Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Tap Giveaway Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: Audible Audio Edition|Change
Price:$1.95

on April 21, 2011
I really enjoyed this book. It is the first eBook I have read. It starts off fast, interesting and keeps going. To be able to weave an alternative ending to such a compelling piece of history is a great skill. I am truly amazed as to how Berry is able to come up with great story lines and fill in the historical elements.

I have enjoyed all of Berry's work. I hope to be to write as well someday. I look forward to more.
VINE VOICEon April 28, 2011
Even though Cotton Malone is mentioned throughout this excellent short story, he does not make an appearance. It appears from the ending, however, that this story may be tied in somehow to Mr. Berry's next book, "The Jefferson Key" which is coming out next month.

This story is what one might catagorize as "counterfactual history", that is, taking an historic event and giving it a spin and a different take on what happened at that particular time. Here we see an alternative fate for Martin Bormann and Eva Braun, and also two other characters (won't mention them to spoil the story for future readers). There's not a lot of action here, mostly dialogue, but the plot advances fairly quickly and keeps you hanging on, although some of the "revelations" given should have been recognized by an astute reader.

This is the second short story by Mr. Berry I've read, and I hope he continues to write them, They are crisp, concise and very entertaining.
on April 19, 2011
Once again, Steve Berry has given us a great appetizer for an upcoming book. And, as I felt with "The Balkan Escape," the story ends to soon. I love the alternative version of what may have happened to Martin Bormann and Eva Braun. I think an entire book could be written on this story alone. Jonathan Wyatt is another great character in a string of great characters Berry has given us. After reading this story and the opening scene from "The Jefferson Key" included with this e-book, I wonder if the event that happens to Cotton in the preview is all a set-up by Wyatt. Can't wait for "The Jefferson Key."
on November 14, 2012
I started reading Steve Berry's books this last spring and have thoroughly enjoyed the ones
I have read! That is why I ordered "The Devil's Gold" for my Kindle. My husband and I read
the same books and as I am 2 Steve Berry's ahead of him (we read a lot of authors as you would
see by the books we order from Amazon)so I decided to read "The Devil's Gold". Now my husband
may have to read it on my Kindle or I may have to get him the paperback!!

It is very well written, believable, shows a great deal of research as do all Steve Berry's novels.
Since we are aware of how many Nazi's escaped to South America after WWII it is a conceivable story.
Very ingenious, keeps your attention as you follow the thread of investigation and discovery until the
surprise ending. I would not want to give the plot away to ruin it for anyone else to read but it is
what you would call,"a real page turner"!!!
on October 9, 2011
I read this in a single sitting and I must say, as a book that was recommended to me, I was very impressed.

The story takes you, following a former CIA agent in pursuit of the agent who betrayed him, into the world of what may have happened to specific persons in the aftermath of WWII... Using the rumours that were widely circulated for several years, it takes the lead character through a brief, but intriguing adventure where he comes to meet and speak with an aging man who has a hoard of stolen Nazi gold in his possession. (No spoilers!)

This was a very impressive piece of work for a 99c short story. It flowed well and managed to give an entire story, rather than throwing out a gaggle of facts that could have been anything. Fiction? It could be...

If it's on your wish list, you should look forward to this one!
on December 27, 2013
I love Steve Berry. My biggest complaint is that he doesn't write any faster! I love the Cotton Malone character and will read anything that Mr. Berry writes about him. It's a wonderful fast-paced read, with the best research (to make it very realistic) ever.
on May 29, 2011
Jonathan Wyatt(Sphinx) is on a mission of vengance. He is on the trail of Christopher Combs. Both of these men were at one time agents of Magellan Billet. Due to the testimony of Combs Wyatt's career in intelligence is through.
Charges were brought against him by Cotton Malone. Wyatt has trailed Combs to Chile. Combs has visited an older woman and a book store owner. Both of these people are killed after being visited by Wyatt. Wyatt is then snatched off the street and taken to meet with Gerard Schub. Here Wyatt learns that the older woman and the book store owner were killed by his brother Martin Bormann's son. Wyatt als0 learns that Eva Braun's suicide was faked and that Eva Braun actually escaped Berlin. She was pregnant with Hitler's son. This son is Gerard Schub. Schub has just killed Bormann's son actually his brother. Schub takes Wyatt to a castle like structure. Here Wyatt is shown the Nazi gold.
It is well ovwe a billion dollars.Wyatt has a final confr0ntation with Combs. He also has a score to settle with Cotton Malone. I certainly hope Berry doea a sequel to "Devil'sGold".
on January 10, 2013
A short story released to tie in with the full length novel The Jefferson Key. This story introduces the character Jonathan Wyatt as he tracks down his former boss who turned against him and helped end his career.

Set in Argentina the story revolves around the remnants of the Third Reich with some Nazi's who escaped justice. For a Steve Berry book the action is virtually non-existant and the dialogue is heavy. A quick read I only read it as it is part of the ongoing Cotton Malone series.
on May 28, 2012
Once again I bought a short story of Steve Berry and was less then thrilled. They are so short and seem to be written only to fill a contract.
The Devil's Gold was an okay read, but I am not a big fan of any short stories by any author.
I was waiting for Steve Berry's release of his new novel and thought I would continue to support his writing in the mean time...will not be buying any more of his short stories.
on April 29, 2012
This was an interresting short story but very far fetched. If you like Dan Brown and similar kind of books then this is for you. For me it was very unrealistic. It reads well and it was not long and for that I am not sorry for the time spent reading it but I wouldn't be reaching for more books by this author.