Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 22, 2009
We bought this book for our two year old to understand and introduce the story of Easter and why we, as Christians, celebrate Easter. I originally thought I wanted "The Story of Easter" by the same author, but after reading the content in that book, I found it really wishy washy and fluffy - with statements like "this is why we go to church on Easter" and explaining why there are crosses on tops of churches and how spring is when we celebrate new life - without really getting around to new life in Christ (which I recognize is a big leap for the preschool set, but it seemed like the obvious next sentence, but it didn't appear and the page just fell flat). . . Relevant information, sure, but we go to church every week, not just on Easter and a lot of the content just seemed like filler, without getting into the Easter story.

THIS book, on the other hand, was just what I was looking for. In about one sentence per page (perfect for short attention spans) it talks about where Jesus lived, some of the miracles he did, how he chose 12 apostles and told him that he would die for their sins, how they didn't understand, that Jesus died (no scary images of the crucifixion, just Jesus walking up a hill with a cross) and they were sad, but that on the third day he rose again as he said he would and finishes up with how Jesus is alive today and if we believe in him, we will live with him too, basically.

This book is going in my son's Easter basket and I see him being interested in this particular book for the next two Easter's at least (and for future little ones in the future!). I really like this book and look forward to reviewing other board books by this author, but will be careful about which version I choose, as one seemed more Christian-oriented while the other seemed more commercially-oriented and light on the true reason for the season.
33 comments|188 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2009
I ordered this book to explain Easter to my 3 year old daughter. I felt that the content was very appropriate to the age. There was nothing graphic here to scare small children. For example, there is a picture of Jesus walking with the cross on his back, but no crucifixion scene.

The story gives a brief synopsis of who Jesus was and what He did as far as miracles and healings so the kids have a point of reference about the character in the story.

The amount of printed words on each page was very apprpriate for the age. My daughter wasn't anxious to get to the next page.

The artwork is beautiful. This book is very lavishly illustrated in full scale artwork, not just line drawings.

I would have liked to see a little more information given for 4+ year olds, but the reader can expound upon the story easily and add information as it is relevant. Overall, I was happy that my daughter developed a strong grasp of who Jesus is and started to recognize Him in other books and relate Him to dying eggs and hunting them.

I would highly recommend this for parents of young children.
on June 25, 2008
This version of the Easter story is the best one I have read for the toddler/preschool age (2-4). Some are either too graphic and scary, meant for an older audience. Or they go the other way and are so soft that you can't really even tell what the story is about. You have to acknowledge the fact that Jesus died to understand the joy in his coming back. I have another version that refuses to use the word die and it makes it very hard to tell the story that way. This is beautiful, simple and on track.
on April 10, 2010
This is a great little Easter book. It is the story of Jesus & not scary & denomination-neutral. It sticks to the Bible story & has gorgeous (& not scary) pictures. I highly recommend this book!
on March 12, 2013
I ordered this book prior to Easter to read to my 21 month old son. While he doesn't understand the complex concepts yet, he does like the book and wants me to read it to him over and over again. I'm glad to be able to introduce this topic to him at a young age and my hope is that as he gets older he will begin to understand what the story is about. The ideal age for this book is probably a bit older because it's not as engaging as most books geared towards young toddlers are. My son loves books and will sit and listen to almost any story, but I don't recommend it if you have a young toddler with a short attention span. I do think the author does a great job of explaining a very complex story in simple words so a young child can understand.
VINE VOICEon August 13, 2014
I teach second grade at a Lutheran school and I got this book so I could use it as part of my lesson about Easter, but now that my daughter is 3, I plan on reading it with her this upcoming Easter so that I can explain what Easter is really about, not just the Easter bunny, chocolates, and Easter baskets. I love that the author keeps the text short on each page and quickly summarizes the Easter story in a way that is understandable to children and is suitable for their attention spans. It touches on some miracles Jesus did, how he chose his disciples, that some people didn't want to hear about God, the events of Palm Sunday, the Last Supper, Jesus' arrest, and crucifixion. I like that it states Jesus was sent to die, but doesn't get into gory detail that would be frightening to children or graphic. It explains how Jesus rose on the third day and that who believes in Him has eternal life. Understand that it's a quick summary and is more intended for children 3-7 years old, so older children would probably like more detail than what is given here.

The illustrations are beautifully done in what looks like watercolor and have a lot of details in them. I highly recommend this book for parents to explain the real meaning of Easter in a summarized, kid friendly way to young children!
on March 2, 2013
Easter is such a big cultural event that it can be a challenge for Christian parents to orient their kids to the holiday’s Christian meaning. This board book presents the events from Jesus’ Passion, Death and Resurrection at a preschooler’s level, showing that Jesus died and rose from the grave to save us and give us life.

A significant omission is any mention of human sinfulness, the reason humanity needs to be saved. And although the story is presented accurately, it isn’t all that exciting. Jesus’ death and resurrection to save us from sin is the core of Christianity; it’s the most momentous event in the history of the universe. You might expect even a preschooler’s book to convey some of the drama, suspense, and surprise the first disciples experienced. Some parents may prefer to read the same story from a good picture Bible instead.

All that said, however, it does present the Easter story events clearly, and could make a good supplement for hands-on activities such as salt dough Easter tombs or Resurrection Cookies.
on April 21, 2013
Before purchasing this book for my 2 kindergarten grand daughters, I read previous reviews, found them to be positive so purchased the book based on them. The reviews proved to be true and these books are being enjoyed by both girls.
on March 28, 2013
Straight to the point. Not overdone. Gentle on the hard facts of what Easter really is all about. Perfect for our kids. They need to know, but they don't need to know everything at that young age. Safe reading. Thick book. Great job!
on April 6, 2014
My 2.5 year old daughter loves this book. We bought it so we could read it a lot leading up to Easter and really talk about what Easter really means. Simple language, cute pictures, accurate message. Some concepts are a little complex for a two year old but she stills loves it and will be able to learn more about Jesus from this book as she gets older. Overall, I am glad we were able to find a story that shares the true joy of Easter!