Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Storm Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

The Devil's Due (Morgan Kingsley, Book 3)
Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange
Price:$6.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 11, 2009
I have been reading this series from the beginning. It showed promise at first, but has been going down hill fast for me. Is being a b**ch supposed to be cute and sexy now? Morgan does not respect anyone at all, she does not trust anyone at all. She claims to love her boyfriend Brian, but she can't trust him. It is just impossible for her. She almost hates one of her allies, Adam, But she still seems to lust after him. She almost comes across as TSTL. She will acknowledge that what she is about to do is hurtful or stupid or none of her business, but then she goes ahead and does it. This does not make her come across as brave or fiesty, but as stupid and b**chy. I love paranormal romance, urban fantasy, and just about anything else I can get my hands on and I had high hopes for this series. I am always looking for something with a new twist. I stuck with this series for 3 books. I will not be buying any more. If you like hard headed, smart mouthed heriones with a very nasty attitude, you might like Morgan. I have come to really dislike her and find myself cheering when one of the bad guys punch her in the mouth. How sad is that!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 29, 2008
Jenna Black's series following the exploits of exorcist, Morgan Kingsley, reaches its third instalment and, after a slight dip in form with the previous book (The Devil You Know (Morgan Kingsley, Exorcist, Book 2)), the author is back on the money here: `The Devil's Due' is the best book of the three so far published. Opening with very little preamble, the story kicks in rapidly as our heroine, the feisty Morgan Kingsley, meets a woman who is worried that her son is unwillingly hosting a demon.

For those unfamiliar with this series, these books are set in the present day. There are occasional references to current popular culture helping to cement the idea that the world inhabited by the characters is not too different to real life. The fantasy element has the intriguing notion that demons, incorporeal outside the Demon Realm, can possess human hosts. However those who inhabit unwilling hosts, or who break the law, may be subject to exorcism. But this procedure often proves fatal to the human host. Those possessed willingly are able to be healed quickly when ill or stricken with physical injury. The downside for these people is loss of privacy, freedom and physical control over their bodies - demons are far stronger than humans.

Morgan is an exorcist with a dangerous secret: she is unwillingly hosting the King of the Demon Realm, Lugh. Unlike most human hosts, Morgan is blessed with the ability to keep her demon suppressed while she is conscious. All the while she is aware that her cargo is a potentially fatal one; there are demons who would seek to destroy Lugh. His presence must therefore remain a closely guarded secret.

After Morgan's somewhat claustrophobic self-absorption that, in my opinion, hindered the previous novel in this series, things open out very nicely in this third instalment. Lugh is now getting more of a look-in, becoming a more interesting character. However, Morgan's embarrassment at the homo-erotic innuendos spouted by the slimy Adam (Director of Special Forces, the police department charged with handling demon-related crime - he bends the rules but gets results) take her sassiness quotient down a little. The copious amounts of irrelevant sexual content that beset the previous novels is largely absent here. Unfortunately, there seems to be no escape from Morgan's tedious on-off relationship with her ex-boyfriend, Brian.

This is a fast-paced fantasy thriller. The prose style is snappy and colorful and makes for an exciting read. I'm usually in favor of reading a series in the correct sequence, but, if you really wanted to read this novel prior to the first two, you could do so without spoiling things too much for yourself; the author keeps new readers up to speed with previous happenings without detracting from the present story.
on February 2, 2009
I've very much enjoyed the first two books in Jenna Black's Morgan Kingsley series and this book continues in just as enjoyable a manner. Although the overall story of Morgan's life doesn't particularly move on (she is in the same overall position, with regard to Lugh, when we finish the book as when we start it), some of the side characters have lives that change significantly and, perhaps more enjoyably, we learn more about these other characters.

Jenna Black is an excellent writer in terms of keeping the reader's interest. She somehow makes the paranormal aspects of these stories feel very real and, well, 'normal' for the characters. In this book Morgan is continuing with her role of keeping her demon Lugh safe from his brother Dougal, trying to learn to live with him, working out her relationship with her boyfriend Brian (a rather dull and unappealing character) and dealing with the ambivalent feelings she has toward Adam Smith. However Morgan is also hired to look into the demon possession of a man who was known to be utterly against demons and the more she looks into events, the less adds up. Might the possession of Tommy have more significance than just a straight illegal demon possession?

