Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Outdoor Deals on bgg

on December 28, 2011
Syndicated fitness columnist Dr. Charles Platkin (The Diet Detective) has taken a novel approach to losing weight by actually encouraging readers to dine out at their favorite restaurants and prepare their daily meals using canned, frozen and ready to eat food items easily purchased at the local supermarket.
The trick is to follow the "Build A Meal" profiles presented in this book so you will know that one bag of Mott's Sliced Apples is 57 calories or that a McDonald's Filet of Fish is 380 calories or lunching on a can of Progresso Light Beef Pot Roast Soup will cost you 160 calories.
As a nutrition specialist, Platkin provides solid information about using your favorite prepared and even typical fast foods in your diet plan and how to plan your weekly shopping trips and menus. We like the four-color product pictures included in the Build a Meal suggestions because it prompts the reader to purchase items that they may not have previously considered on a weight loss program. A good Q & A chapter at the end of the book. We agree with Platkin that his program is pretty simple, but easy? Stick to it for the recommended 21 days and find out for yourself!
on January 1, 2012
I did a little research on the internet to see if there was some reasonable alternative to "a popular meal delivery system" that could utilize frozen dinners such as Lean Cuisine entrees. My search yielded a link to this book, and I ordered it right away from Amazon. I had read the bare-bones reducing menu on the Diet Detective's website, and knew it was doable.

There are pages and pages of "build a menu" suggestions, but you have to approach them with common sense. No one is going to eat four waffles or six sausage links; they are only listed to illustrate how much food can be eaten for 250 or 300 calories, or whatever fits your meal. I deduced that I could eat two waffles and a couple of pieces of sausage and have a nice breakfast in the 250-300 calorie range.

Most of the menu selections are readily available in my area, and there is also a section for restaurant meals. This seems like a nice, common-sense plan for busy people, or, for people like me who are tired of counting points and obsessing over how much food to eat. You do need to shop and plan your meals, but the charts/lists make it easy to pick foods to fit each meal and snack. I am only on day four but I am finding this to be very easy and convenient. It is a great time of year to do this, since most of the grocery stores are selling frozen dinners at a discount in honor of people's New Year's resolutions.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2012
The Diet Detective's All American Diet by Dr. Charles Platkin will tell you how to loose weight with the foods you already love to eat from your favorite supermarket and restaurant choices. The Diet Detective's All American Diet walks you through the basics of what you need to do to lose weight including how to determine how many calories you should eat each day. Once you have that information, you are referred to a sample breakdown for that day that shows how many calories you should eat for each meal and each snack. Then you can flip to the back of the book where you will find a breakdown of different prepared foods and restaurant foods to choose from to create your menu for the day.

As an example, I get 1200 calories per day. Across the board, it recommends 30 minutes of exercise (walking in their recommendation) per day on top of what you are doing right now. I turn to the 1200 calorie per day sample menu plan and it tells me for breakfast I get 275 calories for breakfast. Then I turn to the breakfast entree page and it shows me what I can pick and choose for breakfast to get those 275 days. If I'm on the run, I can choose the Dunkin' Donuts Sausage, Egg White and Cheese Wake-Up Wrap and a Dunkin' Donuts medium iced coffee for a total of 260 calories. If I'm home, I can choose a Thomas' Blueberry Bagel for 270 calories or Cascadian Farm Honey Nut O's with Skim Milk for 253 calories. If I'd rather choose several smaller things, I can choose a Chobani nonfat Greek Yogurt in vanilla for 120 calories and a Weight Watcher's Blueberry Muffin for 100 calories. This same process is repeated for each meal and snack throughout the day.

There are different calorie levels so people who are allowed more calories can choose from higher calorie meals. For example, breakfast ranges from 275 calories if you're allowed 1200 calories per day to 475 calories if you're allowed 2500 calories per day. You can pick and choose from the different lists until you've used your allowed number of calories per meal. I prefer fruit and yogurt for breakfast or cereal while my husband would rather have eggs or a hot entree. This lets us both pick what we prefer to eat. The back of the book lists a variety of suggestions for different chain restaurants and fast food places as well. You will also find a section on how to maintain your weight once you've lost it. There are also notations for low carb, sodium controlled, and vegetarian choices.

I love the flexibility of this book. While I cannot afford to eat prepared foods and restaurant foods every meal, I like knowing that on the days I'm pressed for time, there are certain choices I can purchase that fit within my calorie guidelines. Its's also really handy to be able to flip to a fast food restaurant's menu selection and see what the best choices are for me if we do want to eat out. If you're interested in loosing weight or maintaining your weight and often find yourself pressed for time and choosing quick rather than healthy, I definitely recommend you check this book out. Based on a review copy.
on September 21, 2012
This has to be the easiest diet I've ever tried! I was trying to lose 50 pounds, and I've tried tons of different approaches and FAILED miserable every time! A little over a year ago I gave birth to a 10 pound 14.4 ounce baby boy, and I was 37 years old so my metabolism was needless to say more receptive to weight gain than weight loss LOL! I had all but given up on losing the weight and thought I was just going to have to learn to love the "new me". I saw this diet and decided to give dieting one more try. Well, it's been 2 months and I've lost 20 pounds! I eat most things I was already eating, I have just learned (from this diet book) how to enjoy smaller portions, and compromising. Example: If I want a Son of the Baconater and a small frosty from Wendy's, I don't get the fries, I get a side salad with light ranch dressing. I even eat Super Potato Ole's from Taco John's for dinner! I have one splurge day per week, but even those days I don't go over board anymore. I have found that my stomach has shrunk and even when I'm stuffed, I have not eaten as much as I did when I was heavier! The best part is I didn't have to pay a monthly plan fee to a weight loss program, or buy special food. I ate the same things I've eaten for years. Even once you've met your goal weight, the diet book teaches how to keep the weight off using your new mind set of compromise and smaller portions! I also do very little exercise, but on the days when I do take a walk or do something more energetic, I lose even more weight! So, it's a bonus to exercise!
on August 7, 2013
This book is great for a visual learner like me. There is a formula to calculate your daily calorie requirements, and then a recommendation for which calorie-level food plan you should follow to lose weight, maintain your weight, or even to gain weight if that is what you need. What I liked best is that each plan is broken down into meals with specific calorie values per meal/snack. Then there is a pictorial guide to choices within each group to help make it very easy to follow. i would recommend this book to anyone who is too busy to really plan meals; or is overwhelmed by all the "diet" advice out there. This is a clear-cut program with easy to follow information that would be beneficial to anyone beginning a weight loss or wellness program.
on April 1, 2013
I found it interesting, but it really is mostly common sense with color pictures to go along with it. Save your money and use Weight Watchers and other frozen meals and a few snacks (which is basically what the book suggests)
on March 12, 2014
This was not the Yacon syrup I thought it was, I did not loose any weight.I will not buy any more.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse