5.0 out of 5 stars Great for 2+
Published on March 22, 2009 by S. Warren

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bare-Bones Retelling of Easter for Toddlers
Easter is such a big cultural event that it can be a challenge for Christian parents to orient their kids to the holiday’s Christian meaning. This board book presents the events from Jesus’ Passion, Death and Resurrection at a preschooler’s level, showing that Jesus died and rose from the grave to save us and give us life.

A significant...
Published 22 months ago by Shanna A. Gonzalez

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for 2+, March 22, 2009
S. Warren (Santa Monica, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Easter Story (Paperback)
We bought this book for our two year old to understand and introduce the story of Easter and why we, as Christians, celebrate Easter. I originally thought I wanted "The Story of Easter" by the same author, but after reading the content in that book, I found it really wishy washy and fluffy - with statements like "this is why we go to church on Easter" and explaining why there are crosses on tops of churches and how spring is when we celebrate new life - without really getting around to new life in Christ (which I recognize is a big leap for the preschool set, but it seemed like the obvious next sentence, but it didn't appear and the page just fell flat). . . Relevant information, sure, but we go to church every week, not just on Easter and a lot of the content just seemed like filler, without getting into the Easter story.

THIS book, on the other hand, was just what I was looking for. In about one sentence per page (perfect for short attention spans) it talks about where Jesus lived, some of the miracles he did, how he chose 12 apostles and told him that he would die for their sins, how they didn't understand, that Jesus died (no scary images of the crucifixion, just Jesus walking up a hill with a cross) and they were sad, but that on the third day he rose again as he said he would and finishes up with how Jesus is alive today and if we believe in him, we will live with him too, basically.

This book is going in my son's Easter basket and I see him being interested in this particular book for the next two Easter's at least (and for future little ones in the future!). I really like this book and look forward to reviewing other board books by this author, but will be careful about which version I choose, as one seemed more Christian-oriented while the other seemed more commercially-oriented and light on the true reason for the season.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for young children., May 5, 2009
Rachel Himes (Pennsylvania USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Easter Story (Paperback)
I ordered this book to explain Easter to my 3 year old daughter. I felt that the content was very appropriate to the age. There was nothing graphic here to scare small children. For example, there is a picture of Jesus walking with the cross on his back, but no crucifixion scene.

The story gives a brief synopsis of who Jesus was and what He did as far as miracles and healings so the kids have a point of reference about the character in the story.

The amount of printed words on each page was very apprpriate for the age. My daughter wasn't anxious to get to the next page.

The artwork is beautiful. This book is very lavishly illustrated in full scale artwork, not just line drawings.

I would have liked to see a little more information given for 4+ year olds, but the reader can expound upon the story easily and add information as it is relevant. Overall, I was happy that my daughter developed a strong grasp of who Jesus is and started to recognize Him in other books and relate Him to dying eggs and hunting them.

I would highly recommend this for parents of young children.

5.0 out of 5 stars just right for preschoolers, June 25, 2008
This review is from: The Easter Story (Paperback)
This version of the Easter story is the best one I have read for the toddler/preschool age (2-4). Some are either too graphic and scary, meant for an older audience. Or they go the other way and are so soft that you can't really even tell what the story is about. You have to acknowledge the fact that Jesus died to understand the joy in his coming back. I have another version that refuses to use the word die and it makes it very hard to tell the story that way. This is beautiful, simple and on track.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bare-Bones Retelling of Easter for Toddlers, March 2, 2013
This review is from: The Easter Story (Board book)

A significant omission is any mention of human sinfulness, the reason humanity needs to be saved. And although the story is presented accurately, it isn’t all that exciting. Jesus’ death and resurrection to save us from sin is the core of Christianity; it’s the most momentous event in the history of the universe. You might expect even a preschooler’s book to convey some of the drama, suspense, and surprise the first disciples experienced. Some parents may prefer to read the same story from a good picture Bible instead.

All that said, however, it does present the Easter story events clearly, and could make a good supplement for hands-on activities such as salt dough Easter tombs or Resurrection Cookies.

5.0 out of 5 stars good Easter book, April 10, 2010
This review is from: The Easter Story (Paperback)
This is a great little Easter book. It is the story of Jesus & not scary & denomination-neutral. It sticks to the Bible story & has gorgeous (& not scary) pictures. I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for 2 yr olds., May 4, 2013
This review is from: The Easter Story (Paperback)
Great, simple introduction for kids too young for the Beginner's Bible. Gets the basics across without any scary words or imagery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Would Recommend, December 16, 2013
This review is from: The Easter Story (Paperback)
Well written! Short and to the point. My husband read to all the grandchildren at our Easter get together. I would recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect wording, April 23, 2013
This review is from: The Easter Story (Paperback)
i bought a few easter books for kids but this one is the best, the wording is not harsh but gets the point across and the pictures are cute.

5.0 out of 5 stars clear Christian message, April 22, 2013
This review is from: The Easter Story (Paperback)
the traditional Christian message that is easier for young ones to understand. Our kids read it over and over.
Nlh

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviews, April 21, 2013
This review is from: The Easter Story (Paperback)
Before purchasing this book for my 2 kindergarten grand daughters, I read previous reviews, found them to be positive so purchased the book based on them. The reviews proved to be true and these books are being enjoyed by both girls.

The Easter Story
The Easter Story by Patricia A. Pingry (Paperback - February 15, 2006)
$4.99 $4.34