5.0 out of 5 stars Infinite Mental Energy at your fingertips

1.0 out of 5 stars Specious Claims, Entirely Unsubstantiated
Published on April 25, 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Infinite Mental Energy at your fingertips, May 18, 1999
lost_boy (London, England) - See all my reviews
Convinced by the reviews I had read in Amazon, I decided to 'take the plunge' and buy this book. I was not disappointed. The book contains a wealth of information for increasing your intellect and gaining access to the subconscious mind. I was hopeful, but at the same time somewhat cynical about techniques such as Freenoting, Photoreading and Socratic Learning, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt. I have put all three into effect, among others, and have learnt to trust my unconscious insights and to control my 'Editor'. I am a university student studying macroeconomics, and I was cramming for my exams weeks before. Usually I would have been anxious, but since I had become familiar with some of the methods in the book I felt confident in my ability to learn before the exam and to perform on the day. I felt relaxed (the book teaches you about that as well). My enthusiasm for study has increased greatly. It's wonderful to know that after a short period spent Photoreading you can go to bed, because the brain absorbs what you have learnt during sleep! And instead of tedious notetaking I make amusing comments and witty remarks about what I am reading, often scribbling on the text itself (in pencil). When reviewing, I made fun.
Photoreading is based on relaxed unconscious learning. It is so powerful that when reading through copious amounts of academic texts I merely flick through the pages, without focusing on the words on the page. eye with no conscious effort on my part. I kid you not. It took me a bit of time to realise this and I'm still learning to confine myself to reading only the bits that this intuition leads me to, but I'm getting there. subtle in their effects. If you consciously look out for your 'inner voice' or for subtle insights, the chances are that you won't find them. You've got to be relaxed and you've got to be patient and learn to not put your mind under pressure to perform. You will not be disappointed.
I wasn't Factor's instructions, I proceeded to Photoread my entire macroeconomics textbook several times over a number of weeks. The book is hundreds of pages long, yet each Photoreading session only took about 15 minutes. Soon, I found myself focusing on certain chapters, which I 'sensed' were the areas I needed to read. When I eventually sat down to learn macroeconomics the conventional way, I was getting insights before the author had confirmed them in the text, and new information felt familiar and comfortable. I was 'drawing it out' of my unconscious and creating something new. I was reaching fresh insights. I couldn't believe it. Needless to say, I now find macroeconomics rather enjoyable!
The Einstein Factor has become a part of my life. Not only do the techniques accelerate your mind, but the book's a good read as well. It's written in a clear manner with informative diagrams, is well paced in its progression and has snippets of intriguing information on topics ranging from quantum physics and the 'ideal realm' to Mozart and the evolution of man's intelligence through the ages (memetic evolution). It's a quality product; a pleasure to spend time with. I'm getting it for my sister as a birthday present. Trust me, you want to get it too. And y'know what? I haven't even been concentrating on Wenger's main technique, Image Streaming. I've only tried it a handful of times. And yet during this time I have started to dream (or rather, started to recall my dreams) during REM sleep. I have had brainwaves coming out of the blue, and I mean 'Eureka!' I have begun creative writing and consciously use all my senses in my day to day life. The potentials for further development with time and persistence are mind-boggling.
I didn't even realise how much this one book had impacted on my life until I sat down to write this review. That's how subtle the the event, because you'll be in flow and totally focused. You'll be in that state that's referred to as 'being in the zone', when anything is possible. Win Wenger has dubbed it 'creative fire'. And anyone can get there. It's certainly my goal.
Win Wenger and Richard Poe have put together a masterpiece. Buy this book and prepare yourself for a glad, rich and waiting for a genius like YOU.

