Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 4, 2012
The Pigeon books are my 2 year-old son's favorite books. We read them every night for bedtime, and he laughs out loud every time. This book is similar in style to the other Pigeon books, and it has a sweet and funny message to it (I don't want to spoil it by saying more than that). If your child is a fan of the other Pigeon books, this one is a must-have.
Pigeon & Duckling have a discussion on asking (politely) & (please).
It's a fine book for ages 2 to 5/6 to teach (through adorably simple characters) the art of asking and giving (thank you).
Taken for what it is, designed for the youngest of book listeners and readers, it is similar to the author's other book in the pigeon series. The author, after all, got his start on Sesame Street (6 Emmy wins) which explain somewhat his book publishing success. He started with "Don't let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!" and has been teaching small children big lessons since.

You will enjoy reading "The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?" to grandkids 2-6 (only if you have cookies nearby.) That my recommendation from a recently retired elementary teacher. Buy kids books, inspire them to learn, to read.
I have had such success reading this author's other Pigeon books in story time that when this one came in, I used it without hesitation. Unfortunately, instead of the giggles and smiles that usually result from A Mo Willems tale, this one was met with utter silence and a lot of blank stares, quickly followed by a lot of wandering attention. I can't really blame the kids, as this one is kind of boring. The usual drama and charm are sorely lacking. It seems overly long, and more like it was written for the grown ups in my audience rather than the kids. Anyone looking to this one for a good story time read should stick with the hot dog loving, bus driving Pigeon and leave the cookies on the shelf. Not a recommend.
on April 7, 2016
Can not say enough of how much we love these books! We received couple of the Pigeon series for our son's 3rd birthday from our friend who is a school counselor. She said the kids at her school loved these books and that it was really great for development. At first, I wasn't sure how I felt about the books as the characters (mainly Pigeon) flies off the handle and has quite the melt downs and tantrums (I was afraid my son would think it was funny and acceptable to behave this way too) but soon I realized that wasn't the case. The characters have full and complex emotions such as frustration and sadness and that really connected with my son because he gets frustrated and sad too. My 3 year old son and I talked about why the character was angry, frustrated, and/or sad and now my son tells me when he feels angry, frustrated or sad. It really is great for child development! But that involves the parents talking about the book and why the characters and behaving the way they are. We will be continually adding the Pigeon series to our collection. I have NOT been given these books for free or at a discount. I offer you my 100% unbiased recommendation.
on January 15, 2014
This is a cute book, it teaches that saying please is sometimes all you need to get something you want instead of making demands and complaining etc (obviously pigeon is the one doing the whining!) but as these books go it isn't quite as fun as the others are.
on January 4, 2016
Absolutely the favorite books in the house. You will love these adorable books. My grandkids love reading them over and over. Well, they think they can read, but actually they have heard them read so many times that they have the pages memorized.
on May 1, 2014
We love Mo Willems books of all sorts, but have a special love of the Pigeon series. Perhaps I think that because of the great voices my wife uses when reading these books in particular (almost as good as her Gerald and Piggy voices). Regardless, this book has a great message about asking nicely for things. I don't think this will replace our love of the earlier Pigeon books, like Don't let the Pigeon Stay Up Late, but this is still a good book. Our girls both like it (5 and 8), even though our older daughter rarely looks at picture books any more. She still likes Mo Willems' books. I recommend them all. If you don't have any of the Pigeon books, however, start with an earlier one and work you way to this one. It's good, but it's not his best. Still worth five stars though.
on April 3, 2013
a super cute book but it loses its appeal after reading it for the 20th time. i recommend buying it for a kindergarden or first grade reader - anyone older is just not going to like it.

i did laugh my butt off on the initial read through though
on January 24, 2015
Mo Willems is a wonderful children's author. His books are funny, sarcastic, and just plain fun. I began reading these to my son and eventually he wanted to read them to me. It was such a great transition. He would bring me the books and ask me to read them with him. I only wish Mr. Willems could repeat this formula in every age bracket through high school because finding books gets more and more challenging.
on October 21, 2014
Cute, but was hoping the pigeon would pick up on the duckling's manners. Instead, pigeon gets a cookie, even though he's thrown a fit. Although it was in keeping with pigeon's character, I was kinda bummed by this missed opportunity.