5.0 out of 5 stars Help your kids learn creativity
Published on March 11, 2004 by George Eliot

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for young beginners
I was looking for something for my 6 year old. This is for a little too easy for her. Good book. Simple
story.
Published 4 months ago by Susan B. Cooper

5.0 out of 5 stars Help your kids learn creativity, March 11, 2004
George Eliot "Mary" (Washington, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dot (Hardcover)
Reynolds does a fantastic job showing how someone can be creative or artistic and not even know it. I picked up this book at an elementary book fair first because I thought it was well written and illustrated. Second because I want to help my children realize they have hidden talents. And third because my husband is an art teacher in high school and his students are constantly telling him they can't draw.
This book not only teaches that anyone can be artistic but it teaches that creativity is not something only some of us are born with - it is something we all have inside of us, we just need to find a little bit of inspiration to bring it out. In Vashti's case, it was her teacher framing her dot and hanging it by her desk.
I recommend this book for anyone: kids, adults, teenagers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for Any Elementary Library, March 2, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Dot (Hardcover)
This book was delivered automatically in our Junior Library Guild order, and it has become one of my all-time favorites as a librarian.
When Vashti angrily stabs a dot onto an empty art class assignment, her teacher wisely follows through with a lesson in life by framing her dot for all to see.
This little bit of attention takes Vashti to new heights by allowing her to take that dot and see where it leads her. She paints all sorts of dots and gains new confidence.
What the story really teaches us is to try, and to start with the tiniest of dots to begin our journeys. As my library class discussed the theme, many of the kids brought up "dots" in their own lives, such as learning how to roller skate, sink a free-throw, or turn a cartwheel. We all have to start somewhere!
And as Vashti's teacher told her when she finished that first dot, "Sign it!"
This little book is truly an inspiration, and the kids loved it. I want my own copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Story and Author, February 10, 2005
This review is from: The Dot (Hardcover)
My second grade class LOVES this story and have carried over the message of being proud what you do into their writing as well as drawing. The author Peter Reynolds came to speak at our school and was wonderful. He held the students attention and was very inspirational. I highly recommend all of his books, he writes great fables with a positive message.

5.0 out of 5 stars El Punto!, March 5, 2006
This review is from: The Dot (Hardcover)
Peter H. Reynolds has crafted a simple but inspiring story that recognizes the creativity in everyone and shows how simple words can inspire that creativity. This is a book for all those people who have been told they can't by someone, because it proves that imagination lies within us all and that we only need hear it from someone so that we may begin to believe it ourselves. Reynolds reminds us of the powerful influence of teachers and their ability to challenge the preconceived notions we might hold about ourselves, encouraging us to dream and turn those dreams into reality.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect gift, February 13, 2007
This review is from: The Dot (Hardcover)
Anyone who works with children and reaches out to give them a sense of self-worth deserves this book as a gift. It is simple, gentle and touching. The Dot is the story of a child who is frustrated with the artwork she makes until a teacher tells her simply, "sign it". That small interaction gives the girl the confidence to take chances and grow until, ultimately, she's the one saying "sign it". This book speaks to the idea that teachers really do touch eternity...they never know where their influence will stop. If you have a favorite teacher, give him/her this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful Book, February 26, 2004
Lane Young "Teacher and Librarian" (Highland Park, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dot (Hardcover)
Vashti thinks she's a terrible artist. Her art teacher challenges her to draw a dot. When Vashti sees her finished dot on display behind the teacher's desk, she decides she can do better. The beautifully simple illustrations add to this sweet book about finding hidden talents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly inspirational!, July 11, 2005
This review is from: The Dot (Hardcover)
A fabulous book. For those of us that never got beyond drawing stick people it's a revelation! What is art can all depend on ones perspective. I think it's great for ALL ages!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ageless Appeal!, September 18, 2003
Pam Tish (Dupo, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dot (Hardcover)
This book actually has an ageless appeal to all of us who feel 'I'm not an artist'. I'm a middle school art teacher, and it also charmingly shows how a gentle nudge by a teacher can start a snowball of creativity!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book!!, October 2, 2005
This review is from: The Dot (Hardcover)
I absolutely loved this book! It not only entertains, but teaches children that their own artistic expressions are valuable. It's a "feel good" book that children and adults will love!!

5.0 out of 5 stars HANDS DOWN one of the top 5 Children's Books I have ever read!, March 2, 2009
This review is from: The Dot (Hardcover)
Last year I read this at one of my staff development in-services and there wasn't one person who shuffled a paper or lost focus. That is a remarkable feat! This is an ABSOLUTE MUST OWN and MUST READ at least once per year for anyone who works with children. Follow the remarkable story of how one reluctant learner transforms his self-esteem with one dot. Be mesmerized as he uses his dots to inspire other reluctant students who soon look up to his remarkable feats as an accomplished artist. It is the ultimate testament to my all-time favorite quote that I first came across in Mitch Albom's best-selling memoir TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man and Life's Greatest Lesson : "A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops." --Henry Adams Buy it and find the nearest reluctant learner to inspire him or her to leave his mark, I mean DOT, on the world!

The Dot
The Dot by Peter Reynolds (Hardcover - September 15, 2003)
$14.00 $9.57
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.