5.0 out of 5 stars Super helpful
This book finally says the things you know, but have been unable to put your finger on. It is easy to read, and funny too. Well, one would hope with a book about sit-coms.

As an actor, I found this helped me tremendously. It gave me insight into what to do, and how to do it. I can already see the results.

As a writer, I find it easier to make choices...
Published on January 20, 2006 by A. Rago

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful as a Reference, but Formulaic
This book was ok. It's a study in stock characters and lists 8 common types found in comedies. Relying too much on Sedita's archetypes stymied my creative process because it provided a formula to copy and paste a character. When I tried to write the brains, and the "lovable loser", they started to read just like other characters in other sitcoms and lacked that...
Published 12 days ago by Angela

5.0 out of 5 stars Super helpful, January 20, 2006
A. Rago (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Eight Characters of Comedy: Guide to Sitcom Acting And Writing (Paperback)

As a writer, I find it easier to make choices for my characters, now that I have a guideline for their intentions. Even the difficult part of starting the script is made easier when you just decide what character would go with the ones you already have.

Definitely a must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars actual insight for all types of comedy writing, November 22, 2009
In this book, you should bear in mind that the advice is all geared toward aspiring sitcom actors. I am not one, but I have burned through a good dozen books about humor writing, and this one turned out to be one of the most helpful. It nails down the principles of character-based comedy which are not really explained anywhere else, and so I still go back and refer to it when working on all kinds of things. This book has especially good insight for sketch writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, February 6, 2007
M. Swanson (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I mean, seriously. Someone FINALLY sat down and wrote a book that deconstructs all the different characters (there's 8, by the way) that appear in comedy, sitcoms specifically. Sedita manages to set forth a simple, concise, easy-to-read (AND understand) method to determining, from an acting standpoint, WHICH character you are (I'm, surprisingly, a "lovable loser" and not, as I had hoped and dreamed, a "womanizer"), and which specific traits are most often and commonly associated with PLAYING these characters ("hopeful" and "optimistic" are two big ones for the "lovable loser"). I can only begin to tell you how incredibly helpful this book has been in my audition preparation and my character creation. If you've ever thought about acting, especially in comedy, PICK UP THIS BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars A new way at looking at sitcoms!, January 13, 2006
Jim (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
Much more than a terrific guide for actors and writers looking to build a career in the sitcom world, this book celebrates everything that we love about sitcoms...the characters, the storylines, the jokes, the catch phrases, the addiction that keeps us tuning in week after week.

As an actor, this book has helped me focus on what casting directors want at sitcom auditions and what directors want on set. I now know what my comedic strengths are and where I should be focusing my energy. And the results have been tremendous! Scott does an an amazing job of channeling his years of industry experience and his charismatic teaching ability into each and every page, leaving every actor and writer who reads this book confident he or she WILL work in sitcoms.

But the book also attracts a much broader audience. After I finished reading it, I gave my copy to my dad (a steelworker with no interest in acting whatsoever) and he finished it in a few days, laughing out loud from time to time as he came across a show, a character or a bit of dialogue that struck his funny bone. That's where this book excels over other acting and writing books. It doesn't limit its audience. Rather, it allows anybody and everybody who loves sitcoms to come along for an exciting and hilarious ride!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the key to comedy!, February 1, 2007
Now I truly understand comedic timing! Sedita is a master at communicating the true technique of the comedic actor and how to apply it to your performance. I learned more from this book about acting than any other acting book I have read. He writes in simple straight forward terms that any actor can use to improve their performance and truly makes you respect the great comedic actors of our time. Thanks Scott!

5.0 out of 5 stars The comedians Bible, December 13, 2009
This book was awesome. I just happened to come across this book and thought "hmm, I wonder if this will answer any questions or give me any ideas on comedy?" The answer is "hell yes!!!" This book is just great. It is written with tons of detailed examples. It explains very clearly each of the 8 characters of comedy and how to act, write, even audition for these types of characters. If you have any desire to work in comedy you should buy this book. it will put you ahead of the crowd immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tool For Actors and Writers!, December 17, 2007
As an actress and a writer, I was thrilled that this book helped me out in both fields. You get great ideas and inspiration for characters to write, as well as great tips and tricks for acting out very specific characters. It's also fantastic how the author talks about "types" of actors and characters and knowing yourself well enough to know who you will pull off well. Which I think applies to more actors than we actors would like to admit... I found myself discovering things about myself, not only as an actress, but as a person, which can only help in my portrayal of certain characters! Great read!

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST HAVE GUIDE FOR ACTORS EVERYWHERE!!!!, November 15, 2005
This book really breaks down the world of sitcoms into something I could finally digest! I had no idea how tough comedy was until I tried it....but this book helped me find my niche in comedy. I'm the "logical smart one" and now I know what roles I can shine in!!! It's also a fun read for any non-actor sitcom lovers too!! Nothing but great things to say about this "must have" guide.....

4.0 out of 5 stars The Eight Characters of Comedy is a Must Read -- For Anyone!!!, January 17, 2006
Dora B. (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
Author Scott Sedita is inciteful, intelligent and a master of 'Sitcomology' His eight character breakdown is right on! Not only are these characters found in sitcoms, but you can find them in your family, your office and even in the White House! As a non-acting person, I found Sedita's book fun to read and, most importantly, he's given me a new way of looking at people. We are all characters and once you understand which character you are and what character those around you are, you find that you have a better understanding of that person which makes for a more improved relationship. Thank you, Scott, for helping me to understand life a little better!

Dora B.

5.0 out of 5 stars The EIght Character of Comedy is a Winner!, March 8, 2007
The "Eight Characters of Comedy" by Scott Sedita was absolutely fantastic! The book was incredibly informative to a writer and an actor, but also gives the audience/reader such an insight to how tv shows and film are created. It's a wonderful book. I recommend it to all!

The Eight Characters of Comedy: Guide to Sitcom Acting And Writing
The Eight Characters of Comedy: Guide to Sitcom Acting And Writing by Scott Sedita (Paperback - November 30, 2005)
Used & New from: $11.96