Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Donut Chef (A Golden Classic)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on September 25, 2008
Follow the story of the donut chef, as he selects the perfect corner to create his store and builds up his clientele -- until that dastardly competition moves in next door and chaos ensues.

I usually avoid picture books in rhyme, as it's rare to find one that's done well. I can honestly say that this one works.

The text is strong and fun and the story itself engaging. The illustrations, with their geometric shapes, monochromatic colors, and varying textures, are sure to keep the attention of kids.

A perfect bedtime story with lots of re-reading potential!

Reviewed by: Julie M. Prince
on December 20, 2011
This beautiful, humorous, fun book was an instant hit in our house. It is one of those book, that both me and my kids agree that are simply great. They cannot get enough of it,
The story is vibrant and fun - A doughnut chef opens up a doughnut store, and after his success, another doughnut chef opens a store next door!
The two stores compete for costumers and in their rivalry, the chefs try to rise above each other in creativity:

"They made new flavors, quite bizarre
like cherry frosted lemon bars
and peanut brickle buttermilk
and gooey cocoa mocha silk!"

How does it all end? You'll have to read and find out.

What sets this book apart from others, in my view, are the REMARKABLE, nothing short of brilliant, illustrations. The illustrator, Bob Stakke, has a very unique graphic style, creating many characters, all of them funny and interesting out of simple graphic shapes such as circle, triangle and rectangles.
Each page is vibrating with color, with fresh and exciting composition, really - a feast for the eyes. My kids spent long hours just revisiting the drawings, every time finding out something new and funny. I simply adore this book, and I am happy to read it again for the gazillion time. Though the story itself might appeal to 3yrs old and older, the beautiful and vivid illustration of doughnuts, frosting and other delicious things will appeal to even a 2 yrs old. This will make a wonderful gift for a kid you like, especially if this kid is yours and you will be the one reading it over and over again.
on November 16, 2008
A rollicking rhyme enlivens the beat of THE DONUT CHEF, telling of a baker who opens a business on a small street and watches the lines form for his famous donuts - until the competition arrives and a 'battle of the bakers' erupts. In an effort to out-do each other the donuts become stranger and stranger - but two-year-old Debbie doesn't want anything memorable, all she wants is a plain glazed donut. Can her needs change a baker's path? A fine story of competition and unique fare evolves.
on January 9, 2016
I love Bob Staake's books. This is one of my 6-yea-old daughter's favorites. She is learning to read it and already has The Red Lemon memorized. The pictures are beautiful and the story is really cute.
on March 24, 2009
I checked this book out of the library for my 3-year old daughter. She instantly took to it so I bought a copy for her to have. The story reads very easily and the colorful and imaginative donut illustrations captured her attention. And I love the moral of the story . . . that simple is often times better. A great, highly recommended book for preschoolers!
on October 14, 2012
If you're intro "retro" art, like that done in the 50s, you need to check this book out right now. I actually thought from the cover and its designation as a "Golden Classic", this was a reissue of a much older book. Instead it appears to be first released in 2008, and the author is someone who does New Yorker covers (sorry, don't read it). In telling a tale of a donut chef who goes overboard competing with a similarly cutthroat donut chef next door, the author uses colorful, flat geometric shapes as a basis - both for pictures of donuts and for pictures of people and everything else. And there are lots and lots of donuts, lots and lots of people, and lots and lots of everything else on each page. I don't know how kids would react to that (I buy the books for myself as an illustration buff) but I sure could spend about a half-hour looking at each page.

I truly didn't think anyone was doing this style of illustration anymore and am thrilled to see I was wrong! The effect is like Dr. Seuss had a collision with a box of Colorforms. The little girl "Debbie Sue" who finally shows Mr. Donut Chef the error of his ways reminded me a lot of "Cindy Lou Who". It made me nostalgic, although the story is very modern. If only he'd made it "The Cupcake Chef" it would have been very contemporary indeed - but donuts get the point across just as well, and promote the beautiful use of circles, circles everywhere.
on August 20, 2014
This is a cute, funny rhyming story about a chef who makes donuts and is in competition with a fellow baker in the neighborhood. The competition grows and gets out of hand with extremely ornate donuts. But in the end, the chef learns that there's nothing better than the simple old glazed donut. Colorful illustrations, good for ages 3-8.
on April 24, 2012
This is by far one of our favorite books! I have 2.5-year-old twins, and it's on constant rotation. The story is fun and the illustrations are great - always seeing something new! I've become a huge Bob Staake fan because of this book. Only downfall...it makes me want to eat a donut!
on February 19, 2014
which is a bonus! I really love it when kid's books are a clever read for me as well. Just shows general creativity/wit on the part of the author PLUS means there is room for the little ones to 'grow into' a bigger level of the book. Cute, clever, well-priced, great illustrations. I'd recommend this for sure ALONG WITH the MONKEY WITH A TOOL BELT series by Chris Monroe which is the BEST!
on January 2, 2014
This quickly became a daily read in our house. The story is cute and the rhyme is so catchy. Both of our kids ask for the book before bedtime and usually bring it to us randonly throughout the day. I am so excited for the new addition to our nighttime ritual. Mom, Dad and kids love this book! A must for any parents that have kids that like books with silly rhymes!