Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Earring Style Book: Making Designer Earrings, Capturing Celebrity Style, and Getting the Look for Less
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on August 22, 2010
I have bought many many manyyyyyyy jewelry books over the years as well as magazines, dvds, etc. I am a wire wrapper - self taught who mainly makes things for friends and family (not as a living). I hate fluff books that seem to be fabulous but really don't deliver the kind of talent and designs I am looking for in order to grow as an artist. This book is WONDERFUL. I love the designs and the next level of technique that the author imparts to her audience. PLEASE PLEASE do more books like this. I am in awe! Each project is unique compared to the run of the mill earrings available in many books that I have. I have wanted to learn how to wrap small gemstones to wire in a tasteful design (earrings) and this book shows me how. Get this book. You won't be disappointed! Renee S.

ALSO...if you are unaware of this, Stephanie has this video (and others) on you tube: [...]
on August 17, 2010
The Earring Style Book is well done. Good pictures, nice directions; clear enough for even beginners to figure it out and execute the designs with a bit of practice. I liked that there was a separate chapter just to work through the basic frames that form the foundation for many of the styles; this enables readers to gain proficiency in a handful of basics, and then embellish the frames with an infinite, personalized variety of beads and stones. Definitely recommend this book.
on August 25, 2010
I've bought lots of jewellary and beading books (including those dedicated just to earrings) and this one is by far the best to date. In most of them I struggle to find half a dozen styles I would like to make. I plan on making most of the ones in this book. No money wasted on this one.

I particualrly like the way each design is shwon true to size in the corner of the page. Ranging from easy to harder designs it would also suit a beginner wire worker. I'll be going for the more complicated ones. Great photos and easy to follow instructions. A must for any jewellary maker's library.
on June 4, 2012
I love this book for inspiration. I refer to it often. I think the book is well organized, giving a concise overview of tools and supplies in the front, and also instructions on how to make all of the frames that every earring style in the book is based on. I love that. The pictures of the earrings are great too and there is often multiple pictures of a particular style using different stones or materials. There are even stars wearing the earrings - which adds a 'cool' factor to some of the items.

Where the book fails is in the actual instruction. I tried making 3 of the projects so far. When there are detailed pictures and instructions, sometimes the instructions describe that you should wrap the frame holding the front (good side) facing you, but the pictures show the back. It's pretty confusing! (they mean what the words say though - I'm not sure why the pictures show the back). As another reviewer mentioned, the wire and project size measurements are not always correct. For example, when I made the Rachael earrings, it called for 1.5 inches of wire to wrap the spiral to the frame. It just isn't enough to wrap as many times as the instructions called for. It was a minor problem, but still frustrating. I also made the 'Marlene' earrings which called for '50 links of gold-filled common chain'. She does have a guide that describes 'common chain' as 4.5 mm, but I think it probably would have been easier if she just described the size chain she used and how to adjust the project for a different size chain. These are minor issues though - and as long as you have some experience you should be able to work around these issues reasonably well.

The book gives an estimated time to make projects. Don't count on them. That is the amount of time it might take after you've made them a couple of times. I didn't like feeling like something should take 15-20 mins when it took me an hour.

And another, but this time positive thing. I goofed up making the frame for the spirals on the Rachael earrings and they didn't fit. It was FABULOUS that I just turned to the section that gave the frame instructions and there was a reference of all the other earrings that used that same frame. From there, I was able to use the frames that didn't fit into a different pair of earrings and make new frames slightly larger for the spirals. That made me sooo happy to be able to easily re-use those frames.

I added pictures of some of the earrings I made. They are lovely and I get compliments on them all the time. Also, the projects are easy to adapt to use different stones than the ones she recommends.
review image review image
on January 29, 2013
I want to give this book a 5 star, no, like a 100 star review, because it is by far one of the most inspiring beading books I own or have seen. I want to create almost everything in the book. The earrings I've made have gotten wonderful complements & offers to buy them. However, as I've attempted to do the designs, following the directions step by step, I have been driven to complete frustration & anger at the obviously inaccurate directions. Often is given the wrong amount of wire, the wrong size mandrels, missing instructions (like forgetting to tell you to hammer it, for example, which is easy to catch, still, why omit it?) I don't even know if the measurements of the final product are accurate (and from where are we measuring?) And as the book progresses, the step-by-step images go down to almost none. Why?! And, there are no images with a person actually making the earrings, I find that a big blunder, too as you lose out on technique. All they have are pictures of the step completed.
The book has become a great tease: "look at me! you paid for directions to make these wonderful earrings! But well, I'm not gonna tell you exactly how to do it. ha ha!" I want to think the best & say it must have been a mistake or typo or someone other than the supposed author wrote the instructions. But I've found other jewelry making books, while not as flagrant as this book, have similar issues. Is it some grand plan for designers to keep their designs from everyone? Like the chef not telling you the secret ingredient in the dish that makes it truly great? I don't know. I feel abused by this & angry that there has not been a reprint or even a webpage where I could go to get the correct instructions. Ultimately, if you are experienced, you could probably do these designs with less frustration than I, despite the incorrect instructions...I'm not a complete newbie to wirework, so I have eventually figured out on my own how to work out most of what I've tried. However, I buy a book or take a class to get educated & instructed on how to do a certain technique or style in a clear, accurate way...NOT to fumble around on my own, wasting time & wire & getting frustrated..When I design my own jewelry styles, I'm happy to fumble about..but I don't expect to do that when I'm supposedly being taught something & paid money for said instruction.
on November 21, 2010
I'll preface my review by saying that I have been doing wire work of my own for almost 10 years. I've moved up to doing torch work and filigree and other complex pieces, but wire is what I started with and wire is what I love. It's a beautiful medium to work with and produces virtually limitless results.

