The Digital Photography Book, Part 5: Photo Recipes
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$19.52 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Scott Kelby with his latest installment ‘Photo Recipes’ in long lasting ‘The Digital Photography Book’ series again manages to deliver excellent piece which will be useful for inexperienced photographers, but also for those who have a lot of pictures in their portfolio.

For long time I’m a big fan of Scott Kelby works, many of which I have reviewed on Amazon such as ‘Photoshop for Lightroom Users’ and ‘The Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book for Digital Photographers’ which are both part of ‘Voices That Matter’ series.

Still, in my opinion his best work is thick and even more helpful masterpiece ‘The Digital Photography Book’ which is not only one of the top-selling and most known photography books of all time, but also a book that with its wealth of information and accessibility is unsurpassed.

In this fifth installment Kelby in nine chapters on almost 250 pages in detail discusses what have been so far the most popular parts of his four ‘Digital Photography’ books – photo recipes – devoting whole book to them.

As already mentioned book is divided in following chapters:
- Shooting natural light portraits - recipes for making people look their best
- Using just one light - recipes for great results while still keeping things really simple
- Using two or more lights – two and three light recipes that are still pretty easy
- Hot-shoe flash like a pro – quick lighting recipes for using flash
- Shooting weddings - recipes for making bride look awesome (because nobody cares about the groom)
- Shooting travel – recipes that make them want to visit that place right now
- Shooting landscapes and nature – recipes for making the great outdoors look great
- Shooting other stuff
- Using post – step by step recipes to get the look using Lightroom and Photoshop

As already from this summary can be seen, the author retains his famous humor, but in same time excellently covered all topics that are interesting for hobby photographer and those who want to specialize in particular type of photography.

Book is full of great tips and examples so even if you do not buy it I recommend to at least browse through it in the bookstore because in 5 minutes certainly you’ll be able to learn some handy trick or two to make your pictures look more professional.

So in conclusion I can say that with ‘Photo Recipes’ book Kelby managed to prove what makes a good photographer is not only good equipment but also the usage of numerous small tricks and recipes that will make your image look of higher quality, and your style distinctive. Higher recommendation I cannot write, so if you jhave camera and love photography you'll love this great book.
on August 2, 2014
Scott's Digital Photography series is THE best selling photography book for a reason. When I started getting attracted to Photography, It was the first set of book I bought apart from "Getting to know my camera". His style of writing and clear and concise instruction makes it easy to follow and implement. Since, I have read all his books, not only this series, but his "Light it, shoot it, retouch it" book. So much so, I went out and bought the Scott Kelby Elinchrom light set from B&H and that's what I have in my studio (http://www.tacksharpstudios.com/. I learn so much from these books. You could attend hundreds of seminars and watch many hours of instruction to get what you can get in this "cliff notes" of a book. This part in the series is special. He devotes two pages to each shot and tells you step by step how he accomplished that shot including some tricks that are not really photography. For e.g., to get a shot without distractions, he tells you to wait an hour or so to get the same picture without as many cars or people in the foreground. They sound so simple and easy to implement that makes you wonder "Now, why didn't I think of it and write a book about it?".. Just kidding. Anyway, I pre-ordered and got this book the first day and I couldn't put it down. It was like a can of Pringles chips that you can't stop eating until you've consumed all of them. Each page in this book is a chip or a nugget. I have flash cards made out of all of Scott's first four books to use as a ready-reckoner (business idea Mr. Kelby Wink!! Wink!!) and can't wait to do that with this book as well. If books aren't enough, I would recommend http://www.kelbyone.com/ for online instruction that's just out of the world. I have recommended that to a number of my friends as well. Hope you all enjoy this book as much as I did.

