Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Deluxe Transitive Vampire: The Ultimate Handbook of Grammar for the Innocent, the Eager, and the Doomed
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on July 13, 2010
This is probably one of the most quirky grammar guides that I've ever read, but I really liked it. I think that book is really interesting with all of the pretty pictures and funny sentence examples.

After reading this book many times, it has greatly improved my grammar because it was the only grammar book that I had ever read cover to cover. Some pars were a little lacking, but the whimsical feeling of the book won me over.
on February 8, 1997
A wonderful book to introduce (or brush up on) the rules of grammar without ever forgetting the beauty and playfulness of the language. As a teacher, I owe a debt of thanks to Ms. Gordon and her gothic cast of characters in the _The Deluxe Transitive Vampire_ for giving me a text will help me to show my students the heights that their writing can achieve.

Chris Lehmann
on December 15, 2012
This is a story like grammar book and it does not give its audiences any pressure or pain while learning. The author has given bizarre and quirky, but interesting and unforgettable examples. Also, she has put on beautiful drawings at the margin to match her examples. She uses brief explanation to clearly explain her examples.
on December 16, 2010
I bought this for my 3 teens to use, and so far the oldest has read it, and said it helped him immensely. It is very well-written, and the information presented is easy to understand, while not being supremely boring.
on April 13, 2006
Absolutely wonderful, fun book. I used it recently to teach adults in my classes on Memoir. They needed help in understanding verbs and basic sentence structure--very helpful and a great teaching tool!
VINE VOICEon March 22, 2008
The vampire book is certainly different in its wit, elaborate examples and the associated drawings. The author has made a valiant effort to spice up the subject. This isn't exactly "(You) see Spot run."

A strength is Ms. Gordon's naming of the various forms, which is always nice to hear, distinguishing gerunds from participle phrases, and so on. Another is the sheer volume of examples that give more reason to slip in some more bizarre words.

What I found a bit lacking was crisp definition of some terms and rules. Some times the author was spot on when she decided to elaborate further, whereas with others the examples and a few introductory sentences didn't quite cover the subject. I wouldn't use this book as the last word in grammar disputes.

The first third or half drags compared to the second half, perhaps because of the need to get through the basics before the "good stuff". That reminds me: I never thought I'd see a grammar book with bare-breasted women.

I found "Woe is I" to be a better book for actual instruction. The two make an interesting pair.

3.5 stars
on October 26, 2004
I found this to be an excellent addition to the curriculum when I was teaching English abroad. If nothing else, it's a great book to bring into the classroom around Halloween, especially if you add some activities to the lessons. I don't imagine it would be very much fun to just hang out and read this book for pleasure, but it really helped me keep my students' attention in class.
on March 2, 2011
I love it when my reference books do the work for me. This book is an elegant, witty read with deft explanations of the logic and application of grammatical principles.
on September 30, 2011
I purchased this for a refresher on grammar and to assist my young son with grammar. This describes in great detail both proper and improper grammar.
on February 10, 2012
It's a great book for reviewing grammer basics. Lots of examples. Easy to understand. Drawings are nifty. Entertaining and helpful.