5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series!
Again I was impressed. Really enjoyed the latest addition, only complaint is it isn't long enough. Short read, but very entertaining. Once you start reading you can't stop. Only takes a day, maybe two to finish but it is a good read!!!!! Keep them coming!!!!!!!
Published 4 months ago by Aaron

3.0 out of 5 stars Skip this one; wait for number 9
Published 4 months ago by Norm De Plume

3.0 out of 5 stars Skip this one; wait for number 9, August 6, 2014
I've read all 8 books in this series and I've got to say that I'm a bit let down. The formula of this book just doesn't work for me. Each of the directives, as mentioned in the title, is a separate vignette taking place in a vastly different part of Texas in a post-apocalyptic world. None of the vignettes allows the reader to see how each directive, or priority, for rebuilding a broken society progresses. The author hints at what will happen, but abandons each directive to move onto the next.
Another aspect of this book that bothers me is that the two main characters of the series have very little time together before hopping on to the next adventure in the next vignette. Perhaps the outcome of this forced separation will be dealt with in the next book, but the two characters are better together than they are apart. Also, some previously important characters are completely missing in this book. Bring them back.
I hold out hope that the ninth book will be better then number 8.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series!, July 27, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Job Joe., July 30, 2014
I read Holding Their Own 6, 7 and 8 (this one) in a row after a year gap from book 5. Joe continues to deliver a good solid read. Very enjoyable, believable and action packed. So far Joe's books are my favorite of all the SHTF books I have read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Excellent Addtion to the Series!, August 6, 2014
Joe has been my favorite author for about a year now, and shows no signs of stopping. The Directives is full of twists that I wouldn't have expected, and also does more to address the political challenges of government than any other survival novel I've read. Bishop, Terri, Hunter, and the rest of the main characters all face the dilemma that has always plagued those who govern the United States at all its levels: How do we get people to cooperate without forcing them to surrender their freedom? I think that they're answering the question better at this point than many people in Washington (the fictional one in the book, and the real DC).

Again, Joe includes more useful survival tips and insights on how to handle a post-collapse situation, and I found myself using my highlighter quite a bit. This is still my favorite series, and I get the sense that it is as of yet unfinished. The Alliance is making excellent progress, but there's still more to be done. I'm wondering if there will be any confrontation with the federal government though. It seemed as though there was going to be earlier in the series, but that never materialized. I doubt a government would be happy that a separate entity is forming that could challenge its power...that certainly was the case with the Independents. I can't wait to see what's in store for Book 9. Keep it up, Joe!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stories, August 8, 2014
I enjoyed the stories, but I think these where just fillers until better (hope so). Not as powerful as the previous books. Still I liked how the author touch on the logistics and pains of a small nation starting to form. It was also noted by the author again in how becoming so dependent on a system that encourages dependency (Buying food, etc at a store. Using online for almost everything). So as I said before these stories were just like fillers so I hope something better from this author is on the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book yet ..., August 4, 2014
Terri and Bishop are still my hero's. This is the best of the "Holding you own" saga books. You'll like Corky! Using Bishop, Joe talks about our country and the people and how we aren't prepared for any thing less along something like he and Terri went through. The storyline gets better and new character are introduced and move through the storyline. There are still a lot of bad guys for Bishop to deal with. I really enjoyed this book. So read, enjoy, learn and save some food.

4.0 out of 5 stars Joe Nobody continues to be my favorite TEOTWAWKI author, July 31, 2014
I think Joe Nobody's "Holding Their Own" series is great and I look forward to reading the next book. But I did not give book 8 five stars because the book is about beginning 'nation-building' and perhaps should be the culmination of the series...rebuilding the USA. But I became a fan during the constant action of "getting out of Dodge". This series should definitely be on your "read list".

5.0 out of 5 stars great place to leave it, August 7, 2014
I figured that this series was done after Book 7. In fact, I hoped it was done...great place to leave it, I thought. Then along comes Book 8. Different style of story-telling and a much different approach to dealing with the progressing situations. But it worked. Now looking forward to Book 9.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great character development, July 20, 2014
I read anything Joe Nobody writes. Great character development, excellent plots and accurate descriptions along with entertaining dialogue. He needs to be cloned because he is several notches above the rest of the SHTF fiction writers.

5.0 out of 5 stars #8 is another winner, August 12, 2014
Joe has done it again. Book #8, in this already fantastic series, takes us further into rebuilding society. Of course there are some major challenges to overcome that include tense action; but "The Directives" is just as interesting and captivating as the previous books, some of which had more action. I really like how Joe interweaves important life philosophy and the fundamentals that made our country great. He accomplishes this without beating you over the head with it; so well in fact that I think this particular book would be a good one for folks who don't quite get what prepping and survivalist strategy is all about. Unlike one reviewer, I enjoy an emphasis on various characters. The main characters are still present in #8; and they are evolving and interacting with a few new folks, all of whom flowed seamlessly into the story.

As I've probably noted before in reviews about books from this author, Joe is among the very few in the major league of SHTF writing. If you have not read in this series, be sure to start with book #1 of "Holding Their Own" series. If you want to know who the other few outstanding SHTF writers are, just link to my other 5-star reviews.

Congrats again, Joe on another intriguing book!

The Directives (Holding Their Own) (Volume 8)
The Directives (Holding Their Own) (Volume 8) by Joe Nobody (Paperback - July 17, 2014)
$14.95 $13.46