Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Disabled and Their Parents: A Counseling Challenge
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on April 16, 2012
This book was in the "American Bookstore" of my city, Milano (Italy). I am not disabled (but I cannot even say I am normal, as normalcy is not a sensible concept) nor have disabled relatives. However, this book immediately seemed to mirror my opinion that Western societies can be very cruel and indifferent to exceptional kids, although societies have learned to speak about disabilities so that it seems there is no cruelty or indifference.

In these days, everybody is very attentive to the correctness of talk about disabilities. Few, however, really dare to express constructive thoughts about how disabled people can be helped to flourish, about how to counsel them and their families. Everybody seems to be walking on eggshells in this regard, for fear of saying something unpopular.

Buscaglia found himself perfectly at ease when talking about disabled people and their relatives. Because he cared. He thought disabled people can be better than so-called "normal" people, in the task of developing a better self, and a better society. If only we knew how to deal with their characteristics, and not be scared by them.

A must-read for those who think that we are strongly hypocritical about people who are different from "normalcy", in any fashion.