4.0 out of 5 stars Techniques that work coupled with an interesting read., December 24, 2003
Recently there seems to be a lot of books being released on how to increase one's intelligence, this book seemed to be the only one that actually gave a method that worked. Image Streaming works, there's no doubt about it, but one thing that I cannot stress enough - if you want to become a genius or become more intelligent you need to put in the effort. The book suggests 15 minutes of Image Streaming a day but if you really want results you should practice for at least an hour. The reason is, according to the book and other studies* one's IQ raises 0.9 pts for every hour put in, if you put in 15 minutes a day your IQ will raise gradually of course but best results are achieved through more practice.
The reason this book is called the Einstein Factor is because of the notion of how Einstein developed his intelligence. Einstein as many people have heard was dyslectic. People who knew him as a child assumed he would never amount to anything. At the age of 16, while he was sitting in class, he thought about what it would be like to ride on a beam of light. He then pondered what would happen if he put a mirror in front of his face - would he see a reflection? This thought/idea is what apparently accelerated Einstein into his genius. Over the next 10 years Einstein contemplated this idea using methods apparently such as Image Streaming. He was heralded as a genius when he was 26 so the process wasn't overnight, but going from a dyslecsic/"retarded" state of mind to genius is quite a leap and that is what Dr. Wenger is trying to show the reader. When Einstein died in 1955 his brain was disected, researches found that he had a significantly larger number of neurotransmitters/neuroconnections, especially in what seemed to be an extremely well developed corpus callosum (the nerves that bind the hemispheres of the brain). Image Streaming is about arousing new areas of the brain and having the hemispheres of the brain work together.
The reason I gave this book 4 stars was because of the "photo reading" section of the book. I tried to go into it with an open mind, but the simple concept of reading at 32,000 words per minute is somewhat absurd, regardless of the claims that Dr. Wenger makes. He says that you're supposed to view the pages with your subconscious and the information will come to you when you need it. That's not very reassuring when one needs to ensure that he/she knows the information, for instance if someone has a test he/she needs to study for. If you are interested in speed reading I suggest picking up Power Reading - ISBN: 0960170618. It is an excellent book on how to accelerate one's reading capabilities.
Looking at Einstein as a model, it took Einstein 10 years to shift into a "genius" - testimonial to this method's validility based upon his contributions to physics, and impact on society. Intertwined with the tutorials, Dr. Wenger provides insight into some of the most recognized minds, detailing on how each person recognized their gift and utilized it to their advantage.
*Mind Accelerator (ISBN: 0973197102) is another book that seems to demonstrate the method of Image Streaming. More information can be found about this book at [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Yet Eureka, August 9, 1998
By A Customer
Win Wagner writes a book about Albert Einstein and his hypothesis on how to be an Einstein. In this book, he basis the intelligence of Einstein upon the number of axons and other nerve pathways as compared to normal humans. Basically, he believes that to become more intelligent, we must increase our number axons in our brain. To do this, he introduces his method called Image Streaming. In theory, his discoveries are profound, and revolutionary. Yet, in practice, they are hard to accomplish. Using Image Streaming to increase intelligence is difficult. First, you must have the will power to practice it day after day for a very long time. Secondly, his method is not a quick fix. It took Einstein at least 15 or 20 years of his life to grow that many more axons than the normal human. At 9, Eistein was still considered stupid. It wasn't until he was 26 before he was considered a genius. How can Image Streaming make you that much intelligent so quickly? Is it not true that the! methods taught in this book also require much time to implement? To use this book efficiently, one must devote sufficient time to produce an "Einstein effect." In reality, all geniuses already use, in one form or another (though they may not know it), what he calls "Image Streaming" since they were very young. Although he is probably correct to say the use of Image Streaming will improve your mind, it is more likely that if you wished to really become a genius, then you must begin using this technique since you was very young. Although Image Streaming is his major method described to improve the mind, he is very brilliant to incorporate other methods such as Free Noting, and Photoreading. Throughout this book, he brings up many very possible or intriguing theories about improving the mind. Yet, Free Noting cannot be supported by his claim to improve your notetaking. In fact, there has been scientific evidence to prove that activities such as Free Noting do! not improve your notetaking, and instead is worse than not! etaking. Also, the technique of Photoreading to read faster, invented by a different author, which Wagner agreeablely teaches is a difficult process to implement. It requires much practice have its full usefulness extended. The important thing to remember about this book is that it is not a quick fire way to improving the mind. Possibly a years worth of patience must be attended to his excercises before results truly pour in. His book is well written with numerous interesting facts. It isn't a bad idea just to read it for those interesting facts. In reality, it can be extremely useful to understand the concepts that he does bring up in this book for they are very insightful. If this book is read with other self-mind-help books, one can properly put together what is truly necessary to improve one's mind. Although it is quite difficult to accomplish and although I rate it 4 stars, comparared to other books of this nature, it is one of the best I have seen, if not the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can get smarter, October 19, 2001
I am compelled to write this review to aid potential buyers who are on the crux of making the decision on whether or not to purchase this book. It is not a panacea, but an excellent starting point in learning the procedures used by highly regarded, recorded "geniuses" in history.
As I have gone through and practiced some of the concepts such as "Image Streaming", "Freenoting" and "PhotoReading" I have found that indeed, my subconscious thoughts and memories have indeed started to surface when I need them most. This is from one week of practicing. I have also found my self-awareness and skills of observation have additionally been improved. This book is a guide that aids people in improving their overall mental performance and creativity, and experiencing the rise in confidence and self esteem. The melding of the "Socratic Method" of thought and the visualization techniques indeed has some great side effects. I find that my intuitive processes that always guided me to my right answer in any situation, are sharper, faster and have surfaced more often. I also understand why I have felt far less creative over the past number of years, and even why I was an average academic achiever regardless of the fact that I had scored over 140 on IQ tests as a child, and was always in the top 1% of children on accumulative learning tests. This is also a great book to own if you have, or are planning to have children in the near future and want your kids to be creative and happy, without using knowledge force feeding/funneling techniques pervasive in today's academic/learning environments. It will keep them from feeling the lack of self-esteem symptomatic of poor academic performance.
Please feel free to visit Win's site at [...] Know this: Much of what is in this book is on his site, so this is not some gimmicky cash grab by the authors. Win is very likely a well-intentioned person just trying to make a difference in peoples' lives. I firmly believe this.
Thanks!