P.S: i don't write too many reviews here on Amazon. If I took the time to write one, that should tell you that it is worth it.
on August 10, 2014
This book is so inspiring. Scott Kelby has the ability to make the complicated simple. In this book he used a formula that I love! Every two pages he starts with a behind the scenes shot, then he gives a brief description of where they are, sometimes why, and any light modifiers or other gear needed.
Next paragraph he gives you his actual camera settings, even if they weren't ideal, and he explains why he selected them, including his lens.
Next page he shows you the final image, which is absolutely beautiful, especially now that you've seen the behind the scenes shot.
Third paragraph (of the 2 page spread) he tells you his thought process on the whole image and capture, like why he would put a second diffuser in front of a softbox.
Fourth paragraph he touches on any special retouching.
I'm going to take the hot-shoe chapter, and work through every example like a workbook. See if I can recreate the essence of what he's teaching but with my locations.
He has a chapter on:
* Natural light portraits
* One light setups
* Two or more lights
* Hot-shoe flash
* Weddings (ugh, not my thing but still worth reading and studying)
* Travel
* Landscapes & nature
* Other stuff (like product photography)
* Post production
He is also a talented photographer himself. Now that may sound like a requirement to be a photography author, but it is not. Many writers have a lot of technical complicated knowledge, but no artistic vision. This writer has really studied the craft and acquired the skills both technical and has a photographers eye.
He his hands down my favorite photography how-to author because he makes everything look easy, and I think to myself, "I can do that!" And you know what, I usually go out there and do get it right with his help.
I have gone from a mom photographer to recently making the list of Top 10 Indiana Photographers, and I attribute a ton of my success to his books, seminars, and podcasts. Thank you Mr. Kelby!!!
If you haven't read his other books, Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Boxed Set, Parts 1, 2, 3, and 4, Updated Edition, I recommend you do so. Whenever anyone asks me where to start, this is where I point them.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Kelby knows what he is doing, but his awful sense of humor gets in the way of some good tips. Kelby even thinks it's funny when he does a "mind f*ck" with his readers and then says "what did you expect?" No kidding.

The special effects, reflectors, etc. all require expensive set-ups with reflectors, generators and lights. Not recommended for the amateur on a budget. Look elsewhere.

Kindle version is nice however.
on August 23, 2014
If you read any of the first four books you'll recognize this is an expanded version of the last section of the preceding books. The expanded version gives the author more space to discuss the photo-related circumstances in greater detail to allow you to understand how he mitigated the situation to arrive at a successful photo. I bought this first in digital and then in hard copy as I found I needed to go back and forth frequently to see the effects of changes.
on July 26, 2014
The chapter on selective coloring is outstanding. Who would've ever in a million years thought Scott Kelby would take the time to reveal the secrets behind this "Photographer's Dream" technique!
on July 28, 2014
Would give it 5 stars but kindle book version needs a few fixes. Some pages are duplicate and some are missing mid sentence. Hope they fix and give me a chance for updated version. Was very excited to see this new Scott Kelby book. Very informative for photographers who know the basics but want to get a certain look this is the book series for you.
Update: I reload book to my kindle device and book is all there must have been a glitch in the delivery.
on August 9, 2014
Great book, a lot of tips with before and after pictures, and easy to understand. Great price too. Waiting for more books like this one from Mr. Kelby.
on August 3, 2014
I believe Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Series (parts 1-4) may be the best how-to photography books out there. This new book, Part 5 'Photo Recipies', is an absolutely terrific addition. I'm only up to page 30 and have learned at least a dozen immediately useful tips and techniques. I'm talking real 'Ah, ha!' and 'I can't wait to try this' kinds of insights. The advice also includes VERY practical post-processing suggestions (in contrast to books that leave you feeling overwhelmed and confused with the myriad of post-production options). I couldn't be happier about my purchase of this book, and highly recommend it and the other four books to anyone interested in photography at any level of proficiency. The books can be purchased in hard copy or digital form.
on August 14, 2014
This book was interesting and informative. I especially like the free tutorials that Scott makes available to better understand the subject. It is self-described as a "beginner book" but you will need to make a serious investment in equipment and practice to get results like his. Sometimes you can get away with less, as demonstrated by Kelby at a "Light it, Shoot it" workshop I attended in Philadelphia. He used one light, a model and an empty stage to produce amazing photos.

His books are always a pleasure to read and this one featured new photos and and interesting dialogue about the "why and how" of how he makes great photos.