Most helpful positive review
40 of 43 people found the following review helpful
The Donna Reed Show's Second Season is Wonderful!
on March 7, 2009
Season 2 of The Donna Reed Show is here, and the wait was wonderfully short! There are 38 new episodes of the Stone Family's life to enjoy. Mary Stone is now 15 and brother Jeff is now 12 years old. Mary at 15, starts to date, as the high school boys and even young college men take notice of the beautiful young woman she is becoming. There are great guest stars on these episodes as well. The beautiful Esther Williams plays Donna's school friend Molly. And a young Marion Ross, the Happy Days mom plays Jeff's new teacher. This second season is just as wonderful as the first, as you follow life in the Stone household through the end of 1959 and halfway into 1960. Hopefully, the next six seasons will follow just as quickly as this one did, as each season just keeps getting more wonderful than the one before with such great stories and guest stars!
Starring as the Stone Family are:
Donna Stone.......Donna Reed
Dr. Alex Stone....Carl Betz
Mary Stone.........Shelley Fabares
Jeff Stone............Paul Petersen
SEASON 2 EPISODES:
38. 2- 1 24 Sep 59 THAT'S SHOW BUSINESS -Mary feels sorry for a short, shy boy who stutters in their school show, so she helps him with his confidence. When he is paired up with Mary for a dance in the show, Mary gets him to wear lifts in his shoes with disastrous results.
39. 2- 2 1 Oct 59 SLEEP NO MORE MY LADY-Excited Donna can't sleep when flying to a convention with Alex, where he is to give a speech, so Alex gives Donna a tranquilizer to help her sleep.
40. 2- 3 8 Oct 59 A PENNY EARNED-Donna cannot make up her mind on whether or not she should buy a new dress. Raymond Bailey (Mr. Drysdale from the Beverly Hillbillies) guest stars as George Collier.
41. 2- 4 15 Oct 59 A FRIEND INDEED-Jeff takes the blame for a friend Doug,whenever he gets in trouble at school, because Doug's mother constantly berates him. Doug's mother wants Doug to be more like Jeff, who acts so well behaved (when he's away from home.) Donna plans to show Doug's mother the real Jeff at her home, to show her that all boys will be boys.
42. 2- 5 22 Oct 59 THE FIRST CHILD-New parents constantly call Alex, thinking something is always wrong with their baby.
43. 2- 6 29 Oct 59 GOING STEADY-Mary gets Jeff to go to a girl's party, just so she can meet the girl's older brother.
44. 2- 7 5 Nov 59 THE NEIGHBORLY GESTURE-Alex is hurt, when Jeff likes their new neighbor.
45. 2- 8 12 Nov 59 NOTHING LIKE A GOOD BOOK-Donna joins a culture lover's book club and tries to bring culture to her family. When Donna must read WAR AND PEACE in a week and report on it at the next meeting, her culture proves harder to do than she thought.
46. 2- 9 19 Nov 59 FLOWERS FOR THE TEACHER-Jeff's new teacher is too strict for the boys in his class, so Donna tries to settle matters with this new Miss McGuinness. (Marion Ross guest stars as the new teacher).
47. 2-10 26 Nov 59 ALL MOTHERS WORRY-Jeff's friend Phillip has a mother who won't let him play football, as she is too over-protective.
48. 2-11 3 Dec 59 JEFF JOINS A CLUB-Jeff finds out he was not invited to join a club, because he is friends with a boy no one else likes.
49. 2-12 10 Dec 59 THE PUNISHMENT-Donna has a dilemma when she can't seem to win when it comes to punishing the children. She is the bad guy when punishing them herself, and when she gets Alex to punish them, she is the squealer.
50. 2-13 17 Dec 59 A DIFFERENCE OF OPINION-Donna gets cornered into accepting an invitation from a couple neither she nor Alex likes, and they argue, trying hard to argue without the children knowing.
51. 2-14 24 Dec 59 THE HOMECOMING DANCE-Donna and Alex chaperone the Homecoming Dance, when they find out Mary has a blind date with an older college boy.
52. 2-15 31 Dec 59 THE LUCKY GIRL-Donna keeps hearing just what a wonderful husband and doctor Alex is and how lucky she is to have him. Donna starts to think if maybe Alex got the short end of the stick when he married her.
53. 2-16 7 Jan 60 THE BROKEN SPIRIT-When Jeff starts to act like a model child, Donna thinks it must be because of the scolding Alex recently gave him, but the truth is Jeff feels responsible for an elderly neighbor's fall down the stairs.
54. 2-17 14 Jan 60 THE SECRET-Mary keeps it a secret when she gets an engagement ring from Matt, a freshman at UCLA.
55. 2-18 21 Jan 60 THE NEW MOTHER-The Stone Family's friend, little David Barker is so happy when he finds out his father is getting married, thinking he won't have to live in a military school, and will soon have a new mom and real home. David is surprised to find out that things don't always turn out the way you hope for.
56. 2-19 28 Jan 60 JUST A HOUSEWIFE-Donna defends housewives when listening to radio show host Jerry Parker asking the housewives ridiculous questions at her supermarket, like When baking an upside down cake, do you stand on your head?
57. 2-20 4 Feb 60 THE FREE SOUL-Alex's Uncle Dan takes a break from his world travels to visit Alex and the family, and while telling his world travel stories, Jeff can't wait to travel and see the world with his Uncle Dan. Amazingly when Jeff asks if he can leave to see the world with Uncle Dan, Donna and Alex say yes.
58. 2-21 11 Feb 60 THE FIRST QUARREL-Donna gets involved in a couple's spat.
59. 2-22 18 Feb 60 A PLACE TO GO-When Jeff and his friends get into trouble using an abandoned house as their hangout, Donna and the other mothers create a nice meeting place for the children.
60. 2-23 25 Feb 60 A NIGHT TO HOWL-Donna and Alex decide to change their routine and go out on a Monday night, when absolutely nothing turns out right.
61. 2-24 3 Mar 60 THE EDITORIAL-When Jeff is made editor of his school paper, the first thing he writes about is too much homework.
62. 2-25 10 Mar 60 THE GENTLE DEW-Alex has to lay down the law, when Jeff and Mary are slacking off on home chores and school work, but he really flips his top when Mary comes home late from a bowling date with Roger.
63. 2-26 17 Mar 60 THE FATAL LEAP-Donna gets worried when Alex's wild college room-mate is getting married and Alex is invited to the bachelor party. Jack Albertson (from Chico and the Man) guest stars as Jack Richards.
64. 2-27 24 Mar 60 THE PERFECT PITCH-When Donna discovers Jeff has perfect pitch, she makes him take trumpet lessons. Poor Jeff only wants to be on the track team.
65. 2-28 7 Apr 60 PICKLES FOR CHARITY-The Women's Medical Auxiliary Dance cost more to put on than the money it brought in for charity. When each member is asked to donate something to bring in $27.00 each, Donna decides to sell 54 jars of her famous pickle recipe.
66. 2-29 14 Apr 60 MARY'S GROWING PAIN- Mary becomes infatuated with a new intern at the hospital.
67. 2-30 21 Apr 60 ALEX RUNS THE HOUSE-When Donna misses Jeff so much that she joins him at their grandparents farm, Alex is left alone to run the household.
68. 2-31 28 Apr 60 THE CAREER WOMAN-Donna's old school mate Molly, who has been a single career woman all these years is now engaged to a doctor. Molly visits Donna to see what it's like to be a doctors wife.(The lovely Esther Williams guest stars as Molly.)
69. 2-32 5 May 60 JEFF,THE FINANCIAL GENIUS-Jeff gets involved in a series of trades with his friends in order to repay a debt.
70. 2-33 12 May 60 MARY'S CRUSADE-Mary will not go to the school dance unless her friend Ellen has a date and goes with her. Ellen is rather plain, so Mary works on transforming Ellen into a glamorous young lady who can attract a date.
71. 2-34 19 May 60 THE FIRST TIME WE MET-Donna and Alex have very different stories about the first time they met.
72. 2-35 26 May 60 THE GOSSIP-Donna tells the town gossip that Kay Watson is having a baby without knowing that Kay wants it kept a secret, as she needs to keep on working. Donna is so upset, that she may have let Kay's secret out.
73. 2-36 2 Jun 60 LOVE'S SWEET AWAKENING-Mary's childhood friend Petie who is now 16 years old, is visiting from military school, and when he sees how beautiful Mary has become, he wants to be more than just Mary's friend.
74. 2-37 10 Jun 60 THE WEDDING PRESENT-Aunt Lettie is coming for a visit, and Donna and Alex can't find the wedding present she gave them, so they can display it for her to see. The biggest problem, is they don't remember what she gave them.
75. 2-38 18 Jun 60 COOL CAT-Jeff wants to keep a cat that followed him home, that he named Harry, but the Stone Family plan to decide on the cat's fate the democratic way.