1.0 out of 5 stars Specious Claims, Entirely Unsubstantiated, April 25, 2002
By A Customer
"Einstein Factor" by Dr. Win Wenger purports to raise I.Q. by 1 point per 80 minutes of "Image-Streaming", the main I.Q. building exercise prescribed herein. This claim is largely based on anecdotal reports and the "Reinert Studies" for which no crucial details of experimental design are given; nor have these "results" (Increased I.Q.) been replicated by credible researchers anywhere. As noted in the Washington Post, the erstwhile "professor" Charles Reinert is currently a practitioner of long distance healing therapy. Draw what conclusions you may from this.

Perhaps most damning to Dr.Wenger's hypothesis is the fact that current learning theories and present neuroscience make no allowance for such dramatic increases of I.Q. Save of course for children suffering from massive nutritional deficiency who are consequently well fed and cared for. Intelligence to a large extent is biologically determined, just like height. Roughly speaking, you get what you were born with. That is why it is so difficult to "increase" intelligence except in exceptional circumstances such as the one illustrated above.

I have personally "Image-Streamed" for the last 3 months as per the explicit directions stipulated in "Einstein Factor" for 12 to 15 minutes everyday with no appreciable difference in I.Q. as measured by a battery of standardized tests (SAT, LSAT, GMAT) or in any numinous aspects. And it is not as if I previously scored near the very top percentile of these exams so as to preclude any improvement on subsequent attempts. I have yet to take the Raven's Matrices though I have no reason to believe that the result will be any different. I simply have no evidence of any kind of advancement in any aspect of my "intelligence" via "Image-Streaming".

Aside from ballot box stuffing and confirmation bias I suspect that some of the superlative reviews are due to the fact that "Image-Streaming" does seemingly produce a few side effects, mainly the stirring up of old memories. I can personally attest to this myself. However this side effect does not equate to an improved memory but rather just the remembrance of random, long forgotten images. Interesting, but nothing to hang your hat on. Perhaps I am an outlier, so if most people undertaking Image-Streaming are indeed experiencing massive I.Q. surges it is then only a matter of time before mainstream scientists pick up on this and conduct legitimate studies. One would think this would have already happened, as a number of years have elapsed since "Einstein Factor" was published. But alas, no such events have transpired.

