4.0 out of 5 stars Great basic nutrition advice
Published on October 18, 2007 by H. Grove (errantdreams)

2.0 out of 5 stars A difficult restrictive diet plan.
The Eat-Clean Diet: Fast Fat-Loss That Lasts Forever! sounded to me like a perfect diet book. Before I even saw the book I googled author Tosca Reno, who at 46 is a fitness model, writes a column for Oxygen magazine, has written several books, and looks fabulous. Reno's story is remarkable.

Born in Ontario, Reno was raised in a healthy eating home. Lots of...
Published on May 9, 2008 by Lynda Lippin

4.0 out of 5 stars Great basic nutrition advice, October 18, 2007
Most of this book's recommendations are familiar to me now that I've been reading and experimenting with healthy cookbooks for a while. It's a bit more stringent on the no-fat requirement than I'm used to, but it's all about good carbs, good fats, and combining carbs with lean protein to keep us feeling full. Where Agatston's South Beach Diet recommends three meals with careful snacking between, Ms. Reno replaces that with five or six small meals spaced throughout the day.

So what's new? What makes The Eat-Clean Diet a worthwhile addition to the stacks of diet books and healthy eating books already out there?

For one, it includes great lists of pantry goods, produce, etc. with which to fill your cupboards and refrigerator. It makes it easier to get into the swing of having enough yummy, healthy food around to keep you full and satisfied. For those people who don't yet understand all the information out there on processed sugars, saturated fats, etc., it introduces those concepts in nice, easy language aimed at your average person.

Tosca's cheerleading excitement and enthusiasm, while a bit jarring at first if you aren't into that sort of thing, is actually pretty infectious after a while, perhaps because it's tempered with helpful information as well as personal experience and doesn't feel empty.

About a third of the way into the book I realized why the book cover so closely resembles fad diet books. Tosca includes several stories of people approaching her wanting to know her "secret" to looking incredibly fit over 40 (lest you think she's one of those easily-skinny people, she lost the weight by getting fit and changing her eating habits just like the rest of us need to). These people inevitably believe there's some sort of magic pill, or a particular food they should eat or avoid (ie, a fad diet they should follow), and have difficulty believing the key is simply to eat the right foods.

Given her loathing of fad diets, I believe she deliberately wanted the book designed so that all these people who are looking for quick answers would pick up her book instead, and finally hear the things they really need to hear. After all, the people she most wants to reach are those who have been misled into thinking that fad diets are good.

One of the things that sets this book apart is the recipes. I admit that while her ideas are great, I found myself dubiously eying the pictured plates of raw veggies with no dressing and the like. I was afraid that her recipes would be similar---healthy, but lacking in any real appealing flavor.

Then we tried a recipe for parchment-baked fish that was absolutely delicious! The flavors came together perfectly in one of those recipes that's somehow more than the sum of its parts. (And I'm not the biggest fish fan in the world, particularly white-fleshed fish.) While this book doesn't include a huge number of recipes, it certainly gives you plenty of ideas, and it also includes two full-week menus from morning to night to get you started.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a diet, September 30, 2007
This book has changed my life!

I have lost 65 pounds in the last 2 years, but I hit a plateau about 6 months ago. My boyfriend is a personal trainer and heard about this book- he brought it home and things haven't been the same since!

We cleared out our kitchen and bought all fresh food- our refrigerator is now always full of fruit, veggies, and the many meals I make.

We ate low fat but, after reading this book, realized that "low fat" does not mean "healthy". The stuff we were eating was processed and the ingredient lists were FULL of unpronouceable words. We were eating crap! Low fat, but crap none the less!

Don't get me wrong- this is not easy at first. It's a little expensive at the beginning- getting pretty much all new food for the kitchen adds up, but once you have the basics the cost drops dramatically! We also noticed that we are saving a LOT of money by not eating out as much. We didn't realize how much we were spending on take-out!

I had a hard time at first 'cooking'. The stuff I made before was processed, instant stuff- frozen stir frys and such. It was quite an adjustment cooking real meals from scratch. My boyfriend works 2 jobs and I work LONG hours every day as a 911 operator. It was very difficult to find time to cook, but now its a routine and I don't even think of it as a chore. Come to find out... I LOVE to cook. Who knew?! I cook now on my days off- I make enough meals (usually 3-5 different dishes) to last a week and we take our little coolers full of food to work and eat throughout the day. It makes it really easy and takes the guesswork out of it. Now we never have the problem of "there's nothing to eat" at our house! We have also found that fresh, homemade food tastes a LOT better than what we used to eat. Both of us agree that the stuff we used to love just doesn't taste good anymore- it tastes fake. We don't even want to eat out like we used to because it doesn't taste right!