There's mention in this story again of the BDSM club but far less graphic description than in the previous books which perhaps makes this a more comfortable read. Morgan's own brash nature is also perhaps toned down a little as she learns to consider others as well as herself. However she's still a very appealing character who seems to bumble her way through very complex situations, trying to do the best with the hand she's been dealt. Those who enjoyed the previous books will certainly like this one!

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book © Helen Hancox 2009
on January 9, 2009
The story was fine and it moved along well enough. It's just, nothing really exciting happened. There were a few story developments such as new special host bodies and Lugh has picked some people to be in his "inner circle". That was about it. One sex scene that was decent. Eh. It wasn't a bad book, it was just okay. I wasn't going to continue reading this series until I read the good reviews here. I should have stuck with my first instinct and waited to see if it showed up at the library.

I hate Morgan. I can honestly say I read this series because of everyone else in the book. I think I might even like the bad guys more than her. She fails to see the good in anyone. She is racist beyond reason when it comes to demons. She starts verbal fights constantly, just for something to do? Has she ever had a conversation with anyone that wasn't hostile at some point? Does she have any good qualities at all? She even treats her saint of a boyfriend just as bad as her enemies. What is that all about?

Adam is hot, dangerous, sassy and sexy! I love everything about him. I love Dom too. This was the best part of the book for me. Both of these characters seem to be growing over the series so why can't Morgan? I wish there was more of these two and less of Morgan, unless of course, it is the three of them together... and she shuts up.

Lugh. Where was the endless flirting? Not in this book. His character was kind of dull this time around. I think I even like Rafael more than Morgan.
on January 29, 2009
I've read the first two books, and continued with this one, but I'm not sure why. What started out with an excellent premise has not really kept my interest. Paranormal romance, urban fantasy are my two mainstays...so I've read alot. But the Morgan Kingsley series needs to really pick up the pace. Pros: Great strong heronie, good plot ideas, secondary characters are well fleshed out. Cons: Who is she supposed to be with? Adam, Brian, Lugh??? And that's my biggest complaint, stick with a guy, I don't care who, just pick one. She's with her boyfriend Brian, who is 'perfect', perfectly understands her, respects her volatile mood swings, but she lusts after two other 'men', Adam and Lugh (possibly a third, Dom). The book is labeled as fantasy, fine, but the book definitely leans in the romance direction with all the hot men running around. Just put the reader out of her misery, and have Morgan pick a man and not fantasize about others.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Who would have thought exorcism could be sexy? Well, not exorcism per say, but Morgan Kingsley, the best exorcist in the US can definitely hold her own when it comes to sex appeal. Jenna Black's series gives us a new take on the exorcist/demon deal and I absolutely love it.

In Morgan's world is all about who has the strongest aura and as long as you have one, you'll be fine against demonic fiends. That's the basic rule Morgan has been living with and one day after a routine exorcism goes array, Morgan finds out that things are not so simple.

There is a civil war crewing in hell and Lugh, the leader of the most "humanist" party has done the impossible and possessed Morgan. The thing is that her aura is so strong that he is not in charge, so he can only really communicate with her when she is asleep.

I just love this series, Jenna has taken a pretty cool and different direction with the Demon angle and it just simply works! A while back I did a Top 5 favorite book couples and Lugh and Morgan were on it. For two people that have never actually been close in person, it's amazing how much chemistry them both have and you can't help but wonder if they are ever going to have a chance to get together.

Besides that interesting relationship, on these 4 books we also follow Morgan and her human boyfriend and her struggle to keep him and avoid getting him too involved in demon politics. There are also a couple great secondary characters and my favorite are the M/M couple Adam and Dominic, they bring something extra to the series and you can't help but root for them =)

Morgan is not an easy woman to love, she is stubborn and down right bitchy a lot of the times, but she is also loyal, strong and capable of learning from her mistakes and for those reason I think she is a great leading lady.

If you are an Urban Fantasy junkie like me, you need to check out this series!

Originally Posted at Welcome to Larissa's Bookish Life {larissaslife DOT com}
on May 2, 2011
**Warning: As this is the third book in a series this review may contain spoilers for those who have not read the first two books.**

A lot of Urban Fantasy novels involve werewolves, vampires, demons and magic. I was intrigued when I picked up The Devil's Due to see an exorcist as the main character. It's something different in a genre I love, but even so I have mixed feelings about The Devil's Due.

