5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT for reading to young kids, or beginning readers
Pigeon & Duckling have a discussion on asking (politely) & (please).
It's a fine book for ages 2 to 5/6 to teach (through adorably simple characters) the art of asking and giving (thank you).
Published on June 5, 2012 by Harold Wolf

2.0 out of 5 stars Stick with the hot dogs and leave the cookies on the shelf.
Published on April 16, 2012 by J.Prather

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT for reading to young kids, or beginning readers, June 5, 2012
Harold Wolf "Doc" (Wells, IN United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon) (Hardcover)
Pigeon & Duckling have a discussion on asking (politely) & (please).
Taken for what it is, designed for the youngest of book listeners and readers, it is similar to the author's other book in the pigeon series. The author, after all, got his start on Sesame Street (6 Emmy wins) which explain somewhat his book publishing success. He started with "Don't let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!" and has been teaching small children big lessons since.

You will enjoy reading "The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?" to grandkids 2-6 (only if you have cookies nearby.) That my recommendation from a recently retired elementary teacher. Buy kids books, inspire them to learn, to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Pigeon Book, April 4, 2012
This review is from: The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon) (Hardcover)
The Pigeon books are my 2 year-old son's favorite books. We read them every night for bedtime, and he laughs out loud every time. This book is similar in style to the other Pigeon books, and it has a sweet and funny message to it (I don't want to spoil it by saying more than that). If your child is a fan of the other Pigeon books, this one is a must-have.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Duckling Gets a Cookie, April 3, 2012
This review is from: The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon) (Hardcover)
I work at a preschool and kindergarten and the kids' favorite books are always the pigeon books. This book does not disappoint when it comes to Mo Willems other pigeon books. It really is cute and will teach the children manners in a hidden way, which is always good :) Mo Willems has made another funny, cute, amazing book and I'm so glad I preordered this!

2.0 out of 5 stars Stick with the hot dogs and leave the cookies on the shelf., April 16, 2012
This review is from: The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon) (Hardcover)
I have had such success reading this author's other Pigeon books in story time that when this one came in, I used it without hesitation. Unfortunately, instead of the giggles and smiles that usually result from A Mo Willems tale, this one was met with utter silence and a lot of blank stares, quickly followed by a lot of wandering attention. I can't really blame the kids, as this one is kind of boring. The usual drama and charm are sorely lacking. It seems overly long, and more like it was written for the grown ups in my audience rather than the kids. Anyone looking to this one for a good story time read should stick with the hot dog loving, bus driving Pigeon and leave the cookies on the shelf. Not a recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best of Willems's pigeon books, May 23, 2012
This review is from: The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon) (Hardcover)
I have no shame in admitting I reach for a Willems book just as much for my own entertainment as I do to mollify the maniacal little terrorist who calls me Mommy. This one is only "meh." I hate to think that the pigeon may need to retire. Perhaps this was merely a hitch in the author's stride, and we'll see a better pigeon in the future, but I'm glad I bought this at a teachers' warehouse sale. I'm out only about four bucks.
We pass books on in my family; I have mine, my mother's, and some of my grandfather's books, and they'll all be passed to Mayhem and his children, unless he uses them as kindling to burn down my house. Anyway, I will buy every pigeon book Mr. Willems writes, just to have the set, so I do hope the next one is back up to par.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Mo Willems' Best, April 9, 2012
This review is from: The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon) (Hardcover)
My family loves the pigeon series books so we were excited to add a new title to our collection. The book is low on plot and low on words in general. It seems the writer/publisher just wanted SOMETHING to sell to get more money. Stick with the original or "Don't Let the Pigeon Stay up Late" or "Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog."

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Mo Willems, May 7, 2012
This review is from: The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon) (Hardcover)
This is the third book I've purchased for my 5 year old granddaughter. She loved "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!" and "The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!" and I'm sure this one will be just as popular! Great drawings and layout!

5.0 out of 5 stars That Duckling teaches terrible lessons. The cookie isn't good enough for the ..., October 20, 2014
This review is from: The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon) (Hardcover)
That Duckling teaches terrible lessons. The cookie isn't good enough for the duck so he offloads it on the pigeon who is none the wiser. That duck is a sociopath and master manipulator. A bad book to instruct or amuse children.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute children's book!, March 6, 2013
This review is from: The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon) (Hardcover)
This book is a big hit with the preschool set. The story is a great way to teach children about manners, and to politely ask for what they want without pouting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pigeon is flabbergasted... and outsmarted, May 11, 2012
This review is from: The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon) (Hardcover)
In typical fashion, Pigeon loses his cool upon discovering that the Duckling has received a cookie simply by asking for it... and the story unfolds from there. In the end, of course, Pigeon has no idea that Duckling has outsmarted him again (the first time being in The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!).

Part of my job is working with primary grades, and I find that the kindergarteners especially love all of the Pigeon series and the way they are invited to interact directly with the text. In fact, their classroom teacher today is having them create their own Pigeon cartoons, as this is the 4th Pigeon book we have read together this year.

I have grown into a huge Mo Willem's fan as I've started working with younger and younger grades, and this episode of Pigeon is sure to delight.

The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon)
The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon) by Mo Willems (Hardcover - April 3, 2012)
$15.99 $12.31