5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Best Cookbooks
This is one of the best cookbooks that I have ever purchased. The recipes are simple to follow and do not call for exotic ingredients. The recipes we tried have all come out excellent and I wouldn't adjust any of the ingredients, cooking times or amounts. Well worth the money! It looks like it will get plenty of use in our house.
Published on March 8, 2007 by R. Blais

2.0 out of 5 stars Annoyingly poor editing and proofreading
We sure agree with the other comment about lousy editing. All three of the recipes that we tried had steps omitted. In the Wild Mushroom Soup you reconstitute the dried mushrooms, and add their water, but never actually put the mushrooms in.

Published on January 25, 2008 by L. Biffle

2.0 out of 5 stars Annoyingly poor editing and proofreading, January 25, 2008
L. Biffle (Cave Creek, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dutch Oven Cookbook: Recipes for the Best Pot in Your Kitchen (Paperback)

In the introduction, they stress to never run the stovetop heat above medium on an enameled dutch oven, but then the recipe says "bring to boil over medium-high heat.

There are some recipes that look good, but we'll double-check them on the Internet before trying them. We were really hoping this would be a great cookbook, but are very disappointed with it. We'll shopping for a replacement.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice book but poor editing and proofreading., January 20, 2008
M. Galbreath (Finger Lakes, NY) - See all my reviews
While the recipes in this book are very nice I found some errors. For example, the Roasted Beet soup doesn't indicate at which point you are to add the diced, roasted beets to the soup. An experienced cook could figure this out well enough but an omission of this magnitude does not speak well of the publisher. I emailed customer service at the publisher and never received a response. Perhaps I will research the authors and communicate with them.

3.0 out of 5 stars The ONLY Dutch Oven Cookbook, February 14, 2009
"The Dutch Oven Cookbook: Recipes for the Best Pot in Your Kitchen" is one of only three dutch oven cookbooks I am aware of on Amazon that provides recipes for indoor cooking with dutch ovens. I found this cookbook locally after recently buying my first cast iron dutch oven. Along with many promising recipes come a number of shortcomings, which I didn't fully appreciate until I got the book home.

First off, although the author initially writes that they use both cast iron and enameled cast iron, she goes on later in the book to recommend enameled cast iron, and, indeed, the care instructions at the beginning of the book are geared toward that preference too. Consequently, this book will not replace the likes of "Cast Iron Cooking for Dummies", a popular title that I was hoping to bypass due to its lack of applicable recipes for a dutch oven (most are geared toward a skillet, and the few dutch oven recipes that appear in that book are for the 7 quart size). Secondly, while the capacities called for in the recipes that appear in "The Dutch Oven Cookbook" range from 2-quarts to 5.5-quarts, most are geared toward a 5.5-quart dutch oven. I have two issues with this: First, I only own one dutch oven, not the variety of sizes called for in this cookbook. Secondly, the dutch oven I own is cast iron of the non-enameled type and because it is built by Lodge it is an even 5-quarts, with the next size being the 7-quart size (and there are no 7-quart recipes in this book).

Because I own a 5-quart dutch oven, most of the recipes would have to be cut down in order to fit, but neatly halving the larger recipes would be overkill so it would be closer to shaving off 1/4 of the ingredients. Similarly, increasing the 3 quart dutch oven recipes would involve slightly less than doubling the recipes -- all of which sounds like too much math for this writer. The alternative, of course, is to eyeball it, but whether recipes will taste like the author intended them becomes iffy at that point. The last FYI that may be of importance to some home cooks is an additional item the description for this book doesn't mention. At the beginning of the "Main Dishes" chapter, the author writes that it is necessary to use a cast iron skillet to brown and braise meats before transferring them to a large dutch oven. Of course, those who own a cast iron skillet will not have an objection to this, but it does add an extra expense and/or step. Now in all fairness, browning and braising is often called for by the better slow cooker cookbooks too. My main issue is that I hadn't planned on buying a cast iron skillet because I already own the more conventional nonstick type. I bought this title precisely because most of the others aimed at indoor cast iron cooks involve a skillet, whereas a dutch oven cookbook is what I'm after.

It might just be that I will keep this dutch oven cookbook despite its drawbacks. Why? Because of another problem entirely: Lack of alternatives. There are at most two other cookbooks, as of this writing, that claim to offer recipes for indoor cast iron dutch oven cooking: "The Cast Iron Chef: The Main Course." and "101 Things to Do with a Dutch Oven". The problem with the latter is that while both outdoor briquette info. and indoor stovetop and oven conversion temps are supposedly offered in the book as per the Amazon description, a reviewer states that a number of the recipes are geared toward camp cooking without the indoor cooking instructions consistently included. Hmm...

