Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

Format: PaperbackChange

on March 22, 2009
We bought this book for our two year old to understand and introduce the story of Easter and why we, as Christians, celebrate Easter. I originally thought I wanted "The Story of Easter" by the same author, but after reading the content in that book, I found it really wishy washy and fluffy - with statements like "this is why we go to church on Easter" and explaining why there are crosses on tops of churches and how spring is when we celebrate new life - without really getting around to new life in Christ (which I recognize is a big leap for the preschool set, but it seemed like the obvious next sentence, but it didn't appear and the page just fell flat). . . Relevant information, sure, but we go to church every week, not just on Easter and a lot of the content just seemed like filler, without getting into the Easter story.

THIS book, on the other hand, was just what I was looking for. In about one sentence per page (perfect for short attention spans) it talks about where Jesus lived, some of the miracles he did, how he chose 12 apostles and told him that he would die for their sins, how they didn't understand, that Jesus died (no scary images of the crucifixion, just Jesus walking up a hill with a cross) and they were sad, but that on the third day he rose again as he said he would and finishes up with how Jesus is alive today and if we believe in him, we will live with him too, basically.

This book is going in my son's Easter basket and I see him being interested in this particular book for the next two Easter's at least (and for future little ones in the future!). I really like this book and look forward to reviewing other board books by this author, but will be careful about which version I choose, as one seemed more Christian-oriented while the other seemed more commercially-oriented and light on the true reason for the season.
33 comments154 of 155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2009
I ordered this book to explain Easter to my 3 year old daughter. I felt that the content was very appropriate to the age. There was nothing graphic here to scare small children. For example, there is a picture of Jesus walking with the cross on his back, but no crucifixion scene.

The story gives a brief synopsis of who Jesus was and what He did as far as miracles and healings so the kids have a point of reference about the character in the story.

The amount of printed words on each page was very apprpriate for the age. My daughter wasn't anxious to get to the next page.

The artwork is beautiful. This book is very lavishly illustrated in full scale artwork, not just line drawings.

I would have liked to see a little more information given for 4+ year olds, but the reader can expound upon the story easily and add information as it is relevant. Overall, I was happy that my daughter developed a strong grasp of who Jesus is and started to recognize Him in other books and relate Him to dying eggs and hunting them.

I would highly recommend this for parents of young children.
0Comment37 of 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 25, 2008
This version of the Easter story is the best one I have read for the toddler/preschool age (2-4). Some are either too graphic and scary, meant for an older audience. Or they go the other way and are so soft that you can't really even tell what the story is about. You have to acknowledge the fact that Jesus died to understand the joy in his coming back. I have another version that refuses to use the word die and it makes it very hard to tell the story that way. This is beautiful, simple and on track.
0Comment23 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2010
This is a great little Easter book. It is the story of Jesus & not scary & denomination-neutral. It sticks to the Bible story & has gorgeous (& not scary) pictures. I highly recommend this book!
on March 12, 2013
I ordered this book prior to Easter to read to my 21 month old son. While he doesn't understand the complex concepts yet, he does like the book and wants me to read it to him over and over again. I'm glad to be able to introduce this topic to him at a young age and my hope is that as he gets older he will begin to understand what the story is about. The ideal age for this book is probably a bit older because it's not as engaging as most books geared towards young toddlers are. My son loves books and will sit and listen to almost any story, but I don't recommend it if you have a young toddler with a short attention span. I do think the author does a great job of explaining a very complex story in simple words so a young child can understand.
on March 2, 2013
Easter is such a big cultural event that it can be a challenge for Christian parents to orient their kids to the holiday’s Christian meaning. This board book presents the events from Jesus’ Passion, Death and Resurrection at a preschooler’s level, showing that Jesus died and rose from the grave to save us and give us life.

A significant omission is any mention of human sinfulness, the reason humanity needs to be saved. And although the story is presented accurately, it isn’t all that exciting. Jesus’ death and resurrection to save us from sin is the core of Christianity; it’s the most momentous event in the history of the universe. You might expect even a preschooler’s book to convey some of the drama, suspense, and surprise the first disciples experienced. Some parents may prefer to read the same story from a good picture Bible instead.

All that said, however, it does present the Easter story events clearly, and could make a good supplement for hands-on activities such as salt dough Easter tombs or Resurrection Cookies.
0Comment9 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2013
Great, simple introduction for kids too young for the Beginner's Bible. Gets the basics across without any scary words or imagery.
on December 16, 2013
Well written! Short and to the point. My husband read to all the grandchildren at our Easter get together. I would recommend
on December 15, 2011
I had a hard time finding an Easter book and got tired of looking! Choose this one and have had mixed emotions about it. Easter is a tough concept to explain even as an adult so putting the story together in one or two sentences per page is even more difficult. I was going to say this book wasn't that great but after reading other comments, I need to give it more credit.

I do wish there were a way to string the story together better since this feels a bit disjointed to me. It does however do a nice job moving you through the milestones of the easter story very well without scary imagery.

Surprisingly, it tends to be one of my sons favorite books. He grabs it many nights all year long as a bedtime story [aging from 18m to 2+]. He really enjoys the illustrations. They are very positive and inviting. They did a good job of including interesting details to help young toddlers. The soldiers in the Garden are not frightening, and we even can talk about their armor without fear.
on April 9, 2012
We bought this book for our 4 month old daughter's Easter basket. It tells the story of Easter in a very basic childlike manner. If your looking for deep theological accuracy and ideology use your own bible, because that's not the purpose of this book. A very nice way to introduce young ones to the real reason we celebrate Easter. Very nice illustrations and a short story line to keep little ones engaged.