5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
I DID NOT LIKE THE MOVIE.BUT I RATE YOU EXCELLENT
Published 5 months ago by ARTHUR TRAVIS

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent zombie flick but with zero gore...
Published 17 months ago by Matthew Scott Baker

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent zombie flick but with zero gore..., July 25, 2013
Anchor Bay's most recent zombie flick, THE DEMENTED, is sure to continue a bit of discussion that has plagued the zombie community over the past several years: can a creature be classified as a `zombie' if it runs? To me, I don't suppose I really care whether or not they move quickly, as long as they haven't been dead for a while (I think a body that has been rotting for 10 years would have a hard time getting around at any speed). But regardless of which side of the fence you are on, this is one film you should check out anyway. Be forewarned, however...it does not introduce anything new and barely has any gore.

THE DEMENTED caught me by surprise. I wasn't expecting what I got, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I wanted to like it up front because the beautiful and talented Sarah Butler is in it, but I was surprised to find out she was not the main character. And although I enjoyed it on the whole, the film does have some glaring flaws. Even so, the movie is pretty good overall and a decent addition to the modern-day zombie canon.

The acting in this film is good, with the aforementioned Sarah Butler doing a fantastic job in her role. But Kayla Ewell, the woman portraying the main character of Taylor, is who really steals the show. Ewell tackles her role with enthusiasm, and is a true talent to watch for in the future.

THE DEMENTED is also shot well and the production value looks fairly high. However there are two major issues that I have with this film. First, the ending is beyond horrible. I initially thought the filmmakers had messed up and sent the wrong thing to print...but from what I understand, this was the way they intended to end the film. I will not disclose any spoilers, but I seriously hope the production team never does anything like this in future films.

Secondly, there is practically no gore in the film at all. For me, you can't make a good zombie flick without gore. It simply has to be there. Period. I don't know if budget constraints kept them from adding any, but I would have been happy to see chocolate syrup and corn syrup all over the place as opposed to nothing.

These two issues with THE DEMENTED should not be enough to dissuade you from seeing the film, though; on the contrary, I would love for more people to watch the ending, just to make sure I'm not being critical for the wrong reason. And, aside from the two problems I noted, there's nothing else wrong with the film. It has tension where needed and moves at a nice pace. The `zombies' will eat you if they catch you, and there's really not much else you need.

I recommend giving the film a look next week when it is released. And after you watch it, hop back here or on Facebook and let us know what you think. After all, regardless of whether they are shambling or sprinting, zombies always make great conversation pieces.

2.0 out of 5 stars where have all the good zombies gone?, August 12, 2013
This movie is just another zombie movie with sub par zombie effects... I could come up with better special effects with paper mache... but in this movies defense i havent seen a decent zombie movie since the 80's/ early 90's... hoping World War Z comes out on Amazon soon... id really like to see just one more decent zombie movie in my lifetime.

2.0 out of 5 stars A WATER SLIDE?, July 20, 2013
This review is from: The Demented (DVD)
This is a low budget wannabe zombie flick. Three bikini teases and their boyfriends spend some time away from their college studies to have some fun in rural Louisiana. While a slow motion camera films them playing on a kids water slide (the hill wasn't that steep and the slide wasn't that long) and tossing a Nerf football (can't you feel the adrenaline rush?), NuBuck (Michael Welch) gets a call from his father claiming that terrorist missiles are on the way.

Our couples are spared a direct hit, but a biological agent is spread about causing a rabies like infection in people and animals. The zombie craze has turned from slow foot dragging, return from the dead, zombies to fast moving unthinking pack animals that attack uninfected people. Our couples' goal is to escape the quarantined area without being bit by anything.

The film boasts a metal sound track, bad dialog, with stiff characters played by actors that haven't reached their potential. I did like the infected dog.

This is the first attempt by writer/director Christopher Roosevelt, whose resume includes being the producer of "Ninja Cheerleaders." It shows promise. It would have been nice if he had created clever dialog characters. The boyfriend cheating drama went nowhere and I am not sure why that was even tossed in. We could have had another two minutes of bikini girls on the slip and slide.

Parental Guidance: F-bomb. No sex or nudity.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor man's walking dead, August 7, 2013
If you love the walking dead series and expect this movie to be as good, you're in for a huge disappointment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sucked, August 18, 2013
Waste of time and money. A turd in a diarrhea avalanche. If the Zombie Apocalypse ever happens and I am trapped with a group like this I will willingly douse myself with Heinz 57 sauce and crowd surf the first Zombie horde I encounter.

