5.0 out of 5 stars nice show, good role models
one of a handful of shows I'll let my toddler watch. The characters aren't rude to each other, and instead focus on trying to understand and help with their friends' emotions and struggles. It's pretty simple stuff, but it's good for toddlers and probably preschoolers. There's a sprinkle of mandarin words, but not a ton.
Published 10 months ago by Rebecca Turner

3.0 out of 5 stars Should teach more Chinese
D seemed to like it but not a whole lot of chinese going on there..am a little disappointed, although I like the idea of the show
Published 5 months ago by Dairy Mom

5.0 out of 5 stars nice show, good role models, November 29, 2013
Rebecca Turner (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Teaches how to be considerate and nice, mandarin words too, August 20, 2012
My 3 year old really enjoys this show. A chinese-american girl living with her grandfather "ye-ye" with many animal friends. Usually there's a new mandarin vocabulary word tossed out but the main part is there's some social or emotional difficulty that occurs with one of the animal friends. Such as fear of heights, fear of trying a new food, impatience waiting for a new toy to be built, anger at being copied. Then Kai-lan leads the way in finding out what's wrong and helping to find a solution. The answer to the problem is always sung in the same tune. For example, what to do when you've caused a problem: first you say you're sorry and then you fix it. Afraid of trying something new? Just try it try it try it (which I sing to my picky-eater daughter).

5.0 out of 5 stars Mandarin Chinese for kids, a few words at a time., April 9, 2012
This review is from: Ni Hao Kai-lan Season 1 (Amazon Instant Video)
Ni Hao Kai-Lan (Hello, Kai-Lan) is a kid's show about a young girl, her paternal grandfather, and her animal friends. Each episode deals with a minor problem the characters deal with, usually hurt feelings, and one of the characters thinks back to the incident that caused the problem. Once the characters figure out what went wrong, they have a song and then carry on. There's usually one or two new Mandarin Chinese words per episode and the standard "ni hao" (hello), "xiè xiè" (thank you), and "zài jiàn" (goodbye) in every episode. Unfortunately, the words are only pronounced rather than written out in characters or pinyin. I end up referencing the Wikipedia page that lists the episodes ([...]) to get the simplified characters and word listing.

From a parent's perspective, I didn't really like the nonsensical parts like tickling Mr. Sun to wake him up or driving a train over flying bugs, but my kids loved it. The ideal audience is probably 1-4 year olds. It's also nice to finally have the series on a video streaming service (Netflix doesn't currently stream it).

As an aside, there are some Beanie Baby versions of the main characters on Amazon. Ty Beanie Baby - Kai-lan - Ni Hao Kai Lan

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute in small doses, February 10, 2014
My 3 year old has watched this show for over a year, and it's adorable to hear her speak Chinese in response to the characters' questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very educational, May 4, 2014
Shoe lover (Minnesota, USA) - See all my reviews
Very educational for my 2year old. We now greet eachother in Chinese when we arrive home for the day. Will continue with the next season

5.0 out of 5 stars We love Ni Hao Kai-lan, August 10, 2014
Ni men hao! We moved to an area of Brooklyn that is primarily Chinese-speaking. I started playing this for my then 18-mo-old, and to my surprise he was fascinated. He still asks for it, and we are both learning Mandarin. I'm bummed that there are only 2 seasons available. If you go to Nick Jr's website, you can see little videos with all the words and pronunciations. We love Ni Hao Kai-lan! Hope this review helps. Xie xie!

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter's favorite show!, March 13, 2014
HLC2212 (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
My daughter loves Ni Hao Kai-Lan, both season 1 and 2. She's learning Chinese from the show and some of the behavior concepts we have been teaching not to do. She loves to share now, because we remind her from the show, sharing is good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this show!, September 29, 2013
Both my 3 year old son and 1 year old daughter absolutely LOVE this show! It's adorable and has heartfelt values, including family. I'd choose this one over Dora any day.

5.0 out of 5 stars daughter loves this show has since she was a baby ..., September 14, 2014
T. Demarco (pompano beach FL us) - See all my reviews
daughter loves this show has since she was a baby shes now almost 6 and loves it just as much!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good program, but UnBox is HORRIBLE, May 31, 2010
Ni Hao Kai Lan is a great show. Tots can learn a bit of Chinese. Even better, each episode helps little ones about how to express emotions, and deal with them. Great show.

The downside is that this is part of Amazon's evil side - Unbox. This software lives on your computer, access the internet all the time, has terribly slow download speed, and is, in general, the worst way to access movies EVER. If you can find this in a different format, buy it elsewhere. Pretty much everyone hates Unbox, and for a good reason. It is pure evil.

Anyway, cute show.