5.0 out of 5 stars Mandarin Chinese for kids, a few words at a time.
Published on April 9, 2012 by Pen Name

3.0 out of 5 stars Super annoying
My daughter can't stop watching this show. I find it an extremely annoying show. I also feel it's not very educational, sure it's "teaching Chinese and friendship" but i feel it doesn't do a good job at it
Published 5 days ago by Liz Cook

5.0 out of 5 stars Mandarin Chinese for kids, a few words at a time., April 9, 2012
This review is from: Ni Hao Kai-lan Season 1 (Amazon Instant Video)
Ni Hao Kai-Lan (Hello, Kai-Lan) is a kid's show about a young girl, her paternal grandfather, and her animal friends. Each episode deals with a minor problem the characters deal with, usually hurt feelings, and one of the characters thinks back to the incident that caused the problem. Once the characters figure out what went wrong, they have a song and then carry on. There's usually one or two new Mandarin Chinese words per episode and the standard "ni hao" (hello), "xiè xiè" (thank you), and "zài jiàn" (goodbye) in every episode. Unfortunately, the words are only pronounced rather than written out in characters or pinyin. I end up referencing the Wikipedia page that lists the episodes ([...]) to get the simplified characters and word listing.

From a parent's perspective, I didn't really like the nonsensical parts like tickling Mr. Sun to wake him up or driving a train over flying bugs, but my kids loved it. The ideal audience is probably 1-4 year olds. It's also nice to finally have the series on a video streaming service (Netflix doesn't currently stream it).

As an aside, there are some Beanie Baby versions of the main characters on Amazon. Ty Beanie Baby - Kai-lan - Ni Hao Kai Lan

5.0 out of 5 stars nice show, good role models, November 29, 2013
Rebecca Turner (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
one of a handful of shows I'll let my toddler watch. The characters aren't rude to each other, and instead focus on trying to understand and help with their friends' emotions and struggles. It's pretty simple stuff, but it's good for toddlers and probably preschoolers. There's a sprinkle of mandarin words, but not a ton.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teaches how to be considerate and nice, mandarin words too, August 20, 2012
My 3 year old really enjoys this show. A chinese-american girl living with her grandfather "ye-ye" with many animal friends. Usually there's a new mandarin vocabulary word tossed out but the main part is there's some social or emotional difficulty that occurs with one of the animal friends. Such as fear of heights, fear of trying a new food, impatience waiting for a new toy to be built, anger at being copied. Then Kai-lan leads the way in finding out what's wrong and helping to find a solution. The answer to the problem is always sung in the same tune. For example, what to do when you've caused a problem: first you say you're sorry and then you fix it. Afraid of trying something new? Just try it try it try it (which I sing to my picky-eater daughter).

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter's favorite show!, March 13, 2014
HLC2212 (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
My daughter loves Ni Hao Kai-Lan, both season 1 and 2. She's learning Chinese from the show and some of the behavior concepts we have been teaching not to do. She loves to share now, because we remind her from the show, sharing is good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great show for little ones, December 22, 2013
My four year old loves this show. It teaches a lot about getting along. There is always a moral to every story about sharing, getting along, or being a good friend. My daughter is four and she absolutely loves this show. I don't have to worry about what she is going to hear while she is watching it alone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why I like it, December 20, 2013
I can learn Chinese. When there is a problem, There is a solution. To reveal the solution, Kai-lan always sings a song.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this show!, September 29, 2013
Both my 3 year old son and 1 year old daughter absolutely LOVE this show! It's adorable and has heartfelt values, including family. I'd choose this one over Dora any day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ni Hao Kai-Lan, April 16, 2014
Shang Tseng (NORMAN, OK, US) - See all my reviews
Kids love to watch this and learn a great deal of Chinese and good manners from it. It is very educational.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great learning tool., April 14, 2014
Great show for young children, with emphasis on Chinese culture and helping to resolve emotional issues. It also focuses on cooperative behavior.

3.0 out of 5 stars Super annoying, April 12, 2014