5.0 out of 5 stars A Diet Book for Non Dieters
I don't buy diet books, I don't believe in depriving myself or regimenting my diet and I was able to be a size 00 up until my 28th-29th birthday, give or take.
Alas, I moved countries and picked a few bad eating habits along the way, 10 years later I'm flirting my way to a size 12 and I started wondering if the weight gain was ever going to stop.
I knew there...
Published on May 23, 2008 by Mariana V. Miller

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, doesn't work for me
The No S diet sounded like a brilliant idea when I first heard about it. It was well written, down to earth and upbeat. The idea was deceptively simple, maybe too simple, but I thought I'd give it a go.

I tried No S for 2 months, which I think is a reasonable timeframe to leave a comment on it. My starting height/weight was 5'9/200lb. It was not too terribly...
Published on November 22, 2011 by Sarah T

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 412 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Maintenance Built Right In, March 21, 2008
Peetie (Mission Viejo, CA United States) - See all my reviews
When I first began this dieting approach, I only wanted to maintain after years of yo yo'ing up and down. I just wanted a sane and healthy way to eat that I could stick with.

Lo and behold, I lost another 10 lbs. and have maintained it for well over a year.

I don't feel deprived and I am no longer obsessed with food. The book is easy to read, and fun and smart....just like the diet's creator, Reinhard.

I guess you can tell I'm a big fan of his. You will be too. Try it...you'll LOVE it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, It works, August 24, 2009
I have dieted off and on my entire adult life (well, counting "since junior high" as adult ...) and it does nothing but make me miserable and obsessive and, once off the diet, induces disordered eating and weight gain. I mean, I'm a great dieter -- I can always lose weight on them. I just can't keep it off for any length of time.

And I'm also really not down, philosophically or tastewise, with replacing real food with highly processed "diet" substitutes. Been there, done that.

No S is, seriously, the first diet that makes sense to me, that walks a graceful line between too restrictive and too unstructured, and that is focused on, basically, making your eating more civilized. Three plates of food -- any real food you prefer -- a day, with no seconds, no between-meal snacks, and no sweets, except on "Days that begin with an S." And lo and behold, when I do this I do not have to worry about what to eat, how to eat it, how many calories it has, or anything else -- I just eat a nice meal, wait until time for the next meal, and eat that one. On the weekends (Saturday and Sunday start with an S -- get it?), I enjoy a nice dessert and/or a cocktail snack or what have you. It's just very ... civilized. And on top of it, I actually lose weight -- I have been No S-ing for seven months and lost 20 pounds. This is truly something I can do for the rest of my life.

His approach to exercise is equally sensible -- basically, walk a lot, take the stairs, build exercise into your day as a habit. I can't quite bring myself to buy a sledgehammer for his "shovelglove" strength-building routine, though. I'm sure it works, but I don't think I can face the dorkiness of me pretending to rake leaves and chop wood with a sledgehammer.

For a philosophy as no-nonsense as this, Reinhard has some surprisingly insightful things to say about the power of habit, the meaning of moderation, and how our national diet has changed. I could do with less lecturing about gluttony as a moral failing, but that's a minor part of the package.

I've read French Women Don't Get Fat and the underlying principles are extremely similar -- eat real food that tastes good and is good for you, keep your servings reasonable, eat off a plate (not behind the wheel of your car or from a "crinkly bag" of chips), walk a hell of a lot, and enjoy your meals. But for those who find Mireille Giuliano and her perfect perfect lifestyle a bit too-too, No S is a no-nonsense and easily understood way to the same principles. I can't imagine a guy picking up French Women -- No S is perfect for the slightly geeky dude who finds systems and why they work appealing, and who wouldn't be caught dead at Weight Watchers. She's a bit stronger on emphasizing food QUALITY (Reinhard basically just says put whatever you want on your three plates a day as long as you leave off the sweets and don't get stupid about it) and he's much stronger on what "enough" looks like and avoiding over-restriction (she recommends fast days, which I think is just stupid) -- so hey, it doesn't hurt to read them both.