I have to say that I love everything about this book! While I didn't personally learn a lot of new techniques, anyone who hadn't been doing wire work for so long definitely would have. (I don't say this to sound snobby, but to be honest for other advanced level jewelry artists out there.) The techniques are simple and easy, and this is absolutely not a negative. It's the versatility of the solid and simple foundation you'll learn that makes these designs so great and so timeless. You'll find not just technique instruction, but a huge amount of inspiration to design for yourself. You can't help but feel inspired by what you see in this book. You can't help but come away with several ideas for originals of your own!

Use these ideas not just for earrings, but for pendants, bracelets (link pieces together!), and any other array of jewelry designs. The whole book is beautifully executed, and the pictures are clear and perfect.

I admire Stephanie SO much for being willing to share these techniques and to show what a beautiful variety of jewelry can be created from such humble beginnings. Like a really good cookie dough recipe, you take that beginning, add your own ingredients and spices, and your results will be both delicious and different from the results of someone else using the same starting recipe. After 10 years and learning many, many new skills, it's still all about the wire and beads for me. I love it!
on April 26, 2012
All the designs are lovely and inspirational. The only thing that irks me is that the measurements are off in the instructions. The books states that mandrels are sized by their diameters. When the instructions call for a 1/2" mandrel, it is obviously much smaller than needed to make the same size earring the book shows. For example, on p.100, the mandrel the book instructed for the larger loop was 1", but the stated finish size of the loop was 2" across. I think the author has mistaken radius with diameter. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have to hand write the correct measurements in the book.
on September 21, 2010
I have a ton of jewelry design books and magazines. This one is one of my favorites. I have been beading for about 5 years and am primarily a bead stringer. I dabble in wirework, but I am not very good. Having said that, this book is all about making earrings with wire, chains and beads. It explains the design techniques so well, that I was able to make several pairs of earrings from this book within the first 24 hours of receiving it. I don't remember the last time I had a jewelry design book and needed to make the projects right away. I have made about 5 so far, and am planning on trying about 20 + more when I find the time. I actually went out and bought more wire to make the earrings in this book. It is amazing, and I highly recommend to anyone.
on December 13, 2010
This is a beautiful book full of marvelously attractive designs for earrings made in various metals. Some earrings are embellished with gemstones or silk, and there's a lot of variety. The artist bases many of her designs on "frames" made from shaped and hammered wire, and then shows lots of ways to embellish these frames. She also uses premade chain as an element in several of her designs. The techniques she uses are adaptable to a wide range of metals and can be adapted to make other jewelry items, such as pendants and charms. I really enjoyed looking through the book and my fingers are itching to start making earrings based on these designs.
I do have some quibbles. First, I've been making jewelry for many years, and while I'm sure I can make everything in the book, this shouldn't be your first or second jewelry-making book. I think you should be thoroughly acquainted with wireworking before attempting some of these designs. Some of the basic instructions may not be sufficient for beginners. There are almost no step-by-step illustrations and some topics aren't explained or illustrated sufficiently if you don't already understand them. For example, the topic of opening and closing jump rings is not illustrated at all; there's a "Note" in small type on p. 39 and that's it. Second, some of these designs are really elementary. The "Marilyn" earrings are just a drop with a wrapped loop on an earwire. And those cool leaf earrings on the title page enticed me, but the instructions don't show you how to make the leaf bead -- they just call for "brass leaf or other pendant beads." Grrr.
Still, some of these designs are exquisite! I recommend this book for the somewhat-experienced wireworker.
on August 19, 2010
I work in the fashion industry as a wardrobe stylist and have tried many "how-to" books on jewelry as I am always trying to get my clients the newest and hottest pieces for their wardrobe. This book shows you step-by-step how to create some of today's must have styles! I was so excited to see instructions on how to make my favorite looks at home. It was also really cool to see these styles on some of Hollywood's heaviest hitters and then duplicate the styles in your own home. I have already bought several copies for the stylish friends on my Christmas list.