5.0 out of 5 stars Good as a starting point and adjunct to his Diabetes book
This is a book for food for Diabetics, especially type II. The recipes and methods follow Dr Bernstein's other book (The Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars - which I highly recommend from seeing it actually work on on my mother and my spouse).

Published on August 13, 2005 by W. COLLIER

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad format translation ruins recipes
This book is essentially two parts. The first part is about carbohydrates and diabetes, and I found it valuable. The second part is recipes, which I found largely useless, because of ingredients lists that contain measurements and amounts like "H cups" or "H teaspoon." I'm guessing that these "H"s and similar puzzlements are actual amounts in the book's printed version,...
Published on October 2, 2010 by John M. Lovell

5.0 out of 5 stars Good as a starting point and adjunct to his Diabetes book, August 13, 2005
This review is from: The Diabetes Diet: Dr. Bernstein's Low-Carbohydrate Solution (Hardcover)

First things first: There have been other reviewers who seem to not only to have missed the point that this is for *diabetics*, but also have an axe to grind with snarky comments about "low carb taliban". Thats an idiotic thing to say when uncontrolled carbs are the very things that are killing the type II diabetic with uncontrollable blood glucose levels. This is not some flavor of the month to be glib about - this is a lifestyle change to treat a life threatening disease.

There is no cure - you will have to change your life; Dr Bernstein is quite clear about that. And Diabetes is all about rules you must use to control your blood sugar. It all begins with your food. Control your food intake and you will enable control of your blood sugar. And thats is where the "strict" and "forever" come from. Regardless of how snarky some people wish to be about it, this is a choice between eating that cinnabon and dying of diabetic complications, or moving along and realizing that you are making a trade-off: the carbs for your health. Either you control your diabetes or you will die from it.

There have been comments made about the "outlawing" of Splenda (and Equal as well, had that the review bothered to read further), but this applies only to the *powdered form*. Dr Bernstein instead recommends Stevia if you wish to use a powder, or the *tablet* form if you wish to use Equal or Splenda. In fact, the tablet form of Equal is what Dr Bernstein writes that he himself uses.

All the facts: dieters should note that many of the artificial sweeteners in the dry form you find in those blue or yellow or pink packets actually contain sugars other than sucrose in order to provide bulk and avoid bitterness. Read the label in the grocery store and you will see that is the truth about a vast majority of the powdered forms, especially things like dextrose.

Beware of poeple who cavalierly and foolishly dismisses the presence of those substances, even though they are sugars! This causes me to seriously question whether that such people did much more than skim the book to reinforce thier biases. I urge people to go browse this book or the reviews for the other Bernstein book (or other sections of the book as published online at Dr Bernsteins web site).

Back to this book now that some common erros and misconceptions have been pointed out:

The recipes in here fit very well into almost any low-carb diet. But unlike the typical "Atkins" recipes (which some people use as an excuse to have a bacon-grease free-for-all), they also take into account protein and fat content to a much greater extent. There is a lot of difficulty in coming up with a menu that keeps your carbohydrates in line with Dr Bernstein's inescapable "Laws of Small Numbers", but this cookbook is a great starting place.

The recipes do not use many exotic items, and are reasonably easy for an experienced home-cook to prepare. There is a lot of "flavor" in these dishes, so, unlike some other low-carb diet plans I've had, there is no need to eat with your fork in one hand and the tabasco sauce in the other.

However, after a while, even these recipes will get "stale" if this cookbook is all you are using. There are not really as many recipes as most other low-carb cookbooks. But by examining how this book put together the proper amounts of protein and carbohydrate, proper portioning, and the proper types of carbohydrates, you can readily take other low-carb recipes and menus and adapt them to fit into the Bernstein Diabetes Solution. For example I was able to adapt many of the recipes in Carpender's "500 Low-Carb Recipes" and "15 minute Low Carb Recipes" books with little trouble at all.