I am finally leaning out after my long plateau and my boyfriend (who had a fantastic physique anyway) is looking better than ever! I feel great, have more energy, and have not been sick ONCE since beginning this plan. This coming from the girl that used to catch EVERY bug that went around. I guess my immune system has been boosted by eating such fresh, healthy, nutrient dense food. It's been pretty nice! We do, however, have a "cheat day" once a week. Where before cheat day would be a pizza or something like that, now it basically means a dessert. Neither of us have any desire to gorge ourselves on greasy food. Our tastes have changed quite dramatically.

We are looking to get married and start a family within the next year. I am SO glad we made this change in our lives. I'll feel much better having a baby knowing that it will grow up with good, healthy eating habits. Hopefully he/she will be healthy and not have to deal with the weight issues that I did growing up. We will be eating like this forever- even after I make my weight goal. This really is not a "diet", it's a lifestyle. This is how people SHOULD be eating- the good stuff that God gave us, not man-made "convenience" food. This is not just for people that want to lose weight- it's for anyone that wants to make a positive change in their life and wants to be healthier.

I have read a lot of these reviews and a common theme among the mediocre-negative reviews is that it's "hard". Yes, it is... at first. If you stick it out for 2-3 weeks and force yourself to just make it work, you will find that it becomes a LOT easier. A *LOT* easier. You just have to stick with it and make a commitment- a commitment to yourself to be heatlhier and happier.

I can't recommend this book enough!

PS: I saw some people write that they want something to make them lose weight NOW. Well, this will help you to lose weight at a safe pace. Throw exercise in there and you're on your way. Remember, it took a LONG time to put the weight on, so you can't expect it to come off overnight (I am living proof). Fitness is a journey, not a destination.

5.0 out of 5 stars The last diet book you will ever need to read, May 12, 2007
I've pretty much read just about every diet book out there, and I like this one the best. No gimmicks, no calorie counting, just common sense. I've been told by numerous fitness trainers that diet accounts for 80-90% of how you body looks. I always thought there was no way they could be right - if I workout a lot I should be able to eat whatever I want. Wrong! This diet transformed the way my body looked. I finally lost those last 5-10 lbs that never seemed to budge no matter how much I exercised. I also have a lot more energy and don't seem to need as much sleep anymore. This book is not a diet though, it is a way of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars This diet works!, November 30, 2008
I normally don't post reviews, but after reading some of the naysaying posts, I had to comment. Folks, this diet works. It works like magic, just like the fitness pros say it does. I have tried SO many diets in the quest for ultimate health-vegan, macrobiotic, raw food, and this. This approach is the only one that stabilizes my hormones and blood sugar so well while not making me lose muscle tissue and slowing down my metabolism. In fact, at 44, when combining this diet approach with weight lifting 3 times a week and cardio kick boxing 3 times a week, my pudgy, tired, nearly perimenopausal body is getting strong, lean, toned and finally I feel like I did in my 20's. A few weeks ago a woman asked me if I was my 14 year old daughter's SISTER! And she wasn't just being silly...she was aghast when my daughter cracked up and said, "NO! She's my mom!" She thought it was the funniest thing in the world. But I thanked that woman and told her she made my whole year! This is not a quick fix diet, its a lifestyle that really gives you back your life. It takes some planning, but it is SO worth it. Nothing else has made me feel this good.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have if you are serious about losing weight the correct way, December 27, 2007
If you are looking for a quick fix, then this book is not for you. If you think you are a know it all, then this book is not for you. If you lack a open mind and discipline, then this book is not for you. However, if you are tired of being unhealthy, truely ready to change your life, and willing to apply the basic principals of eating cleaning then this book is a must have. Yes, there are several things in the book you may have heard before. I also purchase Oxygen every month and there is some duplication in the information provided, but this is because it really works. Besides, you can never hear too much of a good thing. Let's face it America is dangerously obese and could stand to hear about making healthy life style choices 24 hours a day. After I reading this book, I cleaned out my kitchen and made a fresh start. It has been 4 months and I have lost 40 pounds. I feel better than I have ever felt in my entire life. No, it wasn't easy at first. I will admit that reading about what I had to elimante from my diet was a little discouraging, but I made a choice. I decided if I couldn't live without sugars and bad fats then I needed to be prepared not live very long. After 4 months of eating cleaning, I can't imagine eating any other way. Greasy fatty foods no longer have any appeal to me. Watching individuals chow down on this type of poison only makes me feel sorry for them because they don't realize what they are doing to their bodies. Don't get me wrong I do treat myself one meal a week, but I will never go back to stuffing my face with processed or fast food every meal. Whenever I find myself discouraged I email Tosca and she always responds promptly with great advise and encouragement. Don't let the negative reviews of this book stop you. The ones who wrote those reviews were probably looking for some type of quick fix magic formula. Newsflash...there isn't one. If you are ready to make a difference start eating clean. Toscas does a great job of telling you how to do that. Happy reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eating Clean and loving it, October 5, 2007
Lucretia Mahoney (Salisbury, MD United States) - See all my reviews
Since reading this book and applying the principles to my life, I've lost 25 pounds this year without even trying. I eat more food than ever before. The food is easy to buy at any grocery store and I even cheat a little and the weight just falls off. Its really great, after 12 years of post-pregnancy fat I'm looking slim & trim again. It really stablized my blood sugar and keeps me running strong all day long. My husband, a confirmed meat-eater, even enjoys the recipes I cook out of this book and the new Eat Clean Cookbook. THANK YOU TOSCA FOR WRITING THIS BOOK!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not for everyone, September 28, 2007
T. Szefler (Blaine, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This book might be usefull for all of those who are new to dieting or who have no understanding of nutrition. Otherwise there is not much new in this book that you couldn't have read already in other books or in such magazines as 'Oxygen'. You can summerize the whole book by saying 'NO PROCESSED FOOD PLEASE'. For readers like myself this is just another title on a popular topic of dieting, which lacks on originality and depth. If you'd like to read something more original I suggest "Your Body Maintenance Handbook". You will find there great tips on proper food combination, and the chapter about obesity is probably almost all you need to know about dieting...

