5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book...
Published on April 29, 2010 by Darlene

1.0 out of 5 stars rehashed veggie "diet" meals, same old same old
I chose such a low rating because b\this book lacks any originality or specialness. basically a 'same' book in a different cover. my wife likes it because she thinks the doctor 's picture is cute.
Published 8 months ago by greg louis kubiak

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book..., April 29, 2010
This review is from: The Doctor Is In: A 7-Step Prescription for Optimal Wellness (Hardcover)
The Doctor Is In: A 7-Step Prescription for Optimal Wellness
I highly recommend this book! Being a Health/Physical Education teacher, I especially appreciate the information Dr. Stork shares in his new book. It is packed with simple, practical ways to improve your health. It is about how YOU have the power to take control of YOUR health. Dr. Stork discusses daily practices that are doable, and most importantly, sustainable. He also explains the difference between a diet, and a lifestyle. He has seen firsthand, working in the emergency department, the ill effects of living an unhealthy lifestyle. His inspiration for this book came from those experiences, which were so very much preventable.

I especially liked the top 5 web shortcuts he references. The websites he suggests, and uses himself, takes the guesswork out of trying to find reputable health resources. At the end of the book, he also gives a great suggestion. He advises getting Post-its and marking the "Quick and Easy Takeaway" pages at the end of each chapter for those moments when you are in need of some encouragement, which we all need at times.

I was lucky enough to have attended one of Dr. Stork's book signings. He is absolutely one of the kindest, smartest, and sincerest human beings you will ever meet. If you have the opportunity to meet him, I would highly suggest that too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Health book + easy read = Pleasantly Surprised, October 16, 2010
I must first admit that I am not a self-help sort of reader. The books I have attempted to read that were not photography or art related, have bored me to tears. However, I actually read through this one with great ease.

There is a lot of fabulous information that should be, and in most cases is, common sense. However, in today's self-induced sugar crazes, we delude ourselves into thinking "just one more," and that "just one more" never comes to an end with sugary beverages or sweets. This is a reality check in on ourselves to open our eyes past the glazed, sugary-goodness, that we get sucked into and face what it is we are doing to our bodies, both physically and mentally.

I love how the good Doctor, is open and honest. He's not just spouting out decrees and expecting them to be followed and not abiding by them himself. And he's been there once or twice with a few of the health ditches that so many of us find ourselves entrenched in, clawing our way back out. Because temptation is so very easy to succumb to, even the healthy can get sidetracked.

Dr. Stork shows a way to finding the path out of the gutter of the anti-health foods and habits we trail behind. And I love that he's not crying out to us to "diet." That is such a horrible thought to have to do such a thing. It's like a prison sentence to so many. I used to be in the military, and I've never dieted, and although at one point I did decide (a few years after I was out) to see a nutritionist, I never dieted, and I never felt weighed down by the rules and strictures of diets.

I need to get back onto this way of thinking again, and incorporate more physical activity to my food pyramid. I love the very idea of that! Dr. Stork's presentation and past experiences (personal and in the ER with his patients) re-open our eyes to the truth of the quick deterioration we are doing to our bodies with all the sludge we consume. And the very thought of letting my doctor down every time I see her, I opted not to change something she commented on - I never looked at it that way. I will be giving her an apology the next time I meet up with her.

If you're in doubt - yes, I highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking to change their health habits, loves someone who needs to change theirs, or for some real looks at what the current state of the American population faces - then please, have a seat, and peruse through "The Doctor Is In." I don't think you'll be disappointed. La! ~K

5.0 out of 5 stars Step by Step, September 2, 2010
Dr Adam Weiss (Buffalo Grove,IL.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The Doctor is in provides readers with down to earth advise on how one can take care of themselves with simple steps and the importance of keeping score- your blood pressure, cholesterol, maintain your weight. Also included are medical tests and treatments for illness that may occur along the way in life.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST BOOK EVER!!!, May 17, 2010
I bought this book the day it was released. I read it and I LOVE it!! Finally, there is a health book that I can understand and doesn't sound like a science book filled with hard words to pronounce. This book has all that I have been looking for. This book has made me make some lifestyle changes. Since I bought this book (April 27th, 2010), I have already lost 11 pounds. I have a huge Thank you to say to Dr. Travis Stork for writing this book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book everyone should read, April 27, 2010
"The Doctor Is In," is a book based on years of practice by a well-respected emergency room physician who has seen first-hand the impact poor eating habits, sedentary living, and tobacco use can have on health and quality of life. Dr. Stork's capacity to translate peer-reviewed medical literature, as well as nutritional and wellness knowledge into a clear, practical, and powerful prescription plan for health is remarkable. In short, Dr. Stork has produced a guide, which encourages people to eat a nutritious diet, incorporate exercise into their daily lives, and nourish the mind-body connection. There are no "fad diets," or shortcuts--this book simply promotes good health. It encourages people to take ownership of their health, and enjoy doing so every step of the way.

