Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The $5 Dinner Mom One-Dish Dinners Cookbook
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 5, 2012
I've always been a great fan of one-dish meals as you can get dinner on the table quickly and easily. After a hard day of work, whether it be at home or at the workplace, there is nothing better than getting a meal on the table with little fuss and fewer dishes to wash.

The $5 Dinner Mom One-Dish Dinners Cookbook offers a good variety of recipes that are $5 or less to prepare. There is a section of vegetarian recipes for cooks interested in preparing non-meat based meals. The recipes seem easy to prepare and Erin Chase's writing is clear and concise.

Some of the recipes you will find in this cookbook include:

Baked Honey-Mustard Chicken
Pot Roast with Dilled Carrots and Potatoes
Grilled Chicken Caesar Flatbread
Sesame Shrimp and Pepper Stir-Fry
Fiesta Beans and Rice (Vegetarian recipe)
Strawberry-Rhubarb Cobbler

Rounding out the cookbook are basic recipes used to prepare the one-dish recipes. Chase has included recipes such homemade beef broth or homemade salsa in the basic recipes section of the cookbook.

Highly recommend.
on September 13, 2012
First of all, I want to say that the prices in here are not realistic for the average American. Do I believe that she can buy 50 cent BBQ sauce and 20 cent diced tomato cans if she tries hard enough? Sure. If you get fantastic sales in your areas and horde the coupons, it's probably possible. But, if you don't live a town with the right stores or have the time to bargain shop, it's not realistic.

If you are trying to shoot for a $5 dinner, I'm going to make the assumption you are just trying to eat frugally. This cookbook will help you do that. I'd say if you are careful and follow the recipes, the average dinner recipe will cost between $6 and 8. There are tips in the front of the book on how to save money.

Trying out the recipes in this book, I realized you better like tomatoes. Every other recipe contains either diced tomatoes (canned) or spaghetti sauce. They are not overly healthy, but they aren't unhealthy either. I think if you allowed yourself a little extra budget-wise for each dinner you could make it a lot healthier. My family has liked the food so far, though.
on December 26, 2012
I got this because I was trying to cut down on my grocery bill. If you read the beginning and all the tips she gives you, you can create a $5 dinner! I must admit that some of the recipes take quite a bit of time to prepare. If you're looking for a 30 minute meal check out Rachel Ray. The best thing about the recipes is that they use little or no processed food! The instructions are easy to understand and simple enough for a beginner to do. The amount of food you get from each meal is at least enough to feed a family of four. Most of the time I have leftovers. Cooking everything in one dish helps out with dishes. I've recommended this book to everyone I know. Even if you're not on a budget, it's worth having because of the natural ingredients the recipes use. This is a staple and should be in every moms kitchen.
if you're skeptical, check out her website. It has a few $5 recipes and a slew of other recipes as well.
on May 17, 2015
I love this book! I am so glad that I came across the authors website and decided to buy her books. I never have to worry about finding something to cook because I can just look in this book and find an easy answer. The recipes are easy and taste wonderful.
on November 16, 2013
This is a good book of easy dinner ideas for frugal cooks. As an accompaniment to her website, it teaches how to serve great meals for less.
on April 10, 2014
Works great for our family even though we have a long list of food allergies. Very easy and economical and healthy.
on September 21, 2013
I picked up a copy of this because I have her other 2 books, and love them. I happened to catch it on sale and purchased another copy for my daughter who lives in a cramped apartment with a makeshift kitchen. So, the fewer the dishes, the better. She has tried a number of recipes from this book and her and her husband really liked them.
on June 14, 2014
I like the basic concept. The recipes were simple but I always feel free to make additions. Of course, the concept of five dollars is a bit out of date -- can't go by the estimates anymore.
on November 2, 2012
I love this book. I found so many recipes I want to fix. I can only do a few at a time. I have made several and they are very good, plus I love the low price. The prices she gives you are for the mid-west. I live in the South and my prices vary, but they are still very low. Great Book.
on December 6, 2013
Great book. My kids are grown now. I wish I had it when they were young. I also bought the other 2 books also great.