5.0 out of 5 stars Divvies Cookbook Makes It Right

2.0 out of 5 stars Afraid to try another recipe
Published on October 28, 2010 by Marianne

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Divvies Cookbook Makes It Right, July 23, 2010
I don't usually write reviews of things but I felt the need to share my joy about this book. Having three kids with food allergies, we struggle every day with things like eating out, public events, and birthday parties. Not only have we found the recipes in this book delicious and easy to make, we love the tips that are included to just make life easier. The Sandlers know what it's all about and Lori's tips are an added bonus to this wonderful book. My youngest son is just about Benjamin's age and when he saw the picture in the book of party ideas, he said "Mom, can we make those cupcakes?" He's never really wanted to do any baking but he was so proud of his cupcakes and they really tasted great. We tried the chocolate puddings and really enjoyed the flavor and the fact that it's served warm made it extra special. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has been looking for delicious recipes that are clear and easy to follow that produce great results. I have a friend who's daughter has allergies and I am going to get a copy for her as a birthday gift.

2.0 out of 5 stars Afraid to try another recipe, October 28, 2010
Marianne (Alexandria, VA United States) - See all my reviews
I have mail-ordered cookies from Divvies Bakery before and my daughter (who is allergic to eggs and nuts) loves the chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin ones. So I was excited to buy the book on Amazon. Tonight I made the vanilla cupcakes for my daughter's preschool Halloween party and it was a horrible experience. I am a frequent baker and have made all kinds of baked goods (cookies, scones, muffins, cakes, meringues, creme brulee, cheesecakes, pies, etc.) so I rarely trip up over a recipe. First of all, the recipe says to prepare a 12-well cupcake pan but then at the end it says this recipe makes 18 cupcakes. Huh? Then while baking, the batter "exploded" out of the wells. After cooling, the cupcake tops got hard and stuck to the pan so that I could not get any of the cupcakes out of the pan. I tasted one of the ruined cupcakes and it was very salty. In the end, I threw all of the cupcakes away and ended up baking other cupcakes from Cherrybrook Kitchen's yellow cake mix (they turned out great). I'm almost afraid to make something else from the Divvies cookbook. Maybe I'll get the courage again one of these days. I'm giving this two stars instead of one because we still like their mail-ordered cookies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious desserts on my table again..., July 23, 2010
I have a food allergic child and love to bake. It has been difficult for me to figure out how to make substitutions for eggs and dairy that are safe, yet still work to create a great tasting dessert. So far I have made two recipes from this book and have been pleasantly surprised - they were great! I made the Ginger Snaps and the Cinnamon Buns. My family loved them both. Thank you Divvies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Divvies Cookbook - Fantastic, July 23, 2010
Finally - a cookbook for food allergic adults and children. The recipes in this book are delicious and easy to make. The first recipe I tried was the chocolate chip cookies which came out delicious. Even the baking time worked out great, although I always keep a careful eye when baking. I feel so confident about the recipes and tips in this book, as I know this is something the author Lori Sandler has created for her own son Benjamin. Who better to get recipes from than someone like Lori who has real life experience with food allergies! You have made life a lot easier and more FUN for families with food allergies! KUDOS to you Lori!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not fantastic, January 12, 2011
I know that Divvies is a great company and the mom who started it is very creative. For those who need some insight or ideas on what to do, these recipes are simple and fun. It's great if you find yourself at a loss for what to do to create a special treat for your allergy prone child or grandchild. My issue is that we have soy and dairy allergies in addition to eggs. Almost every recipe has some soy product in it. Yes, I can replace vegetable oil with canola, rice milk for soy milk and Earth's Balance Soy free margarine for the regular margarines, but tofu is just not an easy replacement. We don't do soy and in a society where soy is in everything, including Divvies chocolate chips (unlike Enjoy Life chocolate chips which are dairy and soy free), why do we need more recipes with soy. Someone has to be able to figure this out. Also, some of the recipes are more appropriate for older kids, like the popcorn ones. I'm sure we'll use this more as my little one gets older but I bought it with the intention of having some great options for Holiday baking but ended up not loving the recipes or finding some of my original ones that were easier to convert. Someone has to come up with a soy free, dairy free, egg free pumpkin pie. Maybe someday I'll figure out a good one and write my own cookbook!