5.0 out of 5 stars LIfe changing, September 4, 2010
This review is from: The No S Diet: The Strikingly Simple Weight-Loss Strategy That Has Dieters Raving--and Dropping Pounds (Paperback)
This book is a revelation. How many of us have spent time, money, and endless energy trying lose weight using diets that don't provide long-term results? They are effective when you follow their strict rules and often ridiculous expectations, but once you stop, you gain it all back and more. They are often just money making adventures for those proposing their exaggerated results. This program is liberating! Common sense. Don't eat snacks, seconds, or sweets between meals, except for those special times like weekends, birthdays, holidays, and special events. This is a practical, easy to follow way of living in relationship to food. I started this program 3 weeks ago and have already lost 7 lbs. I don't feel deprived, hungry, and rarely tempted to snack, eat sweets, or take seconds outside the structure of the program because I know I will be able to have that special treat on the weekend. And, when life is often too busy to exercise, I don't feel guilty because I know that I am not overeating. I feel like I've been set free from a prison of not knowing what I can and cannot eat and when. I, for one, am very pleased with this book and want to thank the author for making it possible for people to learn and change.

5.0 out of 5 stars Having cake. Eating it, too. Still losing weight., January 3, 2011
I started the No S Diet in late July of 2010. It's January 3rd, 2011 and I've dropped nearly 20 lbs. Now that isn't the flashy miracle number that they show on The Biggest Loser or commercials for dangerous diet pills. But it's healthy, it's affordable, and it's steady. This diet makes me feel like I'M the one in control of my weight loss for once.

Sure, I slipped. Some days I planned my meal times far too far apart and ended up having to eat something in between my lunch break and dinner. But instead of feeling like a fat failure I was able to learn from my mistakes, readjust, and continue onwards toward my health goals.

The only part of the book that made me mad was just how SIMPLE it was! Why didn't I think of this before?? Why did I let myself get caught up in all the commercial diet plan hype? This diet makes so much more sense. No snacks means better balanced, more filling meals (and less $$$ spent!). No sweets means less soda and more water, which helped me drop pounds and improved my complexion! And no second helpings -- that one should've been a no-brainer. I fill my plate, I take my time eating, and I actually feel full by the time the meal is over.

Another bonus: you don't have to feel awkward eating around your friends and family. No explaining teeny, tiny portions of food. No popping diet pills before you eat. My friends didn't even realize that anything was particularly different about my eating habits. And because you're allowed to enjoy those "S"pecial days in your life, I was able to freely have a piece of cake (okay, fine. Two pieces of cake.) at my best friend's wedding in October. That's right -- I ate sugary, spendid cake IN PUBLIC and didn't feel like crawling under the table and hiding for the rest of the reception.

Overall, I highly suggest this book to anyone who feels like they're sinking in the sea of unrealistic diet books and expensive meal plans. You CAN lose weight and you can feel proud of your accomplishments. You don't even have to buy the book to get the benefits...but it helps to re-read the words of encouragement on those not-so-great days.

Good luck! Happy New Year!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Simple Solution, May 5, 2008
Reinhard Engels addressed his own weight problem with an amazingly simple diet. No Snacks, No Sweets, No Seconds (Except on days beginning with S).

There, you can do the diet without buying the book.

But buy the book. While the rules are simple and they work (I've been losing about a pound a week following these simple rules), you'd be missing out if you didn't read the book to get a clear understanding of *why* they work.

Many of the problems with obesity in the US are problems of simple excess. No, we're not stupid or lazy, but our eating patterns are such that this excess is quite disguised. Engels analyzes the problem well with a wonderfully wry wit that makes for an entertaining read on top of the solid information.

The book also addresses the power of habit, lifestyle and how this effects the dismal prospects of keeping one's weight off after one has lost it.

Sometimes, what you need is a simple solution.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is how I've been eating for the last 2 years, July 18, 2008
I'm glad I found the No S Diet just after I realized that the whole idea of "restricting" and "counting" didn't work for long term weight loss & manteinance. I 'discovered' the nosdiet website and after I read it, finally said to myself: "this is the way to eat to not worry anymore about dieting". Since then, I can now focus on other more important and fun things in life.

I ordered this book just as a support for the nosdiet website, because I already knew all the info. As other reviewers have said, you don't really need the book to lose the weight, just follow the no snacks, no sweets, no seconds advice and you're done.

However, the book serves as a big FAQ that will save you many weeks (or months) of reading into the diet message boards. So for the price, if you're new to this system, this is gold.

Anyways, at first you will feel free, you will throw away all the other diet books you've bought (even the ones that "promise" they will be your 'new lifestyle for life'), and you will be very enthusiastic about this new way of seeing your relationship with food. However, after the first weeks, If you're the typical diet-addict, you may get disappointed. Why? you may ask. Simple: the weight loss is not 'fast' as the more commercial diets you're used to hear about. The weight loss is slow, but seady, and sustainable for life. You must have patience and start paying attention to your new habits (because as the author says, this is a mental fix, not a dietary one). You have to keep going at it looking it like a long-term goal, not a "lose 20 pounds for next summer" approach.

