Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The ACT For Dummies
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on July 20, 2006
I bought this book along with The Real ACT Prep Guide and have found this book to be much more useful. I already understood the basics of the test, but I was looking for something to refresh me on all those little rules I'd forgotten in school. This book did just that. It is a great reviewer, especially in the English and Math sections.

I found this book very easy to follow along with. It is divided into sections for each subject test. In each section you will find basic rules and simple explanations for things that are commonly on the test. The math portion really brushed me up on things I'd forgotten in geometry and algebra. Even if you're having trouble understanding you math teacher, this book will teach you what you need to know very easily. With each new thing you learn in the book, it gives you a sample question that uses your new information. Then you get questions at the end of each section that test what you've learned.

I also found the tips to be very helpful, such as one that said the ACT never asked any questions about spelling. It's helpful to know that when you're taking the test, and it was one less thing I worried about on the English test.

The practice test in this book wasn't as close to the real test as it could have been. A few of the questions were a lot easier or harder than you'd find on the real test, but overall they were close to the real thing. I suggest picking up a practice test with your registration packet for a more realistic test.

In conclusion, this book is great if you want to brush up on your skills over a period of time, or if you want to cram the night before the test. I found it very helpful and littered with great test taking tips.

I know this isn't an accurate measurement, but after reading about half the book (and having an additional year of school), my score went from a 22 to a 26, and then to a 29. Some of that has to be due to this book.
on September 26, 1999
I am a high school student in Iowa, and I had previously taken the ACT and was not content with the score I recieved. I bought this book on Amazon.com, read the entire book, and finished and scored the practice tests prior to taking the test a second time. When I went to take the test again, I felt a lot more confident about the test, and when I got my results, I had raised my composite score 5 points, and one of my subject scores 7 points. I suggest that every college-bound student read this book before taking that very important test.
on May 14, 2003
The ACT for Dummies is a great ACT study guide. The Math section totally refreshed me and was very valuable when it came to test time. But what really made the ACT for Dummies book so good was that it was full of really cheesy humor. This humor helped keep me reading a book that would otherwise be extremely dull and positively unbearable. I wouldn't be at the University of Michigan without the ACT for Dummies!
Hey also check out The 5 Minute Iliad, after finishing the ACT book
on February 4, 2003
It's fun to read and it's a good prep. Unfortunately, the practice tests contain several errors. So far, I have only taken the english and the math sections of the first test, and I have found three errors. (And this is only on the first two of eight practice sections!) I have the 3rd Edition and these problems might be different in other editions. Feel free to dispute me.
(Asterisks represent underlined portion in question.)
English, problem 19, test 1:
Born in 1921 in Ithaca, New York, Alex spent his early years with his grandmother in henning, *Tennessee*. The oldest of three sons in his family.
19. A. NO CHANGE
B. Tennessee - the oldest of
C. Tennessee because he was the oldest of
D. Tennessee. Alex was the oldest of
The explanation gives D as the correct answer. They must have forgotten to underline "The oldest of" in the sentence following Tennessee.
Math, problem 18, test 1:
G. 60+15(SQRT)3
H. 60+5(SQRT)3
J. 45+5(SQRT)3
K. 45
After working the problem, I got the answer 45+15(SQRT)3. The explanation gives the same, but it's not an answer choice!
Math, problem 28, test 1:
28. Given that x is an integer, for what value of x is x+(2/3)x
and x+4<15?
F. 8
G. 9
H. 10
J. 11
K. 12
I took this to mean, "For what value of x are both x+(2/3)x AND x+4 less than 15?" I thought that was a strange was of phrasing it and the explanation implies that the question should have asked, "For what value of x is x+(2/3)x>15 and x+4<15?" It gave the answer H. It seems they left off the second half of the first inequality.
Sorry if this sounds like bashing, but these flaws really threw me off during my practice test. It entered my mind that the test could be wrong, but I did not think that assuming that the ACT people made a mistake was the smartest thing to do.
Also, I am under the impression that the practice tests in this book are not real ACT tests, meaning that they were made up for this book - not priorly administered tests.
on March 20, 1999
This book is a good all around source of ACT review. It has a regular review of geometry and basic algebraic concepts. However, it does not come close to everything you kneed to know, which would be nearly impossible. I have studied the whole book and have raised my math score by 4 points!
on August 8, 2001
I bought this book with the intention of just reading the sections I had trouble with. I found it to be so helpful and easy to read, I ended up reading the entire book. I don't beleive I would have scored as high if I hadn't.
on June 18, 2011
Don't get me wrong this is a great book, but If you are a person who is just taking the test after a break from school and deiced to go on to college this will be extremely difficult for you. I found some of the material good reference but as far as teaching me anything no it left me confused and frustrated. I think if it had explained the problem and the answer and had a question after each problem it would have helped me to understand but putting a bunch of info at once then you get to the end and do test well I done forgot half of it cause I didnt have to work it out before going on to the next thing. I would think it would be good for someone just out of high school but some of the material is teaching you way different then it was originally taught to me and I stayed more confused then anything.
on March 22, 2008
We love the "Dummies" series for their humor and easy-to-understand qualities. What good is a prep book if your mind wanders due to boredom? My son felt this book helped him understand the subjects better than his high school classes did. After thoroughly reviewing each subject, the book had two practice tests with complete explanations in the next chapter. This really helped my son prepare for and do well on the ACT. We highly recommend it.
on December 10, 2012
This book was a great tool for a person out of school for a few years to refresh for there act. I can't speaks for the sat. I achieved an imacculate score but the book was help, not the reason. Highly reccomended but don't rely on it for everything!
on January 8, 2009
I bought this book because of its ratings on Amazon, its a great catch up but its not what you need if you want to get a really high score on the ACT. I used this book primarily for its geometry review because it was the only part of the ACT I did not do really well in. The book help mego from a 20 Math Composite score to a 23, so it helped very much. I also used The Real ACT book and I found it to be much more helpful then this book. but if you need a good review from what you learned in high school this is the book for you but as far as getting higher than a 23 this is not the book for you.