5.0 out of 5 stars INSANELY good compilation of styles and inspiration
First, if you don't have the first one, you're missing out. They fit together perfectly... hopefully the start of a long series!

The Web Designer's Idea Book: The Ultimate Guide To Themes, Trends & Styles In Website Design

Published on September 2, 2010 by TexasAggie

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, pretty skimpy book
Published on January 30, 2011 by E. Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars INSANELY good compilation of styles and inspiration, September 2, 2010
TexasAggie (College Station, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Web Designer's Idea Book, Vol. 2: More of the Best Themes, Trends and Styles in Website Design (Paperback)

Like the first volume, this is full of carefully picked examples of the best in modern web design. It's organized into very clever topics making it the perfect reference book. It's loaded with screenshots, screenshots, and more screenshots... just as before, but all new, and more recent.

In this version, the screenshots are even larger and easier to pick up on detail and text. They've also included "Developer Notes" which I think are pretty insightful and in context.

If you are involved in web design in any way (even if you're hiring other people to do it), this book will be super handy. The two editions are the same size and style... they're intended to be on the bookshelf together. With the two combined, there must be a thousand organized designs to look through. The amount of work that went into collecting such quality work without "filler" junk is astounding.

I'm really impressed... if you can't tell!

On the negative side: I'd personally prefer these came in large hardback coffee-table books. While maybe not as handy, it certainly would be great to have around the agency. Maybe after the 3rd edition, they should release a combined volume!

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, pretty skimpy book, January 30, 2011
I think this book has a brilliant and potentially terrifically useful idea -- lots of examples of great websites -- but unfortunately the book was mostly useless for me. The main problem is perhaps subjective -- the author seems most interested in the design principles from the 90s -- flipping through the book, about HALF the examples feature a white font with a black (or very dark) background. Those of us with high-converting websites know that most major sites (e-commerce, publishing, major blogs with lots of traffic, social sites, search sites -- basically, most companies that make money) eschew these aesthetics because they convert POORLY. Those kinds of pages might look great in a museum, but they make less money on the web. The author dedicates 5 pages to "ultra-clean" design -- those 5 pages were useful for the kind of information I am looking for. But, if you are making a graphics intensive website that prioritizes very interesting visuals over what many people have learned actually converts and succeeds (clean design, clarity, clear all to action, simplicity, etc.), this book could be 4 stars for you (it wouldn't be a 5 star for anyone, IMO, because it's too short and the analysis is way too skimpy).

5.0 out of 5 stars Where design is going ..., September 2, 2010
This the second of two comprehensive, up to date books. Great for the talented wanna-be web designer or already-is web designer but needs inspiration to get to the next level and see patterns in beautiful web design. Organization of this book is beautifully laid out and easy to reference. The author really knows good web design. The pictures are rich with color. Absolutely love the spot varnish on the cover.
Anyone who wants to know where design is going should buy this book. I have ordered several for my friends who are thinking of getting into this field or already are...!

3.0 out of 5 stars The right idea, implemented poorly, December 30, 2010
This book has a lot of examples and good information, however, ITS TOO SMALL. The entire purpose of looking at this book it to see the design clearly including every spec. Honestly, I don't see why the author would choose to make this book so small. If I had known I wouldnt have bought it. One can argue that you can use the links provided under the design but that defeats the purpose of buying the book entirely. I bought this book so when im on my couch relaxing i could skim through it to keep my mind fresh with ideas. But I often find myself throwing my face into it so that i can see it better and it doesn't work. It frustrates me and my eyes eventually hurt. On a good note, if you own a magnifying glass you're all set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Talk about Inspiration, November 10, 2010
FluidSign (Honolulu, HI USA) - See all my reviews
I love this book. From the second it arrived, I've been pouring through the pages again and again. I'm a web design student; thus, I'm always working on multiple sites at a time. Each time I hit a new design phase for a site, I pick up this book and thumb through it. I see new ideas every time I open the book. I tag pages with ideas I might like to implement. My book has little tags hanging out of it all over the place. It's nice that ideas are modern and visual. If you design sites, I can't see how this book wouldn't inspire you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reference book for when you have an artist block or need that spark of inspiration, July 19, 2011
This is not a book you read from cover to cover. Its primary goal isn't to teach you CSS, how to use graphic design software, or how to do web design. It's a reference book as its title implies. There are tidbits of useful advice scattered about from various industry professionals.

The author, however, makes it clear that copying an entire design is tacky and unprofessional. Use this book when you're running low on creative juices. Pick elements you like from multiple designs and mix-and-match to cater to your tastes or for your client.

In an effort to build my references library, I added this to my collection. Looking forward to getting the other series. Good for any front-end developer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read before putting up your site, June 1, 2011
Walter G. Gozar "jrwggozar" (QC, Metro Manila Philippines) - See all my reviews
I like this book because it is written for designers and from the perspective of a designer. Chapter 2, Basic Design Principles, would be particularly useful, especially for young designers. The chapter guides the reader to many important considerations in developing designs. The rest of the book are examples of good website designs. Obviously, the selection of examples was based on the principles presented at the start. I miss the color palettes though that was provided in volume one of the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars great reference book, March 11, 2011
This is a great book to start generating ideas for a web site redesign or starting a new site. Because every book must have a peer review before publishing many of the examples are thoughtful and succinct. Because it is a book for web design and the web changes so fast by the time it was published some examples are already dated. Never the less it still helps generate great ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Title Says It All, December 30, 2010
This book delivers on it's promise of great ideas in web design. It has been one of the most truly enjoyable books I have read and has given me tons of inspiration. Not only does the book give you thumbnails of designs, it provides reasons for why these designs are successful and breaks down the elements of design used in each. I will definitely be purchasing the first volume as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars The cure to designer's block!, September 24, 2010
I bought both volumes of this book and I'm impressed. They are both full of unique and beautiful websites. I feel as though the author was reading my mind, picking only the best websites that truly are like interactive works of art. It is the cure to my designer's block!

These books are made to work together and combine into a huge collection of some of the world's most truly awesome-looking websites. One isn't complete without the other, so if you buy it, be sure to buy volume 1!

$30.00 $19.89