5.0 out of 5 stars No nonsense; no gimmicks

1.0 out of 5 stars Find a Copy of the Old Edition of this Book
Published on January 17, 2009 by Valley Reflections

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars No nonsense; no gimmicks, April 30, 2007
No food combining; No forbidden foods. Maybe it was the fact that I liked the menus in the plan. Or, the fact that I would love to attend The Duke Diet & Fitness Center but, lack the $9,000 it would cost me for a 4 week stay. Either way, I loved the book. There are a total of 16 menus in the book (2 different carbohydrate levels at 2 different calorie levels for 4 weeks) It takes a body,mind, food approach that really works for me. I've lost 6 pound in 2 weeks and continue to lose. This is not rapid weightloss. But, I feel great and no one knows I'm dieting. They even have a letter for you to use to those who are trying to "help" you diet telling these people what is and isn't helpful ( you fill in the blanks of course.)

Absolutely priceless.

I fed my husband meals from this plan and he didn't know it was "diet"food.

5.0 out of 5 stars finally a book and a plan that makes sense!, May 3, 2007
there's just something so common sense about the duke diet. you can eat anything you want; it teaches you about nutrition, fitness -- and what i really like -- how to THINK differently about my relationship to food. most diets out there have a gimmick; the duke diet doesn't ... but after just three weeks i can tell you it works. plus, my sister went to the residential center and she lost 30-40 pounds and has KEPT IT OFF.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the inspiration!, July 8, 2007
I first heard about the Duke Diet and Fitness center while living in Raleigh-Durham North Carolina. The name Duke itself is synonymous with academic-health excellence.

The authors take a balanced and personalized approach to weight loss that covers nutrition, fitness and behavior, and I was pleased to learn that the plan was developed and refined over nearly four decades. This adds credibility to what the authors are presenting to the public.I like their approach, for one their diet is really a self care plan, and not a " lose 20 pounds by August" type of a product.

I have all along had the belief that all these health problems are a result of faulty conditioning, so it was a relief to see that these 2 doctors were emphasizing the teaching of healthy habits. It is that simple!
Other than teaching folks how to become more skilled at resisting temptation, they also teach the reader how to avoid being tempted in the first place. This is real talk!

The Duke behavioral plan was an eye opener, their major selling point to me was their focus in the way people think about food and themselves.They use this method to help the reader recognize self defeating patterns such as the " all or nothing" thinking, and the " I blew it , so I am a failure" mind set.

Martin Banks and Howard Eisenson are the perfect dream team. These two individuals were drawn to a place that encourages a multidisciplinary approach to this urgent and pressing health issue.Both of them acknowledge that that obesity is a complex problem that requires a multi disciplinary approach. I happen to share the same opinion regarding this issue!

The authors encourage and promote the empowering of the individual with knowledge and skills that will enable them to make the right choices when it comes to all nutrition and exercise.They focus on people making small but fundamental shifts in their lives, again not only in the areas of eating and activity, but also in their emotional or interpersonal patterns that may lead to overeating or under exercising.

This is a realistic book, an easy read for anyone who wants to get to bottom of having a healthy body and mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound and Thoughtful!, July 18, 2007
Dr, Eisenson has written a wonderful synopsis of the Duke
Diet & Fitness Center program. I was fortunate to spend 2 weeks in Durham at the Center. It is a comprehensive and educational program. I lost 65 pounds and have kept it off for four years, using the hutritional,exercise,and medical advice I received at the Center. The book and online Duke program are wonderful touchstones to maintain my balance-and pick up some great recipes & workouts, too.
If you can't visit the Center, this book is an excellent way to begin taking care of yourself right now, at home.
I give this book my highest recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars In The Past I Tried Everything But Wiring My Jaw - This Works!, September 15, 2008
I went to Duke for a year and lost close to 70 lbs. (67 to be exact). I exercised, ate and was satisfied, and it worked! The food was good, the lessons learned are meant for a lifetime, and are priceless to me! Every time I put food into my mouth I know what it is doing to my body. If I overeat I feel like crap. If I eat healthy my blood pressure, sugar and all my other bloodwork looks great. You have to learn to say "No" to the "Triggers" that set you off or at least be aware of them, so that you know what you get yourself into if you indulge. The "KEY" is if you have something, have it in moderation, and don't have it 3 days in a row. Get back on your plan and "Keep on truckin"! Sometimes the weight doesn't seem like it is ever going to come off, but don't give up, because guess what... It does! Exercise is key also. If your too overweight to walk on the treadmill, sit in a chair and do body twists, or move your arms and feet from side to side. Movement of any kind is better than "NOTHING"! Once you lose some and feel better you can then "Kick it up a notch" as Emeril says. Make a journal of all that you eat so you are aware of exactly what you are putting into your mouth each day. You will be surprised how the calories add up and you don't even expect it! My best advice is "if you overindulge, pick yourself up, brush yourself off and start eating healthy again. In no time at all you will be right back in the swing of things again for a happier and healthier life!

Linda Miller
DFC Alumni

5.0 out of 5 stars One month on - Five pounds off!, August 9, 2007
One month eating from weeks one and two menues, has resulted in a firm loss of 5.4 lbs and 4" off abdomen! Not hungry and don't feel deprived. My family hasn't even noticed they are eating less but have commented on Mom's new variety of menues.

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Are Looking For A "Diet," This Is Not The Book For You, September 7, 2007
Renee (BROOKLYN, NY USA) - See all my reviews
And if you are looking for instantaneous weight loss instead of slow, but certain change, save your money, as well. This is an excellent step-by-step guide to good health for people looking to make a lifestyle change and get into shape (as opposed to simply getting skinny for a short time). It requires that you address changes in habits that go beyond those dealing with food and eating habits. I highly recommend it .

5.0 out of 5 stars The Duke Diet Book, May 20, 2007
It is a very thorough list of dieting techniques and exercise methods that are worthwhile for those needing or wanting to lose weight. While it does require some time for preparing the dishes and doing extra shopping, the end result makes the effort worth the effort.

1.0 out of 5 stars Find a Copy of the Old Edition of this Book, January 17, 2009
Believe it or not there are those of us out there who own a copy of the 1990 edition of this book by Drs. Hamilton, Kolotkin, Cogburn, Moore and K. Watterson. I bought this new version because the old one was outstanding, and as a result was much disappointed. The current authors jazzed up the book, and have essentially created a Duke University Weight Watchers look alike. I was astonished at the similarities. Go to Weight Watchers instead!
The old parts of this book that were removed were some of the items most endearing to me: A test at the beginning (a pretty good one too), a caloriec count section with portion control, and overall a removal of some great psychology motivation and excerpts and examples from those who have previously lost. A no nonsense section of advice to succeed. They removed these!!!! Very sad. Go to [...], or [...] and see if you can't get hold of the old one. It was worthy. This one is not. I've bought diet books and chucked them out, but this old one I hung onto.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful information, January 31, 2014
I don't like counting calories, which this diet is. However, the book is based on the concept of lifestyle change and not being on a diet. Therefore, the authors give many useful tips on how to move to a healthier lifestyle. The book's tone is upbeat and positive. As a person who has been on every diet that comes along, I found this book helpful with its practical suggestions. And best of all, since implementing their suggestions, I've lost 12 lbs.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›