5.0 out of 5 stars Divvies Cookbook - Love It!!!, July 23, 2010
I was so excited when my best friend brought me a copy of the new Divvies Cookbook. She knows how I struggle with making tasty treats for my kids who can't have any nuts or eggs. I couldn't decide what to make first from all the tempting selections. I actually let my kids choose what they wanted me to try and they both agreed on the apple-apricot Cake. WOW!! It was so tasty and delicious that it only lasted one day. The cinnamon buns were the next one on their list of must trys and we were equally excited about the results. The kitchen smelled so good while they were baking.
At last, a cookbook that's easy to follow with great results. What else could I ask for. Thanks Divvies for coming up with such tasty recipes, we can't wait to try them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Allergy Friendly Baked goods!, October 1, 2010
As a mom of four, and one child having allergies to dairy, eggs, nuts since birth. I am loving this new bakery book! My son is almost 12 and let me tell'ya...12 years ago there was nothing out there like this for parents. His first birthday cake was like a hockey puck and tasted like one too! I commend the ladies who have dedicated time to coming up with these recipes! And I THANK THEM! Food Allergy Mamma is another great baking book like this one. Each uses similiar items, along with a few different ingredients. It is great to try the same allergy friendly chocolate chip cookie two different ways. I recommend this for any parent with allergies in their homes. For ANYONE really..because all the baked goods taste fantastic and you can't tell the difference between allergy friendly and not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lit Fest Magazine reviews "Divvies Bakery Cookbook", August 3, 2010
"The Divvies Bakery Cookbook"
By Lori Sandler

A truly, wonderful cookbook, "The Divvies Bakery Cookbook" is like a gift delivered to my kitchen. Created by Lori Sandler for her son, who is allergic to nuts, eggs and dairy, this mother has done a spectacular job creating food her son can eat, and his friends will envy!
As I flipped through this fun book I was captivated by the tricks, tips and information that every mother can use, not only the mother of a child with severe allergies. My own two children enjoyed looking through the pages and had even more fun as we experimented with the recipes. Our personal favorites were the chocolate cupcakes, warm apple-apricot cake, chocolate-dipped marshmallow pops and squish kabobs. Each of the tasty treats we created over the past few days were appropriate for all children, yet those without allergies did not miss the eggs, nuts and dairy at all. Everything was so delicious, so well-crafted that we licked our fingers, cleaned our plates and asked for more, every single time.

Reviewed by Amanda Goossen for Lit Fest Magazine ([...])

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank YOu Lori Sandler and Divvies Bakery..., July 23, 2010
Kevin Brenner (Pound Ridge, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I have been a long time fan of Divvies products. One of my children has food allergies but EVERYONE in my house LOVES Divvies cupcakes, cookies and popcorn. I love to bake and I love to entertain but it is not always easy to please everyone and still keep my desserts safe and yummy for everyone. I was so happy and surprised by The Divvies Bakery Cookbook!! Before I even started to bake I flipped thru the book...it is amazingly beautiful!! It has the same beautiful colors and feeling of the Divvies products my family has come to love. The pictures are GREAT and everything looks so yummy.

The book is clever and smart...I LOVE the "Before you begin" section. It talks about foods to keep on hand, in the pantry and the fridge and most importantly...how to read labels and how to be safe.

I found "Baking Basics" to be very helpful as well. There was new stuff to learn, even for someone who bakes frequently

I also enjoy how the book is divided into really fun sections like, "Outdoors and on the road" and "Its your party". It is very reader friendly and filled with GREAT ideas.

The first thing we made at home was the chocolate bags. We had so much fun making them!! It is a beautiful dessert to serve your company OR your family. All five of us melted chocolate, painted our paper bags, peeled our frozen bags and filled them with sorbet and fruit. DELICIOUS!!! We had a great time...fun family activity.

Tip...DO NOT skip the beginning of the book...so much to read...Lori's dedication and note...the note from Benjamin and the sweet story about a child's visit to the bakery. It is all so warm and heartfelt, you will feel good reading it (and perhaps shed a tear or two)

Congratulations to Lori Sandler and thank you for this gift from the heart for your inspiration, Benjamin and to all of us. I can't wait to try more recipes!

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful food allergy baking book, October 23, 2010
I have already made several of these great-tasting recipes that are safe for my food-allergic family members and delicious for those without food allergies. Worth every penny!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Divvies Bakery Cookbook: No Nuts. No Eggs. No Dairy. Just Delicious!
$25.99 $10.40