The Demonata #3: Slawter: Book 3 in the Demonata series
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$8.89 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 1, 2006
Format: Hardcover
First of all, you have to read the first two books: Lord Loss and Demon Theif. The third book is so action packed and scary. This book is full of foreshadowing and you won't even see it coming you want to read it to the end. Its amazing. These are one of my favorite books, it sucks you into reading other scary books, and i love it. Darren Shan writes with a touch of Stephen King, which makes it a unique way of writing. I am almost finished with "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" and it is scary and awesome. I got sucked into this book because of the Demonata series. READ THIS SERIES AND YOUR PERSPECTIVE OF READING WILL CHANGE IN A GOOD WAY! this reading is for all ages.
Format: Hardcover
Darren Shan is at the top of his form in his latest masterpiece of gruesome demons and terror. This third book in the DEMONATA series picks up where Demonata #2, The: Demon Thief: Book 2 in The Demonata series (Demonata) left us. Dervish is almost back to normal. Grubitsch Grady, better known as Grubbs, and his half-brother, Bill-E, are trying to live a normal life without demons. A group called The Lambs want to take Bill-E to their lab and observe and test him to see if he is really cured of lycanthropy. Uncle Dervish and Grubbs are certainly not going to allow that. Then Dervish is approached by acclaimed horror movie producer, David A. Haym, or "Davida," who wants Dervish to be a consultant on her new film. She has resurrected a ghost town and renamed it Slawter. Her masterpiece will have a demon theme, and Dervish, of course, is a demon expert.

The demons that romp through SLAWTER seem all too real to Grubbs and he begins to wonder whether more than filming is afoot when strange happenings disrupt the set and the filming. He can't seem to convince Uncle Dervish that real demons are on the loose, and are not just ingenious costumes. People begin to disappear. Is Lord Loss back in business?

Darren Shan broke new ground with his bestselling CIRQUE DU FREAK series, and now his DEMONATA series promises to be as great a hit with the kids. Shan is a master at characterization and plotting, and the fear factor raises your goose-bumps to a new height. I would not recommend this series for children ages ten and under, but for older kids that love scary stories with lots of gruesome gore, this book fits that category. The reluctant readers will love this exciting, horrific story.

Reviewed by: Grandma Bev
on November 3, 2006
Format: Hardcover
Wow, I gotta say that this book was much scarier than the last two. Maybe it was because I was reading the book late at night. I was reading the book near 9pm until 2 in the morning because it was so hard to put down....... very addicting, but after I finish reading the book, I started to see weird things in the house, the book gave me weird ideas that demons are everywhere, but then again, I do have a wIn the middle of the story, it was kind of confusing, but then you have think real hard on what iild imagination for a 18 years old college freshmen. ^-^

There is this one part in the story where it might be confusing for you. It did for me, but I understood what Mr.Shan was trying to do.

For some reason, I see the Demonata serie as the the children version of Stephen King's books, but this is so much better!! Maybe it is because I am highly obssessed with demons and vampires. (^-^)

So what are you waiting for? GO BUY IT!!
on January 3, 2007
Format: Hardcover
It's a demon. Five long, spindly legs. The body of a giant ant. A long neck and the head of some sort of rabid monkey. No arms, but several small mouths in addition to its main one, sticking out of its body, set on mushroom-like stalks. The mouths are filled with blood-red, dagger-sharp teeth.

Here he goes again! Grubbs is back, but unfortunately so is Lord Loss. So many good things are happening in the life of Grubbs Grady --- his Uncle Dervish seems to be recovering from the last demon encounter; he, Grubbs and cousin Bill-E are becoming closer; and to top it all off, they are consulting with the great director, Davida Haym, on her newest movie. Maybe life is going to settle down for them. At least this is what everyone wishes.

On the movie set, Grubbs begins to grow very suspicious about a lot of things. The film Davida is working on is just too close to home. She wants to make a horror movie to end all horror movies, and demons are the main theme. In the very first demon scene, Grubbs knows there is trouble afoot --- that demon looks too familiar and is much too realistic. He is assured time and again that everything and everyone is just fine. There is absolutely nothing to worry about --- it's all movie magic, latex and great costumes. Even Uncle Dervish feels that Grubbs is totally overreacting. But is he?

Soon, people are missing and Grubbs is picking up a distinct pulse of magic. Magic becomes possible for Grubbs only when he is exposed to a dangerous demon situation. Finally, in a desperate attempt to prove that he's right, Grubbs and his friends search for the hot spot of activity on the movie set.

Demons don't appear out of thin air. They have to be summoned. Their universe has to merge with ours. A window or tunnel between worlds has to be opened...there has to be a place where they crossed. A secret place. A place nobody but their human partners can get into.

Their gruesome and heartbreaking discovery convinces Grubb's friends that the Demonata has indeed returned. Now everyone must be told, and they need to run while there is still a chance. Unfortunately, it might be too late because Lord Loss and Davida have formed a pact. Who else will have to die now?

