5.0 out of 5 stars Four Paws Up!
Who knew there were so many fun things to do with your dog in Chicago? Margaret Littman takes us far beyond the asphalt jungle of Wiggly Field in this delightful and informative guide. Along with her intrepid dog, Natasha, Littman explores the best Chicago has to offer for pooches, including little-known havens such as cafes, bars and even restaurants.
Littman has...
Published on November 7, 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Better call first
Published on June 7, 2007 by LB in Chi Town

5.0 out of 5 stars Four Paws Up!, November 7, 2003
By A Customer
Littman has obviously done her homework. Well organized by section of the city, the book weaves solid information with humor, and provides a Fodor's-type glimpse into the rich culture and history of Chicago's diverse neighborhoods. (For example, looking for authentic Mexican food? "Grab your leash and let your nose lead you," to Logan Square or Humboldt Park, Littman advises. After that, head to Humboldt Park for an on-leash tour of the park's Prairie School architecture-not to mention its multi-million facelift from the city.)
Thanks to this book, my dog and I visited a 60-acre, totally enclosed doggie nirvana in Lake County just 45 minutes from the city (I swear I heard my city dog exclaim, "Say, waaaaaaaahat," when we got there) and look forward to checking out other great locales in the city that are not only dog friendly - as we have learned, they roll out the red carpet for four-legged friends. This book is a must-have for any Chicago dog lover!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun, friendly, information-packed, and useful reference, March 5, 2004
Enhanced with the charming illustrations of Phil Frank, The Dog Lover's Companion To Chicago: The Inside Scoop On Where To Take Your Dog by Margaret Littman is an indispensable guide especially recommended for true dog lovers who live in or near Chicago -- or who plan to vacation there with their beloved pet. Region-by-region examination of dog friendly places, as well as a listing of pet-related resources from veterinary hospitals to groomers, animal shelters, pet taxis, dog walkers, dog bakeries, waste removal services and much more, The Dog Lover's Companion To Chicago is a fun, friendly, information-packed, and useful reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Four Paws and Two Thumbs Up, August 8, 2006
L. S. Berris (Chicago, IL, USA) - See all my reviews
Littman has really done her homework here--this is without a doubt the best-written and most useful Chicago-dog-owner guidebook I've read. I bought it right after I adopted my dog Molly, and it has provided us with infomation for a wealth of adventures we never would have known of. Littman (accompanied by her trusty companion Natasha) covered the entire Chicagoland metropolitan area, from the expected dog parks and dog-friendly cafes to the surprising (e.g., the dog-friendly acreage at Fermi Lab). Interspersed throughout the book are short sidebars about dog-friendly events, self-serve dog washes, and more.

The most amazing part of the book was the coverage of Chicago's parks. Littman and Natasha visited every single park in the city (and that's a lot of parks!). While all city parks have leash laws, some are more fun to explore (both for canines and humans) than others. Most notable are the three great west side parks Humboldt, Garfield, and Douglas Parks. These enormous facilities were were planned and designed in 1871 by William Le Baron Jenney to form a large park system connected by a series of interlinking grand boulevards. The parks were modified and improved in the early 20th century by Jens Jensen and are a model of Prairie- style landscaping, featuring formal gardens, reflecting pools, lagoons, and boathouses. Sadly, the parks are situated in neighborhoods that had high rates of gang activity and crime for much of the late 20th century. Today, however, crime in these parks and the surrounding areas is falling (albeit slowly) and all three parks are undergoing extensive rehabbing, with both factors bringing an increased number of visitors. Littman gives the specific history of each park and describes not-to-be-missed architectural highlights in each, as well as noting the walking trails and other areas of great interest to the four-legged among us. I found this part of the book the most enjoyable, not only for the fascinating bits of Chicago history, but also for the good writing: Littman keeps the pace going and the text engaging. An absolute must-have for owners of Chicago dogs who want to do more than just play at the local dog park every weekend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Littman and Dogs: Even better the second time around!, March 19, 2007
This review is from: The Dog Lover's Companion to Chicago: The Inside Scoop on Where to Take Your Dog (Dog Lover's Companion Guides) (Paperback)
Margret Littman knows Chicago, knows dogs and most importantly knows how to share information in a fun, friendly, organized and entertaining way. Although I thoroughly enjoyed the first edition of her book, the 2nd edition proves to offer even more details, stories and ideas for the Chicago dog lover. As a dog trainer and owner of three dogs myself, I have found myself turning the pages of The Dog Lover's Companion to Chicago with great enthusiasm while making mental notes about new places to explore with my pack. Thanks to Ms. Littman for providing our great city with yet another invaluable book. Can't wait for the 3rd edition!

3.0 out of 5 stars Better call first, June 7, 2007
LB in Chi Town (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This is a nice little book with lots of info for dog owners in Chicago. However, the first time I took my pooch, Kylie, to one of their recommended dining spots (Brett's Kitchen) I was told dogs weren't allowed and, further, they had no idea why they were listed in this book. However, we did find a great spot nearby on Franklin Street, Kitsch'n River North, where their first order of business was providing Kylie with a large bowl of water. Too bad they are not in the book...we had a great brunch, and Kiley had fun dog-watching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pooch loves it too!, December 10, 2009
This book is a lot of fun. We have used it to try new bars and restaurants and explore different parts of the city and suburbs. I can't compare it to other Chicago dog guides, because this one has been sufficient.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading for Chicagoans with dogs, September 17, 2007
Where can I go? Where can I not? Are dogs allowed on the beach? Can I get a Starbuck's with my dog?

These are all wonderful questions answered in this volume that is extremely easy to navigate. New to a downtown neighborhood, this book has been a lifesaver for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, September 16, 2008
Don't waste your money. Like many books of this kind, it's out of date by the time it's published. Also, it's not very well-written.

Used & New from: $0.01