Perhaps a general cookbook on so-called one pot meals would be a closer match to what I am looking for. Unfortunately, the ones I have seen thus far suffer from the same problem -- the capacities the authors call for are all over the map and none that I've seen bother to state clearly on the front or back cover to whom their recipes are tailored. It would seem to be an overlooked editorial necessity on the part of publishers to delineate these particular types of cookbooks titles according to serving size, perhaps suggested by key words such as "One Pot Meals for Two" or "One Pot Family Meals". In this way prospective buyers will have some idea how applicable the title is to their household.

In closing, those who shop from a farmer's market will find themselves well served by "The Dutch Oven Cookbook". Those who shop at grocery stores, on the other hand, may find some of the ingredients difficult to find (lemon grass, chanterelle mushrooms, Bosc pears, Cameo, Jonagold, Winesap or Braeburn apples, etc.). The main dish recipes call for roughly 8-16 ingredients, some of which are only available through ethnic markets and/or specialty suppliers mentioned at the back of the book (Mae Ploy Fish Sauce, Couger Gold cheddar cheese, Madras curry powder, Hungarian paprika, Italian parsley and kirschwasser, for example). There's also the occasional recipe that requires more than just a dutch oven or a skillet. "Spaetzle", for example, is a noodle dish that requires a "special piece of equipment".

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Best Cookbooks, March 8, 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great cookbook!, February 18, 2008
Mary Ann "Cookaholic" (Solana Beach, California USA) - See all my reviews
There is a recipe in this book for just about every occasion. Most recipes are pretty simple with easily found ingredients. I've used several already (delicious!!) and would recommend this book to everyone who enjoys cooking in a dutch oven. If you don't have a dutch oven...I suggest you buy one so you don't miss out on one of the best pots you can have in your kitchen! All of the recipes are written for a 5 1/2 qt., so for those of you who are shopping for a good all around size, a 5 1/2 would be a good choice. Enjoy!

1.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful cover, but . . ., September 13, 2009
The photographer who created the cover should win a prize . . . It's beautiful . . . the recipes not so much. I have returned this book because the recipes were simply not my cup of tea. When I buy a new cookbook, the first thing I do is page through every page, attaching "flags" to those recipes that sound good to me. There were no flags when I finished going through this book! Although less classy looking, I would recommend instead "Cooking the Dutch Oven Way" by Woody Woodruff. .Cooking the Dutch Oven Way Although the cover gives the impression that it is meant strictly for outdoor cooking, the recipes all include oven temperatures and can be made in your kitchen. and what's more, the ingredients are simple items you'll find at your local grocery store or in your cupboard. You won't have to be heading for a specialty market to find what you need. . . and the recipes sound yummy. I can's wait to try them . . . and it won't be hard - I have almost every page flagged!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's ok.... but, September 9, 2010
Dutch Ovens are superior for their ability to transform common food into something exquisite. This book has a few recipes that exploit on that quality, but, for the most part, the recipes in this book could be made in any pot in the kitchen.
The ones I tried were very good, however I was hoping for more that would make the most out of what a Dutch Oven does best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Eats, January 10, 2007
R. Jackson (ANSONIA, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This cookbook is fantastic. Every recipe I make out of this cookbook gets all the rave and is always everbody's favorite. I highly recommend this cookbook if you need some yummy dutch oven meals!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A superbly illustrated and kitchen cook friendly compendium of highly recommended and easy to prepare recipes, March 4, 2007
Sharon Kramis is a former student and protege of the famed culinary chef and cookbook author James Beard. She has also been a food consultant for Anthony's Restaurants in the Pacific Northwest for 25 years. Julie Kramis Hearne has been a professional chef at the Herbfarm and studies at the Culinary Institute of America. Together, in "The Dutch Oven Cookbook", this mother and daughter team have collaborated to showcase a culinary wealth of savory recipes to be prepared in a 'Dutch Oven' - the original slow cooker. From Provencal Vegetable Soup with Pistou; Seafood Stew in Red Curry Sauce; Slow-Cooked Beef Short Ribs; and Roasted Mussels with Pinot Grigio; to Smothered Chicken with Mushrooms; Roasted Red Pears; Lemon Cake Pudding with Blueberries; and Simple Curried Lobster Chowder, "The Dutch Oven Cookbook" is a superbly illustrated and kitchen cook friendly compendium of highly recommended and easy to prepare recipes that will turn any ordinary meal into a gourmet dining occasion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cookbook that is useable, December 3, 2007
I looked a while for a Dutch oven cookbook. I have so many that are not user friendly, or the ingredients are too elaborate. This one has easy to make recipes taht taste good. I can't wait to try the next one. Highly recommend!

The Dutch Oven Cookbook: Recipes for the Best Pot in Your Kitchen
The Dutch Oven Cookbook: Recipes for the Best Pot in Your Kitchen by Sharon Kramis (Paperback - September 26, 2006)
$19.95 $14.71