At any rate I find it entirely disingenuous to base the validity of "Image-Streaming" on anecdotal evidence and one flimsy pseudo-experiment, not even double-blind from what I can tell. As Carl Sagan stated, "dramatic claims call For dramatic evidence", here we have a dramatic claim with with not even an iota of evidence. I cannot recommend "Einstein Factor".

4.0 out of 5 stars The truth about Image Streaming, July 24, 2002
I once read a review on the Bowflex that said that the key to producing fantastic results with it was to NOT use it in the manner suggested by the vendor.
I don't know if that was true of the Bowflex (never bought one) but it is almost certainly true of The Einstein Factor. Win Wenger has discovered one of the most formidable methods for improving human intellegence and HE DOESN'T EVEN REALIZE WHY IT WORKS!
To understand what I'm saying you have to understand what image streaming is. Wenger thinks it's a way to unlock hidden mental processes buried within the unconscious that the average person has "learned" over the course of growing up to shut out of his awareness. This could be true, but I haven't made it work.
What I have experienced with image streaming is this:
Imagine a virtual reality device that allowed you to totally immerse yourself in any environment or any combination of environmental elements that you have ever experienced. Imagine that these environments involved ALL FIVE OF YOUR SENSES. Imagine that the reproduction of these environments was so complete, convincing, and compelling that you might even need to turn off the device from time to time in order to remind yourself of which was the real world (no this ain't the Matrix). Now imagine that you already carry around such a device with you all the time and all you need is the instruction booklet on how to turn it on.
The device does exist. It's your brain. And the instruction booklet also exists. It's "The Einsten Factor." Or rather it should have been "The Einstein Factor" and would have been "The Einstein Factor" had Wenger not been so focused on unlocking subconscious potentials as a road to genius. I'm not saying that those subconscious powers don't exist. I'm just saying that I believe the true power of image streaming lies not in hidden messages from the unconscious mind, but in the virtual reality capabilities of the your image stream. And in order to use them you have to do what Wenger specifically instructs you not to do, learn to control your image stream. To elaborate you have to learn to gain as much or as little control over your image stream as you wish at any given moment. Once you do will have in your possession the device of which I speak and you will also have the ability to still use image streaming in the way that Wenger suggests.
Although I haven't mastered it yet, I have gained a measure of control over my image stream. I can use it as Wenger suggests or I can drop an order into my image stream, which will then serve up what I have asked for in the most minute detail as if I were really experiencing it. I have image streamed places that I have been to and have had to open my eyes and sit up off the bed in order to remind myself that I wasn't really there. I have image streamed places no human being has been to and have had to quit a session of image streaming for fear of forgetting what was real and what was not. I have image streamed my living room and walked around it picking up various items WITH MY EYES CLOSED AND BLINDFOLDED functioning properly as if I had them open and unencumbered.
Think about that for a moment.
What does that mean? It means my image stream somehow reproduced in every detectable detail what I would have seen had I had my eyes. And I do mean every detectable detail in ALL FIVE SENSES.
What could you do with a device like that?
My only problem with this book is Wenger's obscession with supposed unconscious resources and the misnomer "image streaming."

5.0 out of 5 stars SOMEONE WHO TRIED IT AND PROVED THESE METHODS WORK!, February 5, 2009
After reading a whole bunch of reviews, I've decided to address some of the negative ones that either has 1) did not gain any results and 2) did not read the book and wrote a bad review.

I believe that this book works. I know it and tested it. My IQ before I read the book was 120, the average IQ score of a college student. However, after image streaming for a couple of months for 15-20 minutes and sometimes an hour, my IQ jumped to 135. Afterwards I stopped doing the exercises as I became too busy with my school work. After a year so however, I tried to image stream again but this time I didn't get any results.

I was very disappointed and I did not know whether I reached my peak or the exercises was just a hoax. I tried for a few weeks, but I couldn't muster any random images in my brain and gave up on the whole Image Streaming idea. I didn't pick up this book for a while until I decided to make some changes in my life.

