The Dead of Night  (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, Book 3)
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$11.52 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 29, 2012
Dan and Amy Cahill continue their quest to save their kidnapped relatives. But first they must rescue Atticus, who has been taken by Casper and Cheyenne Wyoming for being a Guardian. Atticus himself isn't even sure what being a Guardian means, though obviously people are willing to kill for it. However, he refuses to play the helpless victim and attempts to fight back.

The next step in the quest takes our heroes to Samarkand, Uzbekistan where Vesper One orders them to find a stale orb. These instructions are about as clear as a chocolate milkshake, but the Cahill team follows the clues to the Ulugh Beg Observatory. To add a bit more urgency to the task, Vesper One promises to kill one of the hostages if it isn't completed in four days --- and forces Dan and Amy to choose which one.

During their wild search, Dan receives another message from the mysterious AJT. Could this really be his father, who supposedly died nine years ago? These messages are driving Dan over the edge with speculation and anger. He doesn't know what to think, but he does know of one thing he must do --- continue collecting the ingredients to the secret formula --- and is almost halfway there.

Meanwhile, the captive relatives are getting desperate for action. Reagan continues with their physical training, but they are all itching to take a stand. Then Ted notices something with his keen hearing that just might help. They form a plan and execute it --- unfortunately to disastrous results. But the quick-thinking Nellie comes up with an ingenious idea of sending a secret message to Dan and Amy, which could give them a clue on their location.

There is a tornado of plots twisting around in THE DEAD OF NIGHT, and Peter Lerangis keeps the pages turning with tons of nonstop action and high-paced thrills. He ends most chapters with hold-your-breath cliffhangers that make it almost impossible to put the book down. He also creates vivid descriptions, utilizing all of the senses to bring the destinations to life. And in the middle of all the chaos and danger in these faraway lands, Dan and Amy are really growing as characters. Dan battles with the impossible to shallow chance that their dad may still be alive. He's angry, hurt, and trying to deal with the worst possible outcomes, while Amy struggles with the responsibilities of being the leader. It's tough to make life-and-death decisions, but she is learning and taking charge. Atticus, one of the newer characters, is blooming as well; the 11-year-old genius has lots of spunk and is full of surprises.

But it's not all gloom and doom. As in the earlier installments, Book Three has lots of funny parts mixed in with the addictive adventure, fascinating history and intriguing mystery. And it's not over yet! Roland Smith, author of the Storm Runners series, is taking over the next leg of the Cahills vs. Vespers race. The fourth book, SHATTERPROOF, will explode into print in September.

Reviewed by Chris Shanley-Dillman
on April 23, 2012
My son loves the 39 Clues. They are action packed & exciting but they also include history so he can also learn from them.
on March 18, 2012
We are finally on the 3rd part of Cahills vs Vespers. With stakes very high on this part of the story we all wonder how can they make the story more interesting. (Like I said before this is a long running series). With Dan and Amy following again another order from the Vesper One they now go to the majestic place of Samarkand. (When I read that they are going to that place I remember book The Amulet of Samarkand which I still dont have the time to read)

SPOILERS!!!!

I feel like I cant make a proper review without spoiling some part because this happened at the beginning part of the story and is important throughout the whole book.

If you read A King's Ransom you know that Atticus was kidnapped. Avant reading this book, I thought that the whole story will be the typical search for something while also saving Atiicus but I'm glad it didn't happen. The kidnapping incident is resolved easily. And then Atticus and Jake becomes a good additional companion to Dan and Amy. Hooray for more brains and intellect (as if Dan and Amy's skills are not enough)
Also it's not only focused on Dan-Amy group now. You know the term real time? Just like in the style of Dan Brown wherein multiple event are happening at the same time. In this book, Peter makes good use of all the supporting characters or the other members of the Cahill family. Its nice to see that everyone has their own role to play in this whole scenario. I know they have been doing that since Medusa's Plot but here there are some major advance in the plot of the story. (Specially with what they find in Samarkand)

And with the negative opinion. I can't believe my prediction about Dan's character is coming true now. He is now having a dark part inside his character which involves a mixture of sadness. anger, confusion. These are pretty big thing for a boy of that age and the circumstances are not really helping his cause. I think in the next book he will do something big that will probably shock its readers. And did I mentions he now has almost half or half of the ingredients of the serum. I expect that it will be completed in the next one or on the last one (Book 5 is the last one I think)

