a hard copy book using what's left of those trees?? When he could have just as easily made an environmentally friendly electronic Kindle type book? I guess it's OK when the End Justifies the Means, Hypocrisy runs deep with these folks.

His description of the possible financial collapse was covered in just a couple pages and he rightfully commented that it is only an example and that no one could truly predict how or when something might happen. No problem there but where is the practical advice if something did happen???

So basically this Financial Adviser did not provide any useful advice other than to champion a new world order. A new world government. I believe the Author mislead the public and used his profession to sell books with the goal of solely pushing his Socialist Utopian political views. I feel sorry for the people who have actually used his financial advice. I don't know about the rest of American society but I'm not ready to throw out the Constitution and Bill of Rights just yet and I'm not ready to open all the boarders and have a one world government and police force!!!

In conclusion, not only am I highly disappointed and feel totally mislead but..... I'm going to burn book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it and Weep. Interesting, Solid Research, Realistic, January 18, 2011

As a college instructor and business writer, I read a lot of business books and try to follow the general media "guru's" as well as popular financial "entertainers". The title of this intrigued me so a few months ago, I pre-ordered this title just to see what it had to say despite not having any familiarity with the author whatsoever. (Damon who??).

Apparently, Vickers has appeared on the Beck show and has been endorsed by Beck as well...although I read and reviewed Beck's last book, I"m not a Beck fan per se and depending upon your orientation, the fact that Beck endorses this book could be a positive or negative. I tend to find those that ride on the shirt-tails of success somewhat lacking but this was a surprising departure from the usual.

Vickers begins the book with a series of hard-hitting statistics on where we are as a nation in terms of finance, the economy, ecology and even individual food and health choices. Despite the seemingly diverse issues tackled in short order, he managed to tie them together in a cohesive and important manner...they ARE related but very very few people (even most pundits) ever connect the dots. Vickers does and he does it in a concise, readable manner.

Although not quite as simplistic as Peter Schiff's most recent book, Vickers breaks down the critical points that are driving the crash and coming collapse (his position not mine) in an engaging yet readable and easy to understand manner. I was a bit irritated to see a lack of references at the end of the book but the internal citations were clear and sufficient. Fans of Beck, Schiff, ShadowStats and others will find a lot of familiar territory but sufficient unique concepts and connections to make it worthwhile. One especially valuable contribution that Vickers provides is the close relationship to one's individual health, diet, nutrition, factory farming, pharm etc to the overall economy and personal portfolio.

The book is not without faults and some outright irritations; the authors style can be a bit annoying at times and the interpersonal tidbits seem to get in the way here or there although I suspect that is a personal preference. Other readers may enjoy it - I didn't. The "sales pitch" for the authors services were very brief and at the end of the book...give him one point for self control (much better than most). The actual "plan of action" (for lack of a better word) is a bit vague and tends toward conceptual issues as much as solid direct investments. On the other hand, this was also something which could prove to be the most valuable segment of all for the average reader. The changes he proposes will certainly make more difference in the daily lives of the typical American than many so-called investment books out there.

Bottom line - buy it and share it with others. Well worth the time and effort to read.

Update & Response. This is aimed at those that are taking a negative position regarding the authors inclusion of a one world monetary system and other New World Order outcomes. The author is not promoting a NWO per se but rather factually reporting what is taking place right now throughout the financial world. There is a big difference. Whether you agree or disagree with the basic tenants of a NWO financial system will make little difference if/when it comes about. Nations around the world are calling for an alternative to the dollar for a reserve currency and there is a strong movement toward this direction. Rather than shooting the messenger, it may bode well to listen to the warning bells and prepare your personal financial portfolio.

PS - I was pleasantly surprised to see the author is very engaging and open to answering questions or responding to comments via his Facebook page....certainly a nice addition to my new reading list.

1.0 out of 5 stars New Age/Buddhist Apologetic, February 26, 2011
The very short portion of the book that deals with the actual crash scenario is reasonably good. But it is far overshadowed by the rest of the book full of unsubstantiated statements about the "oneness" and "interconnectedness" of the world, all undergirded by a Buddhist worldview. Are statements about roads keeping the ground from absorbing water really helpful here? How about statements about one person affecting the consciousness of others across the world just by his thinking and attitudes?

I found the book to be virtually worthless in helping me to understand the signs leading up to a crash as well as the potential aftermath. Real, useful suggestions for preparations would have been far more useful than the Buddhist evangelism...

The book was so bad, I skimmed the latter portions of it and then went so far as to delete it completely from my Kindle account.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pro NWO, February 26, 2011
The previews of this book looked compelling. The description of what takes place when the dollar crashes was what piqued my interest but it turns out that particular section is just a small bit of what this book is about. This guy is a New World Order proponent but his arguments are contradictory and do not make any practical sense. On the one hand he talks about how inept our government is (I agree) but then turns around and says the solution to many of the problems he brings up is to create a Central world Government (made up of intellingent and only well intentioned people - picture the UN running things!) that will supersede all national governments and come in and solve all our problems. Yeah, RIGHT! What dream world is this guy living in? He discusses a lot of the problems but his analysis is shallow and seemed to based upon his opinions. His solutions are well-intentioned but impractical and are not likely to ever be implemented. If you want to read a bunch of opinon on what is wrong with the world from the viewpoint of an urban financier from Seattle and his impractical and contradictory views on how to solve our problems then buy this book. If you want something that is useful and practical look elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected., May 23, 2011
The primary purpose I bought this book was to better educate myself on what I can do to somewhat prepare for dealing with the financial future relative to a dollar crash. Some parts of the book are interesting reading, but there were chapters (I'm looking at you Chapter 3) that make the book seem to lack any focus. The author severely overplays the health and environment factors for a book with a title inferring a focus on a dollar crash. It wasn't until page 110 that the author even addressed how people could prepare for what we both agree with come eventually. Even then he did so in a very cursory manner and provided no information that helped me out. In the end, I can't recommend that anybody buy the book because it lacks info that would help people mitigate their risk with the approaching financial collapse.

I should add that the whole "New World Order" is pushed very heavily in this book as if it is a good thing. I found it a bit disturbing how quickly he would cede authority to a worldwide entity. The author rants on and on about the Supreme Court being bought by corporations because he doesn't agree with the latest campaign finance related decision. He provided a LOT of opinions, but almost no information to show why his opinion is rational. Sometimes he just makes ludicrous claims and provides absolutely no reason as to why the reader should agree with him.

UPDATE May 24: I can't get over how little useful information is in this book and reduced the star rating. The author essentially wrote a leftist book with an opinion on environmental policy and how great the New World Order will be once it arrives. Anybody considering this book should know ahead of time that it is not a financial book and lacks information to help you deal with any pending dollar collapse. Instead it is an insight into the author's opinion on how government should operate which I really didn't care to know.

1.0 out of 5 stars Socialist Environmentalist Leanings, February 11, 2011
I thought this book was about the subject of the Title, but started right in on left wing environmentalist lies. It said that 95% of the wood in the United States were gone, and they wanted to cut down the rest. The truth is that forested land in the US has been growing back since 1900. The forested land in Ohio, my state, is over three times the forested area in 1900. When a book starts out with lies at the beginning, it makes it hard to believe the rest, no matter how well it is done. This book also believes in scarcity, instead of the creative abilities of man, another socialist tendency.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Day After The Dollar Crashes, February 23, 2011
This book is worse than a waste of time. much pontification on one world government, environment and other useless diatribe on a host of other issues including Buddahist oneness with everything. No real help on the subject that the title suggests. Glenn Beck got this one wrong.

$29.95 $20.70