4.0 out of 5 stars Not nearly as bad as most peoPle are saying
Published on April 7, 2012 by B. Stasiak

3.0 out of 5 stars I Have to Defend This Movie a Little (Includes Spoilers)
Published on February 16, 2012 by Jen @ Scream Kabob

4.0 out of 5 stars Not nearly as bad as most peoPle are saying, April 7, 2012
This review is from: The Devil Inside (DVD)
I'm honestly shocked too see so many bad reviews. This movie was clever, disturbing, original, convincing and well-acted. There was nothing pedestrian about it, and it seems most people who dislike it tend to like the average, predictable films there are too many of. Many, not all seem to enjoy these. I for one love scary movies but hate gore, and hate predictable, disposable movies with a passion. I typically agree with the audience when there's a massive number of thumbs-down, but in this particular case, I completely disagree. Someone even said it was "boring". I wasn't bored for a second, so I have no idea what they're talking about, but I guess if you don't like movies about exorcisms or hauntings, you'll dislike this as well, obviously. As far as exorcism films go, it's one of the better I've seen.

3.0 out of 5 stars I Have to Defend This Movie a Little (Includes Spoilers), February 16, 2012
This review is from: The Devil Inside (DVD)
The Devil Inside opens with footage of a 1989 news story about an eerie 9-1-1 call made by Maria Rossi (played by Suzan Crowley) where she calmly confesses to brutally murdering three people. Twenty years later, her daughter Isabella is filming a documentary about exorcism in an attempt to understand the truth about what happened to her mother, and she travels to the Centrino Hospital for the Criminally Insane in Italy where her mother is a patient. Along the way, Isabella stops by a school in Rome and recruits two young priests to assist her in determining whether her mother is just mentally ill or demonically possessed. When the group attempts to treat Isabella's mom using unconventional methods combining both medicine and religion, they come face-to-face with four sinister demons who have possessed Maria, and one of them may even be the Devil itself.

This film opened very strong at the box office but dropped drastically in its second week, likely due to extremely negative (and in my opinion somewhat undeserved) reviews. I saw this film on opening night and I could tell that the sold out theater did not enjoy this movie. People may have even booed at the end. However, even though I didn't absolutely love this movie and it *completely* falls off the rails in its final minutes, there are a few things to really like about this movie. Even other horror film directors like Ti West are bashing The Devil Inside in interviews (even though Mr. West's own new release The Inn Keepers fails to deliver originality, decent acting, or scares), so I feel like I need to defend this film a little because Crowley was incredibly strong and scary as a possessed Maria Rossi, and the movie had great potential with some really original and interesting concepts, even if those ideas were not supremely executed.

There is a scene in this movie where Isabella first visits her mother in the asylum that I found extremely tense and chilling. Maria has awesome upside down crosses carved into her arms and even her bottom lip, and when she speaks she comes off very menacing, even though she is merely pacing slowly around the room and talking in a very calm and quiet voice. Maria knows things about Isabella that she could not know, and she repeatedly mutters an unintelligible phrase under her breath that you eventually come to realize is "connect the cuts" (referring to connecting all of Maria's upside down crosses cut out all over her body). This scene was perfection and really stuck with me. I found myself uttering "connect the cuts" a million times and I know I annoyed my boyfriend for days after seeing this movie with my "connect the cuts" outbursts. I couldn't help it, though; it is addictive and feels really good and creepy at the same time as it rolls off the tongue. You should try it and you'll see what I mean. It takes some practice and isn't easy to master either, which makes me appreciate Crowley's acting even more. She was so effective in this scene and I really would have liked to have seen more of her character in this movie. I could have done without the other cookie cutter exorcism Isabella attends with her two priests and could have used a lot more of Maria Rossi.

I also really enjoyed watching Isabella, her two priests, and her cameraman slowly devolve into madness after performing an exorcism on Maria Rossi. Instead of just having the demons instantly jump from Maria to the others during the exorcism as you would typically expect from this kind of film, Isabella and her cohorts appear to be just fine after the exorcism and instead slowly start to display signs of mental illness in the days following the exorcism. Even though movies rarely present it this way, I imagine in "real life," possession would come on slowly and the demon would start taking over the possessed person's thoughts and behaviors gradually over time, leading observers to think the person was just mentally ill. Here, we can tell that something isn't quite right because Isabella is acting agitated and bitchy inconsistent with her normal personality, and the generally righteous, patient, and optimistic priest named David is acting uncharacteristically cold and anxious. Things of course escalate and all hell breaks loose in the final few minutes of the film, but I really liked the film's concept of possession. We learned things about Maria Rossi during this film that also seem to suggest that Maria was a little uncharacteristically depressed and distant in the months leading up to the night she killed those three people, so it would appear that Maria was taken over slowly as well. There is a lot of potential with this unique idea, even though it wasn't executed that well in the film's final scene, and I enjoyed The Devil Inside for that reason.