This time we find that Grubbs has learned he has amazing magical powers. While these powers serve him well in fighting the demons, he is a reluctant participant because he knows what it means:

I can't escape. The universe of the Demonata will call to the magic within me and suck me back in. I know it will. This isn't over, not by a long shot.

Darren Shan once again has created a fast-paced, terrifically gruesome story. Fans will not be disappointed by the blood and mutilations in this third of the series, because by now readers know just what they will be getting when they tackle one of the Demonata books. Just when you think it can't get worse, it does. We will find out more in May 2007 when the fourth book in the series, BEC, comes out. Better practice some magic!

--- Reviewed by Sally M. Tibbetts (stibbetts@maine207west.k12.il.us)
on October 23, 2006
Format: Hardcover
This book picks up where the first left off,with Dervish back to his sense's (almost) and grubbs trying to live a normal life. But Dervish is having terrible nightmares and things only get worse when the lambs put in their first appearance. Shortly after dervish is approached by a famous horror movie producer who wants him to be a consultant on her new film entitled SLAWTER. Dervish agrees and decides to take Grubbs and billy along, but grubbs sense's that there is something foul afoot. Could his battle with the demon master lord loss be about to resume? This book was great the only reason I took off a star was because I personly did'nt like the movie theme but if you loved the other two books then you'll love this one.Go darren shan!
on February 28, 2007
Format: Hardcover
Grubbs Grady's favorite horror movie director comes to town to invite him and his uncle Deverish to be on set of her new horror movie. It ends up that they are all tricked onto the set and cannot get out. Lord Loss, a rival demon, slaughters everyone. But following a big fight Grubbs and his uncle escape with lucky survivors.
on December 5, 2006
Format: Hardcover
When I got this book I thought it was going to be like the last two. I was wrong; this book is more entertaining and exciting then the last two.

Grubbs Grady is trying to get his life on track after saving his brother from turning into a werewolf. His uncle Dervish is almost back to normal after fighting lord loss. In this book Dervish is called to do a movie with a famous horror director. It turns out it is a trap set by lord loss. I can't believe that Dervish and Grubbs escaped from the grasps of lord loss for the second time in a row but in return many civilians were slaughtered.

This book is a great book for young adults, but I am not sure about children because there is a lot of graphic violence. I can't wait until Darren Shaw comes out with the fourth book Bec.
on January 7, 2007
Format: Hardcover
My son got me turned on to Shan's Cirque De Freake series. When I saw the first Demonata book come out I snatched it up and absolutely loved it! I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Shan when he did a book signing and reading in Seattle and I must say he was the nicest guy, so I might be a little biased when reviewing his books. I tend to want to support those who are just amazing people. However, the Demonata series is worth the read, all three books are fantastic (read them in order), they are scary, gruesome at times, but Shan has an incredible creativity that breathes life into his characters and plot just when you think everything has already been done.
Format: Hardcover
I picked this book up, read for an hour, and tried, in vain, to stop reading, and get some rest. Needless to say, it didn't work, and for the next hour and a half I read, until I had finished the book.

For anyone who was disappointed by Sons of Destiny (from the Cirque Du Freak series) and The Demon Theif (I know I was), this should be a relief. Not only does Shan write an a more compelling story than the last one, but he finally seems to have lightened up a bit. I know that seriousness was necessary for the end of the Cirque Du Freak series, and for the last book, narrated by another character (I won't say who, just for anyone who hasn't read it yet), but it was still nice to see Grubbs back, as sarcastic and witty as ever.

Pretty much, when something goes terribly wrong on the set of Grubb's favorite horror movie director's newest set, he, Dervish, and Bill-E are forced to confront Lord Loss once again. It sounds cliched, and like it shouldn't be good at all. Trust me on this one; it is.

While only the last chapter or so (seemingly) has anything to do with the rest of the series, this was still a good read. Definitely lighter than the last few by Shan (they have the potential to get dark, if not for the almost unfailing sarcasm of his main-characters) and also better woven, with (a few) twists and turns in the plot, this is definitely a good read.
on February 8, 2009
Format: Paperback
It's been four months since Grubbs Grady's uncle Dervish came back from the world of the Demonata and he has been having terrible nightmares. Grubbs has to lock up the weapons and hold Dervish down at night. One day after Grubbs comes home from school, he finds out Dervish got a phone call from David A. Haym, a famous movie director. She wants to come over and talk to Dervish about her next film. Then he meets one of the Lambs, Prae Ahtim. She wants to take Bill-E away to conduct experiments on him. Soon after, David A. Haym comes and they find out that she is making a new movie and wants Dervish to tell her all he knows about demons. Dervish gets a job as an advisor on the set but something isn't right. Grubbs feels that the demons that are supposed to be mechanical are real. Dervish also is acting strange, and Bill-E is kidnapped. Grubbs needs to figure out what's up, before everyone ends of killed.

SLAWTER is the third book of Shan's Demonata series and in my opinion ranks as the best of all four. Keep in mind though, all are five star books. I've said this before and will again and again and again. Darren Shan is such a great writer.

(Review by Jim, my middle son.)