I end my review there. I hope it did not spoil you too much but I think there are a lot of spoilers in this review haha :D
on March 16, 2012
These are great book sand I would suggest any young person who likes a good mysetry read this eries. I was happy with the quality and the service as I ordered this book.
on March 7, 2012
great book ive been wating for it ever since i finished the last one in this continuation amy and dan have to get "a stale orb" for vesper one but this time with brothers jake and attics rosenbloom vesper onr gets even more cruel and makes them pick which hostage to kill and dan picks alistair oh they have 3 days to complete the task or he dies the hostages make an escape attept tha ends badly but thenks to nellie we find their location in this book we see what seems to be the beggining of a new loveteam pairine jake and amy yes u read right jake and amy while all this is going on ian flies off to visit his mother and dan is still trying to gaher the 39 ingredients we fing out officialy Who ATJ is . my personal theory is that ATJ is not vesper one but dan abviously thinks he is i think there is another twist that follows laer in the story erasmus jonah and hamilton go to pompeii on amys orders amy becomes more of a leader in this book and i cant wait to see how the story plays out in the next book
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 22, 2014
This is another great addition to the series. The mysteries continue, along with other issues. It’s a little dark for a kid’s series. But the writing is great, the characters are well done, and it’s very well-researched. There are a lot of internal issues being explored, as well as the whole hostage situation. Will I continue the series? For sure. Would I recommend this to others? Maybe, but people more my age than middle grade.

See the full review on my blog, Awesome Book Assessment: http://www.awesomebookassessment.com/2014/07/book-review-dead-night-peter-lerangis.html
on April 9, 2015
This has a few spoilers if you haven't read the other 2 books.

As Amy and Dan help Vesper One, they have done many interesting things. This one is one you don't want to miss. With all the 7 Cahill captives suffering, the kids have to first find Atticus who was captured in a bakery truck and find the item Vesper One wants too, a stale orb. With many obstacles along the way, can Amy and Dan find out what a stale orb is and get one, or will a loved one die? Read The Dead of Night to figure out.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Amy and Dan are still following the orders from the Vespers. At the moment, they've lost control of the situation. They didn't share all their information. Vesper One isn't happy.

And there are consequences. Atticus, Dan's only friend who is 11 years old, is kidnapped. The Vespers think he'll have additional information. They interrogate him.

Atticus does remember something, but it didn't come from Amy or Dan. It came from his mother, right before she died. Now he's beginning to understand her mysterious words. It's not a coincidence that he and Dan are friends.

My Thoughts: I really liked this addition to the series. I love the snippets between Amy and Dan - whether they are fighting or kind to each other. They have a great relationship. I liked reading the different perspectives with the other family members trying to help locate the clues and perform research tasks. I like reading about Ian's adventure and his decisions. His actions make me curious and I'm eager to learn more about what he's trying to accomplish. I enjoyed reading the perspectives from the family members in captivity. Their drama makes Amy and Dan's situation more traumatic. I love this series for the plots twists, the siblings' relationship, the puzzles, the danger and the action. I love the historical trivia written into these books. I find them fascinating. The action and danger keeps me turning the page even when I need to stop reading. These books are very hard to put down and I'm happy there's such a short wait time between them.
on March 22, 2012
My daughter's thoughts:

It was so interesting to see what happened next. The books are fun, exciting, and full of action and drama. The kids are spies and it feels like the reader gets to follow along with them on the adventures.

I also really like the books because they come with trading cards that unlock the 39 Clues game online. The reader gets to go on missions and be a spy just like Dan and Amy.

I can not wait for the rest of this series!

My thoughts:

Here's the one that started it all: The 39 Clues Book 1: The Maze Of Bones, the first book in a series of 11 stories. Now we have the next series Cahills vs. Vespers, and it's receiving just as much excitement from middle grade readers and parents alike. Plus, a movie is in the works for 2014, so if you haven't discovered these fun, adventure books yet, then now is the perfect time to get caught up.

This book was actually the first one I've read in this series (while my daughter has read them all), and I really enjoyed it. I was a little confused at first with all the character names, but the author did a great job of sharing just enough to catch me up pretty quickly. These books have the perfect amount of action, quirkiness, and drama to keep readers of all ages engaged and rooting for the good guys to win.

I also love that there is a safe and fun way for readers to take the game online. Scholastic has created an interactive 39 Clues internet site where kids can play games, save the world and also win prizes while doing it. Super fun series and I love all the extras to keep kids involved beyond just the books.

Scholastic Books sent me the above book for review purposes. It will allow me to keep the book. I have no other connection to and have received no other compensation from Scholastic.
on July 7, 2014
George Washington and Lee said he would have to go home early and get it from my phone was on a regular schedule is that it would