5.0 out of 5 stars The most exceptional book on employee retention
This book is helping us win the war for talent. I'm CEO of a company with 3,000 employees and I make every one of our leaders read this book. In the first month of our leaders implementing the techniques in this book, we've seen a 60% reduction in our turnover rates. We've saved over $1 million in turnover costs by reading a book that costs $12.99. Truly amazing...
Published on February 6, 2006 by Paul Woods

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new but a good read
The information is nothing new. Treat your new employees well and they will feel at home.
Published on August 26, 2010 by Labrat

5.0 out of 5 stars The most exceptional book on employee retention, February 6, 2006
This review is from: The Deadly Sins of Employee Retention (Paperback)

Their concept of "Shoves and Tugs" is absolutely brilliant and the most innovative thinking I've seen on the topic of employee retention. By distinguishing between the reasons why people leave and why they stay, we've uncovered the root-cause problems that were causing people to quit. And no employee survey we ever conducted got us even 5% of the information we uncovered with this simple "Shoves and Tugs" script.

And I'm so grateful that they give the exact script that every manager needs to use with their employees. We have many managers that don't have much experience with advanced employee retention efforts, and this book makes it so easy to implement.

They also give the exact process and exact script to use when someone quits but you don't want them to leave. Last week we used this script with 3 people who wanted to quit and we got every one of them to stay.

This is an exceptional book. It's an easy and entertaining read, and it's loaded with hands-on practical tools that leaders can implement immediately. It's also got the most innovative thinking I've ever seen on employee retention, and I've seen everything out there. Whether you're a CEO or a first-time supervisor, this book is a must-read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just opinion. This represents credible research we can learn from., February 6, 2006
This review is from: The Deadly Sins of Employee Retention (Paperback)
Too many business books are opinionated - and use loose magpie collections of evidence to support the writers' sexy headlines and simple main arguments.

Here, by contrast, Murphy and partner Burgio-Murphy work from the ground up, using a vast survey of 100,000 business leaders (mid-level up to senior) to build a picture of what employment and HR strategies help minimise the risk of a good employee moving on. (The people they interviewed were responsible for 20,000 hires during the survey period - and the success of these was tracked over time.) The authors highlight five top reasons why organisations have a demonstrably poor retention rate of new employees. In order the reasons for 'moving on' are;

- Coachability (26%): The ability to accept and implement feedback from bosses, colleagues, customers and others.

- Emotional Intelligence (23%): The ability to understand and manage one's own emotions, and accurately assess others' emotions.

- Motivation (17%): Sufficient drive to achieve one's full potential and excel in the job.

- Temperament (15%): Attitude and personality suited to the particular job and work environment.

- Technical Competence (11%): Functional or technical skills required to do the job.

In hindsight, many interviewers look back and realise that they saw the signs back at the interview stage, but were perhaps distracted by other issues - the technical competencies, the need to fill the gap quickly - and this volume encourages managers and supervisors to help employees operate more functionally within the organisation. The inherent argument in this book is that employees are often "left to their own devices" once they're hired, and yet with some simple interventions, (a little shoving and tugging) in the form of coaching, mentoring and discussion in the above skills, the outcome can be happy for all parties.

Great advice, just 102 pages (you want longer?) and a negligible entry price. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful management tool, February 15, 2006
This review is from: The Deadly Sins of Employee Retention (Paperback)
I found this book not only helpful, but also readable, useful and manageable -- in a way that most wordy, lengthy business books are not. It offers concrete, helpful, immediately-applicable advice for dealing with the biggest headache of management--keeping and motivating good employees. I plan to use it as a constant reference tool. Mark Murphy's work has been very helpful to me overall--he's a fresh-thinking guru on management issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Purchase, January 18, 2008
This review is from: The Deadly Sins of Employee Retention (Paperback)
This is the the most practicle book on employee retention we have purchased. It's short, straight forward, and gives you a plan of action.. rather than just pie in the sky ideas. We were able to implement several ideas from the book within the first 7 days. Our managers were each given a copy, and they also implemented specific, trackable policies within the first 7 days of receiving the book as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Murphys taught me to be a better manager, April 10, 2006
Dennis Hoffman (Frederick, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Deadly Sins of Employee Retention (Paperback)
As my company grew into the hundreds, my old leadership style didn't work anymore. The common sense techniques in Mark's book make my life easier, my employees happier, and my business more successful. The Deadly Sins of Employee Retention is mandatory reading for our managers. I learn more every time I pick it up. -- Dennis Hoffman, President, CashBox

4.0 out of 5 stars The Deadly Sins of Employee Retention, March 20, 2006
This review is from: The Deadly Sins of Employee Retention (Paperback)
There were many things in the book I was already aware of but it offered some new insights as well. It was short and a quick read which I appreciate when trying to read business related materials.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, March 13, 2006
Donald H. Sabathier "godons" (Pearland, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Deadly Sins of Employee Retention (Paperback)
This is a superb book for some one who is just starting to investigate the subject of employee retention. It is short, easy to understand, and flows well. The information that is provided is practical and timely. A quick read on the subject of employee retention for those who do not have a lot of time to find, read, and analyze the multitude of books available on the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, July 15, 2013
This review is from: The Deadly Sins of Employee Retention (Paperback)
Easy to pick up and read. We also purchased "Retaining Valued Employees" as we are trying to keep our main team together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and useful, April 10, 2008
This review is from: The Deadly Sins of Employee Retention (Paperback)
I ordered this book because I saw it associated with some training and wanted to check out the content without attending the class. This was a quick read (approx 45 min). What I liked best about this book was that it offered practical, simple suggestions for action. I gave this to my boss to read and she asked me to order several more to share with others. This is a quick, simple book that is worth taking the time to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new but a good read, August 26, 2010

The Deadly Sins of Employee Retention
The Deadly Sins of Employee Retention by Mark A. Murphy (Paperback - January 17, 2006)
$12.99 $12.34