If I had made this movie, though, I would have taken this concept a little further and would have had the four demons fight each other for dominance and territory while inhabiting the bodies of Isabella and her companions. I would have had each demon trying to subtly "one up" the others until the four characters in the film had to battle it out to see which demon would prevail and which three would be left without a host when their human shells were ultimately destroyed. Since demons are always incredibly evil and just want to inhabit the innocent and wreak havoc on the world, I imagine they would not like each other very much either and wouldn't want to share one body. Maybe the four demons who possessed Maria Rossi for so long were all just itching to find new and younger bodies to inhabit on their own so they could then take out the competition. Just a thought.

Read all of my horror movie reviews at my page Scream Kabob.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you ich for watching a Exorcist film, about exorcists..., December 8, 2013
This review is from: The Devil Inside (DVD)
We all need to get over ourselves...this was one hell of a suspenseful film. I liked it. This movie was captivating from the beginning. Starting with the real news cast and 911 call supposedly made by Marie Rossi was a brilliant way of bringing in the plot and story line right off the bat.
(More research I did on this Maria Rossi showed it was all creative fiction, but based on a real UK murderer of the same name) The pseudo documentary style is hard to pull off if your a director and producer, and they did a great job of putting it together seamlessly as to not draw too much attention to the camera.
Story: became very fresh when Isabella has to confront her mother, the twists in the writing was very clever, such as the exorcist priest invoking the evil spirit upon himself and hurting a baby at a baptism, as the cops get involved.
Plot: Is rather original, a girl wants to find and meet her long lost demon possessed mother who supposedly killed people.
Acting: lead girl was great, very well played a part of a lonely girl in Rome. The Priests both were very good actors, and believable.
Role players: such as the camera man, did act a bit and had to do little to convince the viewer of much emotion. I'd say the real actor is the possessed mother, wow, very hard to pull off all that intense rage...
Direction: if anything the direction was seamless, and the exorcisms were very realistic and quite frightening; the smutty talk in another language made it sickening and the blood splattered and sprayed.
Production and effects, looked to be as professional as the paramount name suggests, this is not a B rated film, it had a low budget, but you as the viewer never once noticed it that way.
I believed in the exorcists and put this at the top of these types films here on Amazon...

4.0 out of 5 stars For Those who Like the Subject..., April 2, 2012
This review is from: The Devil Inside (DVD)
I went to the theater to see this film after only seeing a couple of previews so I only had minimal knowledge of the film content before seeing it. However, I do enjoy movies about exorcisms as well as possession so I figured I would give it a chance. After all, I didn't think it would be any worse than the "Last Exorcism" that was out last year. After watching it I can say that I honestly enjoyed the film, granted it was not the best movie ever made, but it was far from the worst crap I have seen. Maybe since I have interest in the subject matter of Psyche vs Possession debate that the slower parts of the film still held my interest. Definatetly not a film for serious Michael Bay film fans, not enough explosions to hold their attention. As for the ending of the film, I felt that it was a fitting way to wrap it up as any.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie for Those into exorcisms and demons. Truth and madness in the face of true evil., June 11, 2014
This review is from: The Devil Inside (DVD)
What's a poor girl to do when her mother is in a loony bin brought on by so called demons? Is there truth behind what's going on here or is it just mental madness? And will it latch on to the daughter? Only she can find the real truth. So along with a novice exorcist, they set out to discover the real truth. A truth that may be too scary to face but they may have gone too far to turn back.

1.0 out of 5 stars its all fake, February 10, 2014
Another fake documentary. They lead you to believe it's based on a true story but that's not the case. Not worth the time.

1.0 out of 5 stars not a fright, January 14, 2014
terrible,however got to see a little of Rome...acting terrible the story is terrible seen on tv movie of the week

5.0 out of 5 stars Very scary, indeed!, November 3, 2013
Clavon M. Herr "FWOP" (Buffalo, New York USA) - See all my reviews
This movie was great. Not many things scare me, this one took faith, namely yours to a whole new level. I would recommend seeing this movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very scary movie, October 24, 2013
Giancarlo (Miami, Florida, US) - See all my reviews
Loved it since the beginning I'm kind of a freak of those movies that make you think about life and something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Devil Inside (2012), August 17, 2013
This review is from: The Devil Inside (DVD)
If you like to be surprised without, chringing at your teeth, like you would in The Grudge movies, The Exorcist Or The Ring, this is the movie for you, it can be scary, but it woun't torture you with outright overly disgusting or blasphemis scenery as in other movies. I was really taken aback by t...read morehis film, but maybe the reason it affected me was because I thought there was a real life doucumentry going on. This is a heavily storied film, it doesnt need excessive curse words, nudity, excessive insulting or over dramatic action to make it work and the detaining of the excessive is done amazingly here. I dont know if the situation in this film ever took place, but if it didn't it is very good story telling. The special effects are undistinguishable from reality to the viewer, this is another reason i at first thought it was a real documentry. The only thing I didn't like was the unresolved ending, because one wants to see what will happen to the characters

The Devil Inside
The Devil Inside by William Brent Bell (DVD - 2012)
$19.99 $8.36