Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Why do I subscribe to The Digital Journal Of Photography on the Kindle with a paid subscription when I could read it on the 'Net for free?

Easy answer: I don't take my computer to bed, but do use my Kindle to read certain blogs late at night or first thing in the morning. This is one of the blogs that I've been subscribing to on the Kindle for awhile, as authors and publishers Kevin & Joanne Carter have a straightforward way of delivering info about what's new in digital cameras and accessories in a very straightforward fashion without a bunch of hype or highly subjective opinions.

As an example, the current Kindle edition announced the arrival of the new Sigma DP2, a unique high-end 46MP DP2 compact digital camera, replete with specs and the complete press release from Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd. And as usual, the article was dominated with a detailed photo of this new camera. This was followed by an article about Canon's unexpected announcement of a new version2 firmware for the EOS 7D, noting that it was bringing a host of new features and benefits to that popular DSLR, including when it would be available.

There was a memorable article with photos in May 2012 announcing the new limited edition Leica M9-P Edition Hermes, a digital camera covered in a "distinctive 'Veau Swift' calfskin leather in ochre color" with a UK suggested retail price of £18,000. I looked it up and in the US that was over $28,000 at the time. For that kind of money one could buy a few Nikon D800 DSLRs and a batch of Nikkor lenses as well, but this is the kind of unique info one finds in this blog.

The Kindle formatting is excellent, with clear and frequent images (a personal gripe that I have when they're not offered in some Kindle blogs), and the links that they offer are relevant.

As a Nikon owner, I also subscribe to Nikon Rumors, which provides me with additional balance and Kindle convenience. And please don't shoot the messenger here, but be aware that neither of these blogs can't be read on the Kindle Fire, as they're only available on the following Kindle devices:

- Kindle
- Kindle Touch
- Kindle Keyboard
- Kindle DX
- Kindle (2nd Generation)
- Kindle (1st Generation)

It's noted in the description of these subscription blogs: "The publisher may have opted out of making it available on certain devices, or the reading experience may not yet be optimized for this publication on those devices." I also have a Kindle Fire, and on that I subscribe to Shutterbug, which is a subscription monthly, and I have reviewed that one as well, if you're interested.

It's suggested that any legacy Kindle owners who are interested in The Digital Journal Of Photography take advantage of the two-week free trial subscription and see if it fits your needs. It has worked well for me, and I'm still a subscriber.

7/1/2012