Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon September 27, 2005
I made the mistake of actually reading the book, rather than skim it or use if for reference. Mr Sweeney is an accomplished gunsmith with years of experience with the 1911 and the Glock. Although he provides a lot of good information on the Glock, it becomes obvious that he truly admires the 1911. Having another, commonly used firearm to use as a reference for comparison is a good thing. But there are many times that the 1911 comes up without benefit to the topic.

The Glock information he provides is great, albeit limited in scope; I learned a lot about magazines, other Glock models, and a holster I'd never heard of; I'm glad I have the book on my shelf for reference. Probably the most practical thing I learned is that all Glock mags of the same caliber will fit and function in other Glocks of the same caliber; consequently it makes good sense to carry a 15 round clip (from a Glock 22) to put in your concealed Glock 27 after the first 10 rounds are gone. Makes more sense than investing in a bunch of mag extensions that yield fewer total rounds.

But the book has some major drawbacks, too. At one point we are led to believe that he will cover trigger pull adjustment in another section, but this is never addressed. The writing is OK, but the editor should find a new line of work. There are contradictions, circular writing, and other mistakes that a good editor would have picked out; it was difficult to read at times. Probably the worst two issues are that it desperately needs to be updated (lots of talk about the old 1994 gun restrictions, copyright 1993) and there is no index. Tough to be a reference book without one.

I haven't read any competing books on the subject, but I can compare it with quality books written on singular subjects. That's how I formulated my rating.
22 comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2005
My review on this one is going to be a bit more critical than most. This is probably one of the worst books on Glock pistols that I have read to date. The author is constantly comparing Glocks to 1911's, and other types of pistols. The book is also loaded with plenty of non-Glock images. Mr. Sweeney, I bought this book because I like the Glock, not because I wanted to see plenty of photos of 1911's... ad nauseam. Perhaps Mr. Sweeney should stick to books writing books like his "Gun Digest Book of the 1911", as he has done Glock more than a bit of injustice.

You know, I recently purchased Massad Ayoob's excellent book "The Gun Digest Book of Sig-Sauer". Mr. Sweeney, please take note... Massad's book on the Sig is FILLED with useful information and photos related to his book's title... SIG-SAUER PISTOLS!

Sorry, but I must recommend a pass on Sweeney's "sort of Glock" book!

Hans
11 comment| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 8, 2003
This book has a TON of information about the Glock pistols. My only complaint is the author's continuous reference to 1911 pistols. He is an admitted fan who dwells way too much on the 1911 and is continuously comparing it to the Glock. This book would have been better written by someone with a more neutral view. Granted, the author is not continually bashing Glocks (he actually speaks highly of them), but I didn't buy it to read about 1911's.
If you're new to Glocks, as I am, I would still recommend this book to you. As I said, TONS of useful info ...you just need to wade through the 1911 talk to get to it.
on May 2, 2010
I bought this 2nd edition of the Gun Digest Book of the Glock, published in 2008 thinking it would be a new and different edition. Unfortunately the 2008 2nd edition is exactly the same book as the 2003 1st edition except for the cover. The 2nd edition contains the same text, the same black and white photos, the same identical chapters as the earlier 1st edition. There is nothing new in this book.
It's a fine book with lots of useful information, but re-packaging an older edition without any updates in it is a bit deceiving. If you have the original edition, forget this one. It's the same book.
on December 27, 2003
Excellent! As a beginner, I knew little about guns in general and glocks in particular except that you cannot find a more reliable semiautomatic pistol. Well this book is definitely THE book to update your information on the GLOCK. It gives the history of the weapon and design changes. It is very good read and very informative. Additionally, it also includes information on customization.
I can confidently say that this book has increased my knowledge of the glock and increased my appreciation of it.
Definitely good value for money.
on December 29, 2008
I just bought my first Glock 21 and thought this would be a good book for a glockowner. When I started reading this book, it becomes clear that he is not passionate about the very subject of his own book. He is a gun mag writer and he writes like one too. Anemic. Like he is too worried about what others might think of him if he drinks the glock koolaid. This book is not written by a real glock fan. I own many handguns....I am not a total Glocker.....but man I want somebody that is a total passionate glocker to write a book about them. I want a paasionate glocks-rock kind of author...and he is just not it.

He compares Glocks to his personal love of 1911's. I could careless about 1911's..they are not even in the same class of handguns. This a book about glocks. If you are going to compare guns why the heck not compare glocks to the many other polymer gun out there??? Why Because Glocks are the father of polymer guns. 1911 are in a class of themselves....to me its apples and oranges.
on September 24, 2012
This is a well written book about the Glock pistol. It is well illistrated and contains detailed information that every Glock owner should know. The author is very knowledgable in the subject matter and presents the material in a common sence manner. I would highly recommend this book to anyone.
on July 23, 2008
Previous reviews appear to be concerned with the first edition of this book. Despite this, the criticisms presented by those reviews are valid for the second edition. A significant portion of the book concerns the 1911 Government Model in its various incarnations. While I can appreciate the comparisons between the Glock and the 1911--I also have a fondness for the 1911--there really is too much time spent in this area. Another point to make is how much of the book is devoted to various competitions. Many books concerning firearms tend to lean heavily toward promoting shooting competitions. Nothing wrong with this if that is your interest, however, if competition sports is not your particular interest (it's not mine), another significant portion of this book will be wasted on you.

Glocks are simple, straightforward firearms that don't allow for much in the way of modification or gunsmithing improvements. If you write a book about them, I suppose you have to digress into other areas of general firearms interests. Otherwise, the book would be rather short. There's not much you can say after saying that Glocks work great right out of the box, seldom stop working no matter how they are abused, generally are easy to shoot well with minimum training and they have been a phenomenon in their acceptance by shooters worldwide. Oh, yeah...you could say they are kind of ugly. That's about the only real criticism you can come up with for the Glock.

I like the book although I admit that I did skip over some sections and I only skimmed through others.
on August 18, 2013
While the book did have some useful nuggets regarding Glock's, this guy uses every chance he gets to praise and compare to 1911's. This book has a lot of fluff, opinions, dry humor, and something else... oh, I think he mentions something about Glock's when he's not talking about 1911's. In essence, it's a choppy mashup. Don't get me wrong I learned a few things. But the new or at least unobvious information could fit in a chapter, the rest was an expanded brochure / magazine artcles. 85-90% of the info is either known to Glock owners who like their guns or easily accessible over the web.
on February 13, 2013
I was so looking forward to what I expected to be a book that was chock full of information on the Glock. To be honest, there's maybe one chapter's worth of decent information relating to Glocks and, like the rest of the book, it is written so dryly and technical-manual like, it's very difficult to pull out the good, pertinent parts. It's just a poorly written book, adn the author spends about half of the book talking about the 1911. If I would have wanted to know anything about 1911's, I would have bought a 1911 book. I would recommend that you avoid this book, it's definitely not worth the money and I wouldn't keep it on my Kindle even if it was free.