Bottom line: For the casual dieter, there are probably easier ways of doing that, but for the diabetic, this is the gold mine. This book, along with the main "Solution" book will be invaluable for those working with their doctors to implement their own personalized "Diabetes Solution" to control and achieve normal blood sugars.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book can SAVE YOUR LIFE!!!!, April 5, 2005
Michigander (Grand Rapids, MI) - See all my reviews
This book will save your life!!! Yes it is possible to "normalize" your blood sugars! I follow this plan and it has worked! My gestational diabetes converted to the real thing in 2002. I was put on the conventional ADA diet (220 carb a day!) and quickly found I could not keep my blood sugars in range on this diet. In frustration I read everything I could to research this disease. I had worked as therapist in a rehab hospital long enough to see hundreds of diabetic patients suffer strokes, heart attacks, kidney disease, amputations etc. I had a healthy fear of this disease!!! In short, it kills. This book explains how Dr Bernstein suffered as a Type I diabetic for years until he -through trial and error- figured out what foods to eat to normalize blood sugar. I now eat low carb as Dr Bernstein recommends and have never felt better! The website for the book is [...] The forum on this site is exceptional for recipes and support for following this program. I have so much admiration and respect for Dr. Richard Bernstein. He's not out to make a buck...no low carb products/gimmicks. He became an MD to teach other diabetics how to 'normalize' their blood sugars and works only with diabetic patients. I recommend this book to every diabetic person I meet!!! To Dr.Bernstein I say thank you, thank you, thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Easy-To-Use, Well Written Guide to the Grail of Diabetes, December 26, 2004
If you've read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, which I and a lot of other readers believe is the "gold standard" (as someone put it) for diabetes treatment, but found it a little technical, The Diabetes Diet is the book for you. This is Dr. Bernstein's program distilled to its essense.

I had heard about it from his web site, and ordered a copy before it was published. Even though I read Diabetes Solution (both editions) I did not realize that Dr. Bernstein was the FIRST diabetic to monitor his own blood sugars (and his account of how he stumbled on his program is pretty funny--he thought exercise and not diet was the key).

I got the book about three days ago and have already read it cover to cover and tried some of the recipes. The chef is a genius. She runs a restaurant but has a son who is a type 1 diabetic, so she knows how to cook for a diabetic, but she also really knows how to cook--or create, or whatever--she's an artist.

We had people over for dinner and I made the veal with fennel and mushroom cream sauce and the green bean recipe and people raved over the food so much that I had to write down the recipes for three of my guests. I've had people ask for recipes, but never had THAT happen before (not a single one of them was a diabetic or low-carb dieter).

Despite what seem so far like fantastic recipes (I tried the turkey and stuffing recipes for Christmas and they were WONDERFUL), the book itself is easy. Dr. Bernstein lays out all the information very clearly without a lot of the science that is in Diabetes Solution. The science is good, but sometimes it's a little overwhelming and you just want to say, Okay, fine, but just tell me what to do. Dr. Bernstein does that in this book very clearly and does it really well.

As usual, he debnks a lot of myths and explains exactly why, for example, the glycemic index isn't worth much (there are many of them, they don't agree on what food should be what number, etc.).

For people who want to cut to the chase and start his program to get their blood sugars into normal ranges--without knowing all the ins and outs of why--this book is perfect. It'd be great for people who just want to eat a tasty, low carb diet. As a companion to Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, it's worth it for the recipes alone, but it's much more than that.