2.0 out of 5 stars A difficult restrictive diet plan., May 9, 2008

Born in Ontario, Reno was raised in a healthy eating home. Lots of whole grains, fruits, and vegetables - very little sugar and processed foods. She was fine through high school, but found in college that the more that was going on in her life the worse her eating habits became, and they stayed that way through the birth of her three daughters. Suddenly at 40 Reno weighed over 200 pounds and needed to get her life back under control. So she began Eating Clean and exercising, lost the weight, and as she puts it, "I got the body I thought only "Hard Bodies" could own."

This sounds good so far, and the claims on the book's cover sound even better: "Fast FAT LOSS that lasts forever!" "Never go hungry." "Eat the foods you LOVE!" And my personal favorite, "The ONLY sure way to FAST HEALTHY FAT LOSS!"

Laid out like a magazine with lots of bright color, sidebars, and photos, I found The Eat-Clean Diet very appealing until I really started reading. I am of the opinion that restrictive diets do not work, since most of us do not have the wherewithal to stick with such programs long term. I also believe that the only way to lose weight and keep it off is to eat what we love in reasonable portions with a bit more balance. In other words, eat less!

Reno's plan focuses on fresh produce, fresh whole grains, fresh lean protein, lots of exercise, and supplements. While the diet is certainly not bad for you, it is not new and most people will find it restrictive. When I hear "Eat the Foods you LOVE!" I think pizza and ice cream, not flax seed, millet, and All-Bran®. And here in the Caribbean I cannot always get these foods. For two weeks we had no brown rice in the store, so it wasn't even an option.

Reno exercises five or six days per week with a lot of aggressive weight training. Again, most people do not want to do this. Exercise needs to happen, but again one needs to meet people where they are and allow them to slowly gain a comfort level with the gym and exercising. Regarding supplements, she advises such unproven additions as creatine and MSM, which I question the need for.

This diet obviously worked for Tosca Reno and she is her own best testimonial. But do not be tricked into thinking this is an easy-to-handle non-restrictive diet plan. Expect to be hunting down groceries, carrying food with you just in case there is no clean food available, constantly ordering "off the menu" in restaurants, and spending a lot on supplements.

And trust me as a fitness professional, there are other ways to healthy weight loss!

5.0 out of 5 stars great lifestyle changer, April 22, 2007
I loved the book. I have followed the diet for 3 weeks and have lost 6 lbs. I have never felt better and healthier in my life. The improvments in my body are tremendous. The recipes are good and tasty too

3.0 out of 5 stars Eat Clean with a Big Grain of Salt, April 5, 2009
This book isn't without merit, but it's certainly no miracle either that will give you "fast fat loss that last forever," as the cover promises, unless you are very disciplined. If you could buy discipline, none of us would need diet books anymore.
Do you really not know that you should be eating less fat and exercising more? Of course you know that.
I am over 40 with two kids under the age of 8. Though I'm not bad for my age, I will never ever look like Tosca Reno. I exercise regularly, though not every day...most of us who aren't paid to look good need to choose between getting all the sleep and exercise we should get, and holding our family together.
What most of us in the real world need is an easy way to eat healthy. I don't have time to cook elaborate meals for myself that my kids aren't going to touch. (Many recipes in this book require fairly exotic ingredients and cooking times of an hour or more.) There are a few services around that provide this, but they are too costly for the average person.
Get this book from the library or buy it second-hand, and use it along with other resources to put together a diet that makes sense and is realistic for you.

The Eat-Clean Diet: Fast Fat-Loss that lasts Forever!
The Eat-Clean Diet: Fast Fat-Loss that lasts Forever! by Tosca Reno (Paperback - January 8, 2007)
Used & New from: $6.72