Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 16, 2013
I've always been a worrier. And many people just tell me to stop, that it's silly. And, while intellectually I know that they're right (and coming from a good place), advice like that doesn't really help. Enter this book.

For people who are more analytical, this book is great. It gives practical "try this" exercises that you can implement day by day to help kick the worry habit. Cohen never makes you feel dumb for worrying. In fact, he explains how it's perfectly rational, given a certain outlook, but once you see that it's hurting you, not helping, you'll want to stop. His structure is logical and it's easy to follow (small exercises first, then you build). I've recommended this book to people like me who worry because they care, but want to stop.
on February 22, 2014
I'm a clinical psychologist and will start recommending this book to clients who are chronic worriers. I don't precisely agree with the author's conceptualization--I think people peersist in worrying because it gives them the illusion of control. So many of the dire things people worry about don't happen and it can feel like the worry warded it off. However, the author hit the nail on the head when he titled his book. One of the most significant irrational beliefs that promotes worry is the individual's idea that NOT worrying would be irresponsible. The book provides systematic exercises that seem very useful in eliminating the guilt associated with not worrying.
on January 7, 2015
When it comes to concepts like anxiety and depression, "worry" is a notion that sometimes gets lost in the shuffle. Though "The Dutiful Worrier" is not a book that completely changed my life, it did give me some interesting suggestions for improving myself and, perhaps most importantly, allowed me to see that other people struggle with some of the same things I do.

Basically, author Elliot Cohen, PhD, tackles the concept of chronic worrying here. For those who don't worry about things all that much, this probably seems a bit strange, but for those who do struggle with worry, it can get to be a really severe problem. More specifically, Cohen addresses this book to those who think that worrying is a chore that must be completed in order to prevent bad things from happening in their life. It is all about control (both trying to have it and trying to maintain it).

The problem, of course, is that control of life is impossible. Unfortunately, what really muddies the waters is that sometimes a bit of worry does lead to a solution to a problem that may or may not have already happened. Most of the time, though, worry only causes destructive effects in our life, causing us to live in a state of fear or indecisiveness.

In "The Dutiful Worrier", Cohen offers some logic-based solutions for teasing out the illogical thinking behind most chronic worrying. Most of the logic is sound and I came away with some good tidbits for my own personal use. I wish the writing had not been so dry and clinical, but Cohen really took the concept of "self-help" as seriously as possible.

Overall, I appreciated the guidance that this book gave me in some distinct areas of worrying that I've never found in any other books. Most importantly, though, it was actually just very comforting to know that other people struggle with some of these same issues.
on December 28, 2013
There is much well-founded insight in this work, gaining and sharing wisdom from rational emotive behavior therapy (REBT) and the author's own variety of it, logic based therapy (LBT). However, the book is profoundly repetitive and could probably be reduced by at least sixty percent with no loss of clarity or depth.
on December 15, 2012
There is always that voice, that worry, that prevents us from being happy, to enjoying the moment, here are some basic keys, to help us get rid of these worries, such us, when a love one is sick, and that voice keeps telling us we don't deserve to be happy or at peace until our love one is ok, it helps us reframe our worries, to, how can I be helpful? How can I help? and take some action, instead of just ruminating on that problem, that just doesn't help anyone.
on February 29, 2016
Really has helped me a lot so far. Humongous thank you to the author! Repeats itself a lot, but I'm aware that's necessary when I'm doing the EXACT same thing in my head!
on February 4, 2016
I found the book very interesting and was able to pick some good advices from it. I liked the book, I would recommend it.
on May 6, 2012
This book seems to have the right idea, I just started it and I like the information I am receiving.. I cant wait to see what the author has to say about the cognitive techniques. This book looks like it will be a success in the world of worry. Best of luck people.