5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing work by Hal Borland
Published on August 14, 2006 by Linda F. Kurtz

3.0 out of 5 stars Dog lover's book
Our dog is more a member of the family than the one in the book. The owner of the dog is somewhat detached, a man of another time, when dogs were seldom welcomed into the home. Still a good read, he cared about the dog without getting maudlin.
Published 9 months ago by Bennie in PA

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing work by Hal Borland, August 14, 2006
Linda F. Kurtz (Ann Arbor, Mi United States) - See all my reviews
I didn't know what to expect when I ordered this book, but it had a title similar to another book I just read, so I was curious. When I read the introduction, I realized that this was a book written almost half a century ago and reissued recently. I learned that Hal Borland had died in the 1970s, but had been a prolific writer about many things and especially outdoor life. His story about the dog who chose to stay with him and his wife began on Christmas night and continues over the ensuing years. His descriptions of the dog, Pat, his rural life as a writer, sportsman, and gardener are completely absorbing. They draw you into the world of the upper Connecticut valley by the Housatonic River. I soon began to wonder about his wife, Barbara, and found that her obituary had just been published in the NY Times on the day I looked for reference to her in Google. I felt a real sense of loss at that. This is how Hal Borland's wonderful descriptive writing lead me to feel as though I was back in time and there with them over 50 years ago. Most of all, Pat, his dog, comes alive as a unique yet thoroughly doglike personality who charms and delights the reader. Pat is just one more example of why humans love dogs so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars And the book that came to stay, September 22, 2006
S. Carmichael "soarjean" (a mountain in the south) - See all my reviews
I have a bit of a sentimental attachment to this book as it was one of my first "adult" books, given to me by my grandmother when I was 9. I have read this memoir of a man and his 'found' dog at least a dozen times through and have, actually, visited the house and grounds. Hal Borland, little known now, was a much read naturalist and writer for the New York Times. I don't like his novels so well, except for "When the Legends Die" one of his later books, but his non-fiction is excellent -- factual, loving, but not much anthropomorphism. The dog has his own dignity and the author does his best to convey this. If you are looking for a truthful and loving recounting of the relationship between an older man and a dog, as opposed to the usual sentimental 'boy and his dog' bit, this is a book worth finding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top dog, September 5, 2013
This review is from: The Dog Who Came to Stay: A Memoir (Kindle Edition)
Heartwarming story of an independent dog who chose wisely the couple with whom he would spend the rest of his life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good read., July 10, 2013
A book that all dog lovers should read. I found this by accident along with another book of the almost same title. If you love dogs then this is tale to be savored. Amazing sometimes how people can just pour out their hearts to an animal and love them like family. And a dog will always reward you back with that "unconditional love" and even spread it around to others. I do not think that it is an accident that Dog is God spelled backwards!

4.0 out of 5 stars The dog who came to stay, heartwarming, December 20, 2012
This review is from: The Dog Who Came to Stay: A Memoir (Kindle Edition)
It was interesting to read a book about a pet from the male perspective--very enlightening, educational, and interesting. I liked this book in general but loved the escapades that Pat had, how they ended up, and their effect on everyone. I enjoyed learning about the other animals and their habits. I loved that Hal knew exactly what his dog wanted, his routines and likes and dislikes. I love how he realized his moods, thoughts, reasons why he did what he did and his total understanding of this dog. Having a dog, I totally understand how they "talk" to us! I could envision the fields, ponds, countryside and area that they wandered and spent their time--it was quite relaxing to read. I expected the ending to be very sad and was quite pleased that it was not.

5.0 out of 5 stars for all animal lovers, January 6, 2013
Ross (NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dog Who Came to Stay: A Memoir (Kindle Edition)
Still reading this story and truly love it. Look forward to reaching for it each night (and day when I can). If you are an animal lover and have had any pets before you should be moved by this story as it gives you a view from all sides, both human and animal. Still love reading it and will be dissapointed when I reach the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars mjm, September 7, 2012
This review is from: The Dog Who Came to Stay: A Memoir (Kindle Edition)
well written this book is so real that I can my self relate to it with my love for dogs and how aware they are of people . and also the relation of the husband and wife.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the most vintage heart warming books about the human dog bond., November 7, 2013
Jenny M. "mablecakesmom" (Reno, nv United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dog Who Came to Stay: A Memoir (Kindle Edition)
This is one of the most vintage heart warming books about the human dog bond. It describes how Dogs can enter your life, expand it and complete it all in one lovely book. And it is not a sad book. The characters in this book really take good care of their Dogs, especially given the age this book was written in! In our age, Dogs can no longer run free. Just like our kids, they need to be protected. But still, I Loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, touching and funny book of a man and his dog, October 3, 2013
This review is from: The Dog Who Came to Stay: A Memoir (Kindle Edition)
About five chapters into "The Dog Who Came To Stay", I found myself snorting with laughter. Pat, the stray who came to stay, was not only a rabbit dog, but skilled at woodchuck hunting. The chapter progresses from merely cornering woodchucks, for Hal to shoot, to Pat taking them on himself (no mean task for a hound--woodchucks are mean fighters.) Hal buries each dispatched woodchuck with little remorse and discusses the destruction a ground HOG can do to a garden (believe me, I know.) Then, Pat starts burying the chucks himself. But...there is a hidden motive for this extra level of helpfulness. At the point where Pat is grubbing up a very well aged haunch of prime woodchuck and reveling in it, I'm falling off my chair.

The writing is filled with humor, with the scent of autumn browned oak leaves, apples and woodsmoke. The story of this man and his dog is one that any dog owner would relate to. I couldn't put it down. Borland died in 1978, which is a long time ago. But this writing is evergreen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, easy reading, September 8, 2013
This review is from: The Dog Who Came to Stay: A Memoir (Kindle Edition)
Good book for any animal lover. Even though the book was written over 50 years ago, it is still current and could have been written a few days ago (except for a couple of sentences which date it). I did not read any of the reviews on it before reading but it wouldn't have mattered. Almost a 5 star rating.

The Dog Who Came to Stay: A Memoir