While the book is called The Diabetes Diet, it could also be used by anyone who wants to eat healthy and avoid diabetes. And with the endless rise of diabetes around the world, that's a lot of people. Dr. Bernstein treats lots of overweight people--people not technically diabetics--and helps them avoid the awful side effects of diabetes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent advice for diabetics of either type, September 16, 2005
I am a type 2 diabetic and have been following the Bernstein Diabetes Solution for two years. Prior to starting I was following the ADA diet to the letter and only got sicker until I ended up on insulin 4 times a day. An earlier reviewer should try injections if he thinks mere finger pricks are a nusiance. This diet has saved my eyesight, my limbs and my life. I believe that without it, I would have died an early death like my grandmother and my mother before me. I highly recommend this book and the other books that he has written as well. I don't find this diet restrictive at all. The alternative is to lose my limbs to sausage surgery, my vision, my kidneys, my life. Believe me, giving up carbohydrates such as grains, potatoes, peas, corn, sugar, etc., is a very small sacrifice to make to be in good health for the rest of my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars it works, September 15, 2006
my doctor put me on Actose in January of 2006 and by June, my blood sugar was still out of control and my weight was 306 lbs. I read about this while researching on the web and thought i would give it a try. From July 18 to Sept 15 I have lost 34 lbs. My blood sugar stays below 100 even after meals, and I have more energy than i have had in 20 years. Read this book and stick to it like your life depends on it, and it WILL work.

5.0 out of 5 stars This program will save your life and your limbs, September 17, 2005
I really must comment on the reviewer below who referred to Dr. Bernstein as the Low Carb Taliban. His program is for controlling a disease, and it is the ONLY effective program. That's why there's no induction and no cheating allowed. You can eat fruit, bread, cookies, whatever and then test your blood and see what effect they have on you and then you'll know why he is so strict. It's not about Dr. Bernstein controlling anyone.

If the reviewer (G-d forbid) were diagnosed with cancer and decided chemotherapy was what he needed to survive, would he take the approach that he wants to "ease" into it with small doses over a period of time, and be allowed to skip it when he's tired of feeling sick? Would he be mad at that Big Bad Oncologist who keeps trying to control him?

I repeat: this book is about a treatment for a disease... it is for bodies that do not make enough insulin or cannot use the insulin they make. Incidentally, the diet will also have benefits for other people, and those people can "cheat" all they want.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Diabetes Diet, August 14, 2005
Patricia A. Law (Colleyville, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This book goes along with Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. I love the book and the diet. My daughter's diabetes has never been under better control. This is a must for anyone with diabetes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read Book for ANY Diabetic, January 11, 2007
This book in addition to Dr. Bernstein's book on "The Diabetes Solution" are must reads for any diabetic, parent of diabetic, or concerned family member. The two books prompted me to launch the diabetes solution website.

Let me put it succinctly--THIS BOOK IS A SOLUTION TO DIABETES.

What does that mean? It means that after 28 years of following the ultra-high carb diet of the ADA (which now that I have my blinders off makes zero sense) I have NORMAL blood sugars. My A1C went from 8.0 while on the ADA (which they see as only slightly high) to 5.0 (almost normal). I still have a bit of fine tuniing to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Diabetes Diet - The only way to deal with this Disease, January 15, 2007
Dr. Bernstein educates us in the real reasons diabetics struggle to maintain low blood sugar levels - carbohydrates. His book(s) outline in simple language how to control what you eat and more importantly how to manage your sugars by limiting carbs. His insight into the disease as a Type 1 diabetic himself, has made it easier for me to set myself up for a healthier lifestyle by eliminating unnecessary carbs, understanding how the body of a diabetic handles carbs and then planning meals based on these principles.

I have lost weight easily, maintained low steady blood sugars, and finally understand how this disease that has devastated members of my family, can be managed by what I put in my mouth. Thank you Dr. Bernstein for your years of diligent research. You will make a difference in the world of diabetes. This should be required reading for all doctors of diabetics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insulin Resistant and Losing, July 9, 2006
I am insulin resistant, on the brink of diabetes. Finally, I am losing weight and seeing normal on my blood glucose tests for the first time in a year. Most of my readings are under 129, and I have had readings as low as 85. Moreover, this is without medication to change my blood glucose levels. I already have more energy, and I am looking forward to continually improving health. This is an answer to my prayers.

The Diabetes Diet: Dr. Bernstein's Low-Carbohydrate Solution
The Diabetes Diet: Dr. Bernstein's Low-Carbohydrate Solution by Richard K. Bernstein (Hardcover - January 3, 2005)
$26.00 $19.37