The cover design doesn't do much for me. It's rather subdued and not visually exciting. I do, however, like the flash of a tattoo just visible above the line of the model's dress. It suggests that there may be another side to this woman in black. The title itself is what actually caught my eye and made me pick up this book. I like the reference to a common saying involving the demonic in the title of a book about an exorcist.

The Devil's Due is the third book in the Morgan Kingsley Exorcist series. I haven't read either of the previous books, so this review will reflect my experience as a new reader in this world. Although Jenna Black references events that have happened in earlier books I didn't feel lost and my understanding of the events in the book was not affected. This isn't easy for an author to accomplish, but Black has pulled it off. The Urban Fantasy world that Black has created for this series is well-developed and she drops the reader straight into it. She has obviously put a lot of thought and time into her world and as a result it is both rich and absorbing. The story and characters benefit from having this setting to support them.

In Jenna Black's world demons can legally possess willing human hosts and many live easily among the general population. But if any of them break the laws governing their behaviour they are exorcised from this realm. This is Morgan Kingsley's job and she's one of the best. There's just the little problem of the demon, Lugh, currently sharing her body. Because Lugh isn't just any demon - he's the exiled demon king and there are many enemies in both realms who would love to find and kill him.

Morgan isn't a nice person. She's controlling, acerbic, stubborn and just plain rude. I think that if that's all there was to her that I would have given up on the book, even with its interesting world. But Black gives the reader glimpses into Morgan's softer side - often through her interactions with Lugh, the demon sharing her body. A lot of Morgan's hardness comes from her experiences in life and her need to protect herself. Knowing this makes her easier to understand and made me more patient with her. I hope that Black lets more of Morgan's softer side show through as the series develops because otherwise she runs the risk of Morgan alienating some readers.

The investigation and main plot of The Devil's Due were interesting, but did falter at times when Morgan had to stop and deal with her issues. I would have liked these moments of self-reflection and character growth to have been woven into the story as opposed to seeming separate from it. Also Morgan's squeamishness about bondage and submission sex play got a bit tiring after a while. Black is never graphic or tawdry in her descriptions and it adds to the relationship between two of the secondary characters - so Morgan's continued references and prudish behaviour irritated me.

The Devil's Due was something different for me in the Urban Fantasy genre. I enjoyed the world that Black has created, but Morgan could irritate some readers. I think that the Morgan Kingsley Exorcist series is worth having a look at and I'm keen to see where the story leads.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This series has a unique storyline that is refreshing with the demon possession, and then you amp up the intensity by having a gay couple flaunting their BDSM lifestyle.

In this BOOK, in addition to the mayhem and sexiness, Morgan is forced to figure out why she is a loner and can't trust and what she needs to do to fix her problems with her relationships.

THIS IS A SOUL-SEARCHING BOOK THAT IS DEVELOPING THE CHARACTERS FOR THE FINAL BOOK OF THE SERIES.

....how I determine that I enjoyed a book...

YES: Am I glad that I PAID for the book?
YES: Was there good and realistic CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT?
YES: Was the PLOT logical and/or interesting?
NO: Would I buy the AUDIOBOOK or REREAD the story because I enjoyed it so much?

The sex scenes might make some uncomfortable but I felt that they were sexy, thought-provoking but not slutty! Each of the scenes had a purpose unlike so many "romance" books where having sex is the only plot. It is not the case with this series.

I READ BOOKS 1-4 IN THREE DAYS!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I will be anxiously awaiting the next installment of the Morgan Kingsley series to come out because Black has my attention and I so want to keep it on her. The one thing about The Devil's Due that I wasn't expecting was the appearance of a certain demon at the end. I didn't think I would ever get to meet this demon and now I will when Speak of the Devil comes out next year. The dynamics of all the characters have just changed and I'm not sure how this is going to affect Morgan yet. Whatever happens, this is one series you shouldn't be missing, so I highly suggest you start catching up.

For my full review, check out Literary Escapism.
on January 5, 2014
I like Jenna Blacks writing and sense of humor, and this series has and interesting universe where humans actually sign up to be possessed by demons - who are simply an energy life form. Or that is how it is supposed to work anyway... The series over all is good but seems to be dragging out a bit. The last 2 books in the series seem to be just running in place with no real development in the plot. This doesn't mean I am not anticipating the next book, but I really hope that the big event that has been building, and building to actually happens!