Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Beyonce Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$6.99

VINE VOICEon February 8, 2003
When I first heard Blake Shelton's latest hit, "The Baby," I thought to myself--Aw, no, he's gone soft! That is NOT the case. Shelton delivers his second album with a masculinity that the guys will relate to, and the girls will think is sexy. So, you see, either way you win!
To the album.
Producer Bobby Braddock has helped shape Shelton into an artist that bridges alt-country and mainstream country. The opening track, a pumping, stomping number called "Heavy Liftin'", is a perfect example of this. "My Neck of the Woods" is for the rednecks in the audience, while "The Baby" is for you sentamentalists (I'm sorry if that's spelled wrong).
"Georgia in a Jug" is about a man who's goin' on his honeymoon to Mexico alone; and the funny and off-beat "Playboys of the Southwestern World" also deals with a trip to Mexico...and a little more. The John Rich (former frontman of Lonestar)-penned "Underneath the Same Moon" is a poignant ballad of wondering where an old lover is. "Someday" questions where you go and what happens when you die.
"The Dreamer" is an autobiographical piece written by Shelton (duh, think about it for a minute) that tries to balance his fame and his life. "Asphalt Cowboy" is about a man born to run, written to the woman he loves, explaining it all.
This album will hit you. Not hard, and not bad; maybe a little pinch on the cheek, for a job well-done. "The Dreamer" is not an earth-shattering album; Blake Shelton is not a beat-all performer. But let me tell you this: he's darn good. Buy this album; if you regret your purchase, you don't like country music.
on May 27, 2003
Finally, country music is beginning to sound like REAL country music again! Not to take anything away from all the current Nashville talents who are crossing over into the pop genre, but when you get the country itch, it needs a good old country scratchin'! I generally need to listen to a new CD 3 or 4 times before it grows on me...but this one was absolutely enjoyable all the way through on the first spin. No bad tracks...only good and better! We need more singers like Blake Shelton around forever! And he ain't bad to look at, either!
on May 24, 2003
I was born in New York City and spent my first 30 years there. We don't have a country music station here now in the NY/NJ area. The only place I get to hear Blake is on my computer. One thing I noticed is that all the best lyrics these days are in country music.
Of course the song that made me buy this cd is The Baby. I can identify, being the baby of three in my family. This song stood out as the best thing they were playing on the country music stations on the computer.
Playboys of the Southwestern World sounds like a hit to me. It is a really interesting story and has a good sound too. I like to listen to lyrics. And I don't trust Mexico after all the stories I've heard of the Mexican authorities locking away American kids for next to nothing, and extorting money from their families to make their prison time bearable. Hey amigo, your folks send us thirty thousand or we break your arm. I don't know if it's still true. Reminds me of the song Lawyers Guns and Money. Anyway, Playboys is much more lighthearted.
I was really surprised by the last song on the cd, Someday. It sounds like I wrote it. I always think about the exact same things. It really knocked me out that the singer of my favorite current country song was singing about the things I always think and talk about.
There are a few others that are related lyrically, like the one about the guy who is dying and seeing he's "Almost Home". Even in current black music there are a few on the subject, like India Arie's song "The Truth" and Erykah Badu's song "Next Lifetime". But "Someday" gets into it a lot deeper than the last two.
Thanks to Raymond Moody's books, and all that followed, there's a lot of interest in where the hell we go after here. If you are interested, you might want to check out the best book on the subject, here on Amazon, called Journey of Souls.
on February 15, 2003
If I only had one word for this album it would be WOW! I really didn't know if Blake could improve on his first album but he did. Some albums the songs sound alike, but on this one all the songs sound so different. I believe Blake is also able to show us his different vocal styles. He has a Travis Tritt sound on "Heavy lifting". He also sounds like he had more fun making this album, just listen to "Playboys of the Southwestern" And how can you forget the heart wrenching emotions of "The Baby". Blake sings it with such emotions, I don't think any other artist could have done it as well. In my opinion Blake is the best young country singer out there today. And this album shows how versitile he really is. I would highly suggest buying this album to anyone.
on February 13, 2003
OKLAHOMA JUST KEEPS ON PRODUCING GREAT COUNTRY SINGERS. BLAKE IS OBVIOUSLY THE NEXT IN A LONG LIST OF GREAT OKLAHOMA COUNTRY SINGERS. BLAKE'S FIRST RELEASE OF THE BABY IS JUST A SAMPLE OF THE GREAT SONGS ON THIS CD. BUT THIS CD NOT ONLY HAS GREAT BALLADS IT ALSO HAS SOME FAST PACED SONGS AS WELL SUCH AS PLAYBOYS OF THE SOUTHWESTERN WORLD, HEAVY LIFTIN, AND MY NECK OF THE WOODS. DON'T MISS OUT ON THIS GREAT CD.
on February 19, 2003
Blake Shelton really shows what he is made of on this record. The songs are better than the first record he sings with much more pizazz and there is no dull song on the record. I love Heavy Liftin I hope that becomes a single it would shake up country radio if it did and Asphault Cowboy is another great one. The Baby right now is the only known song to most people on this record but I think every other song is even stronger than that one buy this record it is good.
on February 11, 2003
Oh, to hear 'The Baby' played on your radio for the first time,(thinking "Wow, what an excellent voice!" Viewing the video played for the first time (even more powerful effect...gives me the impression of Jesus Christ with that deep blue-eyed stare). Then to top things off, seeing Blake perform live (Taylorville IL) is enough to really get the freshman listeners to love him and his music. He comes out belting 'Heavy Liftin' and ends with 'The Baby!' The Dreamer is a must buy! Love his rockin' music, organ playing, guitar strumming songs of his life and southern roots! It was worth the 800 mile round trip to Central IL from a southwest suburb just outside of Chicago!
on February 12, 2003
Blake Shelton's new album is very impressive. The music is great, but it's definitely the quality lyrics that define this album. Even the quirky songs like "Georgia in a Jug" are well written and delivered with honesty and emotion. "The Baby" is one of the best country songs I've heard in a long while. It's pure and raw, like a country song should be. I would definitely recommend this album to others.
on February 12, 2003
Blake Shelton's new album "The Dreamer" is an exellent piece of work. "Heavy Liftin" is my favorite, it's a fast, hard, country song. BLake really got into this album, he wrote and co-wrote most of the songs on this album. Looking for comedy? Blake's "Playboys of the Southwestern World" leaves you on the floor laughing!!!! Listen to the lyrics of all the songs, they show alot of meaning...
on February 13, 2003
If you loved his debut album you will love The Dreamer. Blake Shelton has found a way to combine the traditional "old" country sound with the new "pop" sounds of today. I garuntee that there will be at least one song on this album that will hit home with many, whether it be The Baby, The Dreamer, or Someday ... this album will move you ... from tears to laughs.