Reading and following Dr. Stork's 7 step prescription plan not only tells us what we need to know, but also how we can put that knowledge into practice. I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in promoting good health for themselves or their loved ones. Read this book, embrace it's principles, and you will have much more to be happy about than a smaller waist!

5.0 out of 5 stars I am very Pleased, June 28, 2010
I watch the Doctors every day on T V.I really like them . I especially
like this book. It gives a plan to take better care of yourself with your
diet and exercise. It is just like you are talking to him. I really do like
the book. It is real easy to read and doesn't use a lot of medical terms.
I ordered this book and really glad that I did.

Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, May 21, 2014
There are medical things that are rehashed but there are new insights as well. I love the show for all that it provides and Dr. Stork makes his books read as his show. I recommend if you're looking for updates for health.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book., June 20, 2014
This gets an A double plus. I am 87 years old. Have been on the Stat Plan, Restore Plan and back on the Stat Plan and have lost 15 pounds. It is easy to follow, and the recipes are great. I feel better than I have for a very long time. I love the way Dr. Stork writes and his sense of humor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of practical advice, August 17, 2013
On the cover of "The Doctor Is In: A 7-Step Prescription for Optimal Wellness" by Travis Stork, M.D. With William Doyle, the book claims "The host of TV's 'The Doctors' shows you how to improve your health, feel stronger and more energetic, live longer!" I think the book does just that and a lot more. In this easy to read and understand book, Dr. Stork shows how to transform your own health in seven simple steps with his straight forward honest advice.

I've seen "The Doctors" a few times and I liked Travis Stork. After reading this book, I like him even more. He gives practical advice on health that anyone can use to live a more healthy life. His seven steps include: 1. Be your own health guru. 2. Eat to savor life. 3. Give your body a daily vacation. 4. Nail your health stats. 5. Master the medical process. 6. Open your mind to alternatives. 7. Make the mind-body connection. I'll explain these a little, but I really encourage you to read the book and hear it from the Doc, and then incorporate these ideas and strategies into your daily living.

Being your own health guru only makes sense. It is your body. So take charge of it. Learn how to be health and do it. The book contains some good resources to help you take charge of your own health. Eating to savor life is what Stork calls his moderate eating plan that consists of lots of fruits and vegetables, but doesn't say you can't enjoy a burger or pizza once in a while. Very practical and sensible eating strategy for healthy living. The daily vacation Dr. Stork wants you to give your body is exercise. Nothing drastic here, just reasons and encouragement to use your body to move. If you want an "exercise" book, you will have to get another, but this book tells you why you should be exercising.

Next, Dr. Stork wants you to know your health stats such as cholesterol levels, blood pressure and so on. He provides reasons to know these, and what to do if your levels do not fall where they should. It's another part of taking charge of your own health. (By the way, another great book on taking charge of your own health is Take Charge: Fitness at the Edge of Science by Clarence Bass.)

The chapter on mastering the medical process provides some great advice and tips for when you visit your doctor. First, there are some tips to help you stay out of the doctor's office, and then ways to maximize the small amount of time you get to spend with your medical professionals.

Stork then provides guidance on alternative approaches to wellness, some of which he like and thinks may be beneficial, and others that he doesn't think are worth the time and money spent on them until he sees more evidence that they really work. However, through it all he says to look at alternatives with an open mind.

The final chapter discusses the mind-body connection in regards to health. He discusses the benefits of practices such as yoga, meditation, and tai chi, as well as high quality sleep and their effects on living more healthily.

This is an easy read with a lot of great practical advice on healthy living. I encourage everyone to become their own health guru and take charge of their health. Reading this book, and others, and then incorporating the advice and strategies into daily living will not only allow you to live longer, but live better, and that's what it's all about.

Reviewed by Alain Burrese, J.D., author of How To Protect Yourself By Developing A Fighter's Mindset and others.

1.0 out of 5 stars rehashed veggie "diet" meals, same old same old, February 17, 2014

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Doctor Is In: A 7-Step Prescription for Optimal Wellness
The Doctor Is In: A 7-Step Prescription for Optimal Wellness by William Doyle (Hardcover - April 27, 2010)
Used & New from: $0.01