Personally, the best thing about No S Diet is that it is doable. I've never been able to "follow" a diet for a few months without dropping it (it is not a matter of willpower, really), but since I found NoS (not really a diet per se), I've been eating this way for 2 years. I was getting fat when I started doing it (after a Christmas binge-festival), then I lost around 20 pounds in the last 12 months after I started exercising, and I'm now at a healthy weight. I KNOW I can to this forever, and even without thinking about "doing" it. It's automatic. By the way, I also suggest the "shovelglove" invention by the same author, if you don't know what kind of exercise to do, in addition to walking.

So, if you are the kind of person who didn't have a wise grandma that taught you "wait until dinner to eat" or "ice creams are for sundays", this is what you need. This is TRULY the last & only "how to eat" book, for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars IT FEELS GREAT TO BE FREE, April 15, 2008
tgp157 (Alabama, USA) - See all my reviews
The No S Diet is so simple you think "Why didn't I think of that?". I feel such freedom from food now. This is my 13th day of No S-ing & I love it. This is it!! For the first time ever--I plan to pack up all my weight loss books & put them in storage. I may even give them to the library. ( A lot of $$$ there, ya know) I don't need them anymore. I have never been willing to do this even when I was starting a new plan I hoped would work. I always hung on to them--just in case... But now I know I have found the final plan. It may not be fast (I don't know yet) but it will be lasting & liveable. I refuse to do another diet that I can't live with only to gain it all back plus some.
After reading this book, I can honestly say I am no longer in bondage to food or dieting. IT FEELS GREAT TO BE FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A diet to end all diets, July 25, 2009
...and I mean that literally. I've been on the No S Diet for five weeks; I've lost five pounds, which isn't dramatic weight loss (if you want dramatic, try any of the dozen other diets I've tried, lost large amounts of weight on, and then gained even more back), but it's sustainable weight loss.

The No S Diet isn't really a diet in the sense we tend to understand them. It's a framework for developing a lifelong habit of healthy, moderate eating. It's definitely possible to stick to the letter of the law and eat stupidly, but this book is intended for people who want to get off the yo-yo dieting merry-go-round.

Eating this way has completely killed my cravings for sweets and fatty food; the fact that I can have those things in moderation has taken away that dieting mentality that a particular food is bad, off limits, or something I can never eat again. I ran across a quote on Web M.D. in which they said if you can't see yourself on a particular diet six months or a year from now, you shouldn't start it in the first place. The No S Diet cuts through all that with a simple set of very clear rules. I just came off a week of vacation with family and staying in a tourist town, and had absolutely no problems in any of those settings. In fact, I lost a pound on vacation!

The book itself is an easy read, and full of great information. You can find the same information at the No S website (and as Reinhard Engels says, you can also discover everything you need to know about the diet from the cover of the book), but the book is definitely worth having. It's nice to have it as a reference, and Reinhard includes some information in the book you won't see at the website.

I plan to eat this way for the rest of my life, and because the No S Diet is simple and effective, I know I can.

5.0 out of 5 stars It just makes sense!, March 24, 2011
This book is common sense. I didn't need to read the whole book, although I did, because the cover alone resonated with how we ate when I was a child. We were not poor but my mother was a child of the depression so we had three "square" meals a day, rarely snacks and those were mostly fruit or carrot sticks and other sweets were a special treat. Most of our meals were made for the 2 adults and 2 children with maybe a small portion for leftovers. It took a few days to accumulate enough leftovers to use as a meal at our house. We never "grazed" our way through the day either.
Thanks to the author for the reminder of a better way of eating for me. Wish I had thought to write it myself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Eureka! A Logical weight loss plan!, March 11, 2008
Leave it to a software engineer to create a simple, logical and specific way to lose weight. No more crazy detoxs, counting carbs or weighing food. Just 3 rules and one exception.

I had a library of the latest diet books. Over 100 titles. Since becoming a member of the No S website,I have sold all my books.I made a nice chunk of change and am losing weight!

So do you want to lose weight once and for all? Buy the book and stop in at the No S website. We're a friendly group who are there for support and pats on the back.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 412 | Next ›