2.0 out of 5 stars No Gore All Bore!!, August 6, 2013
Avoid this movie like the plague. The stuntmen and stuntwomen are amazing but the movie is a big green bad CG stink bomb. Nothing new here. Go watch 28 Days Later, World War Z, Silent Hill or Dawn of the Dead instead.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Demented, August 13, 2013
Caught this one on PPV; want my money back!! As someone in an earlier review pointed out, this really isn't a zombie flick so much as it is a tale about a bioterrorist attack somewhere in the middle of Louisiana. The people do not turn into zombies; they are just really manical and savage. Six 30-year olds (playing teens) decide to get together at somebody's mansion for boozing, losing, and lord, I don't know. One of the things I thought was so hilarious was they played on a water slide!! I know we're trying to save money, guys, but couldn't you have found a swimming pool somewhere? Anyway, a terrorist attack happens and the little animals and people suddenly become savages.

I cannot agree with some of the others about this film. I found the production values near nil, and the acting--for the most part--just did not cut it. In these types of films, there is ALWAYS the brainy one, the nymphette, the horn-dog, and Sister Mary Virgin. Trouble is, not ONE of these characters did I care about. There is ABSOLUTELY next to no violence and certainly no GORE. Why this was rated R is again a question for you guys to figure out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does keep your attention..., August 23, 2014
L Salisbury (Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Demented (DVD)
This is far from the greatest walking cadaver film ever made but this "Miricle Mile"/"Night of the Living Dead" hybrid, in spite of its flaws, does grab your attention span- especially near the end. After getting off to a bad start (who cares about some melodramitic love trangle crap) the Miricle Mile warhead hits followed by a walking dead dog and the usual walking (more like running) corpses. The characters aren't too bright, at least not at first (horror movies with smart people are RARE!), but as they make their escape you're suddenly no longer groaning at them but actually routing for them!
Much like the French WW2 film "Train of Life" "The Demented" has two endings- at least I'm assuming that's what the producers had in mind. You choose either the happy ending or the not-so-happy one. You decide...

3.0 out of 5 stars "The Demented" Provides Minor Zombie Thrills and Chills, August 17, 2013
Does the world really need another zombie movie? Walk into any store that sells DVDs and most people would scream "No!" I've said it before and I'll say it again. There must be three zombie movies coming out every week. The hard thing for viewers to do is try to pick which one they should devote an hour and a half of their time to. Thankfully, you have a guy like me who wastes way too many moments watching movies like Anchor Bay Entertainment's "The Demented" to keep you from doing the same.

Six college friends meet for a fun weekend at a Louisiana bayou estate for beers, water sliding (yes, water sliding), and good times. Just as the fun begins, the group is warned that the U.S. is being attacked by terrorists using biological weapons. Their hopes of being far from the danger zone are dashed when one of the enemy bombers crashes outside the nearest city. The chemical the plane was carrying infects the entire community by turning them into ravenous flesh-eating killers.

If this setup sounds familiar it should. It's been used in 95% of every zombie film you've seen. The problem with "The Demented" is it's a zombie movie with no "oomph!" Sure, the ones here are wild-eyed, bloody fast-running zombies and all. None of that matters, though, without some solid headshots or real gore.

"The Demented" is edited like the "Friday the 13th" movies in the late 1980s and early 1990s. All the graphic violence happens off-screen. While that "less-is-more" technique works with some horror thrillers, it really doesn't with films featuring the walking dead or undead.

I will give credit to Director/Writer Christopher Roosevelt for one thing. The guy tries to get you to care about his characters. Even if they all come across as a bunch of whiny rich kids, he takes the time and attempts to give them some sort of personalities and backgrounds. This always helps to get the audience connected so we care when these people die horribly later on.

There's also an interesting characteristic the zombies have that sets them apart from their counterparts in other movies of this nature. They freeze when they can't sense any activity around them, resembling the disturbing nurses in the "Silent Hill" movies. The concept is intriguing, even if it does borrow a bit from the zombies that sleep while standing up in "Steve Niles' Remains."

Director/Writer Roosevelt pulled out all the stops when picking an affordable cast that would appeal to horror fans and teens. "The Demented" stars Michael Welch ("The Twilight Saga"), Sarah Butler ("I Spit on Your Grave"), Kayla Ewell ("The Vampire Diaries"), and Richard Kohnke ("The Carrie Diaries"). They'll all no doubt grab individuals familiar with their separate works in those movies and TV shows.

"The Demented" is rated R because of its strong language. I've seen more gore and violence and heard heavier sexual innuendos in a PG-13 film. No flesh is bared besides the girls running around in their bikinis.

There are no special features to be found for "The Demented." I usually comment that it would be nice to see how the movie was made. However, if you've seen any "Behind the Scenes" featurette for any zombie movie, you already know in this case.

If you're hanging out with someone who doesn't like overly graphic movies but is looking for some scares, "The Demented" might come in handy. True gorehounds looking for decapitations and gunshots to the head need to move on to something else. There's nothing to see here.

"The Demented" is available now on Blu-ray, DVD, and as a Digital Download.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 4, 2014
ARTHUR TRAVIS (AVON PARK, FLORIDA, US) - See all my reviews
I DID NOT LIKE THE MOVIE.BUT I RATE YOU EXCELLENT

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Demented
The Demented by Christopher Roosevelt (DVD - 2013)
$24.98 $8.99