After reading many performance psychology books I decided to revisit image streaming to see if it would help me get a big IQ boost again. To my surprise it started working again and I was receiving steady results! Although I didn't check my IQ scores I really felt my mental capacity to absorb and learn grew. I realized there are a few things you must do in order to gain the benefits of image streaming:

1) SLEEP EARLY!!!! As a college student I did not do this very often and when I tried to perform image streaming before I go to sleep, my mind was too tired to focus on any random images that came up or it wouldn't allow me make any images in random.

2) Manage your stress levels!!! Stress can affect your intelligence greatly! Being stressed actually brings your IQ down, therefore maintaining some kind of physical exercise routine, sleeping on time, and maintaining a balanced life is important to combat stress.

I hope my review helps any readers that have any hesitations of getting this book.

Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A self-help book that's not a sham!, October 21, 2000
Tyro (Brooklyn, New York USA) - See all my reviews
Win Wenger's book is very clearly written and, unlike most books on "how to use the power of your subconscious mind", this one provides actual exercises you can do - not vague claims and advice. As to whether image streaming makes you smarter, I don't know, but it does open up access to an endless source of ideas and insights. This practice is particularly useful for creative people. It's not unlike freewriting - only it's spoken and you use a tape recorder. This book is SO worth the money, because Wenger includes so many concisely presented ideas - enough for several books. (The reviews on this page claiming that image streaming can make you "lose control" strike me as strange. It should IMPROVE your sense of control and calm.)

5.0 out of 5 stars For anyone who loves to learn, March 30, 2002
John A Storey (Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book describes itself as a proven new method for increasing your intelligence. There have certainly been many years of experimentation, research and teaching behind the methods presented. If you like learning, then you'll probably love a book about learning, and this is no disappointment: plenty of practical techniques to try out and a guarantee, I would say, that even if your intelligence doesn't change, your intuition will definitely have improved for practising these methods.
Central to the book is the technique of "image streaming". The main idea behind this is that we all have a constant stream of images flowing out from our subconscious minds, but traditional education and upbringing has generally taught us to screen out these images. So successful has our screening become, many of us believe that we don't have such images at all, and cannot "visualise" with eyes closed. The authors however reassure us that everybody has these images. Image streaming is the way to kick-start and develop our awareness of them. One particularly effective part of this technique is to use your own voice as a kind of feedback loop to reinforce and solidify the process of visualisation. I was surprised at how well a rich, sensory, and vocal description added to the vividness of my images.
Having laid the foundations with this basic technique, it can them be put to practical use is all sorts of ways: re-examining your own past, solving problems, answering questions intuitively for yourself and others. The research behind the book shows in the scientific theorising behind these and other techniques although, very often, the authors have to conclude that they don't really know why these intuitive techniques work; they just do!
There are plenty more goodies to try too: borrowing identities from your greatest heroes, modelling musical genius, photoreading at lightening speed, freenoting, achieving flow, and boosting brain power through oxygenation.
This book has an upbeat energetic style, which is probably a benefit of being co-written. It gave me a lot of new ideas, and I feel confident that the benefits will continue well beyond the simple enjoyment of reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars New Age Brainstorming, July 7, 2001
Erdos (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Wenger and Poe's book The Einstein Factor is an ideal primer on brainstorming both individually and in a group setting.
The authors contend that the primary distinction between you and the geniuses of yore (Einstein, Edison, Rabelais, etc.) is their "combinatorial play" of other senses and thoughts and their openness to ideas. Through the technique of Image Streaming, the authors contend that normal folks can achieve similar results. In Image Streaming, you close you eyes and describe (aloud) the first image that you see without repressing any images.
Sound like "new age" brainstorming to you? Perhaps, but the technique is a valid alternative to free association (writing down all the ideas that one comes up with and linking ideas and expanding on others). In addition to Image Streaming, the authors also suggest writing down your ideas citing the Mankato nuns of Mankato, Minnesota who lived longer lives because of the increased neural connections formed when writing.
There are other valuable techniques contained in the text, but most are centered around the Image Streaming technique. If you are interested in alternative brainstorming techniques, this is the book for you. If you are looking for more general texts on improving one's mental abilities I suggest Scott Witt's How to Be Twice as Smart.
Paul Erdos

The Einstein Factor
The Einstein Factor by Richard Poe (Audio CD - September 1, 2002)
$39.95 $35.96