5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Believe the Bad Reviews!
Published on December 27, 2009 by Elder Statesman Doctor

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the description. You will be disappointed!
Published on May 24, 2007 by Gadget Girl

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the description. You will be disappointed!, May 24, 2007
This review is from: The Elaine Petrone Method - Stop the Clock. DVD & Ball (DVD)
This DVD is apparently much like the last one Ms. Petrone put out, so I encourage you to read those reviews since there are not many on this product yet. I bought the Miracle Ball book last year and while I found that the method does seem to give results, I never could bring myself to do it enough to make a difference. I thought, if only there was a DVD where Elaine goes through each of the movements illustrated in the book and repeats them as the books says, then I could do them with her and would use the DVD quite often. Because the description lists all the problems her method can alleviate, you would think this is what the DVD would provide.

But no, Elaine talks about how she developed her method, and uses two people to show how she works with patients I guess. Since I don't live anywhere near her, this is not very useful to me. She spends a lot of time on the breathing, which is great for the first time, but after that is pretty pointless. She goes through several repetitions of 'elbow on the ball', does one 'ball on the neck' and one 'ball under the back' and that's it. That's all you get. There isn't even a book included listing all the other positions, so if you don't own the book already, the DVD is pretty much useless. I suppose it was a little helpful to do the one exercise and see how she focuses on breathing, but the book is pretty good about telling you that as well. All in all, I have another rubber ball for my $19.99 and will probably never watch this DVD again. If I could I would return it as the product is NOT what I expected considering the description, and really is not useful for anyone who actually wants to use this method since it doesn't really show it to you. Basically, it is a rip-off and I'm doubtful I will buy anything else by Elaine Petrone now, whether her method is excellent or not. If you are fastidious and can make yourself do the exercises, I would recommend getting the book and the two little balls, which Amazon carries for under $13.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Believe the Bad Reviews!, December 27, 2009
I'm a physician who treats lots of people with low back pain (and lots of other pains), This system works. It's probably not a 100% cure all, as no one system can be. However, the problem with the other reviewers (who gave this only one star) is they apparently did not understand that the DVD is NOT supposed to be something you watch dozens of times and participate with Elaine in doing. It is not intended to be an "exercise DVD" wherein you would do the same thing over & over at the same pace along with everyone else. This DVD instructs you to do the "non-exercises" at YOUR OWN PACE / TIMING, therefore it would be counter-productive to attempt to do them at the same pace as everyone else in a class. This is all supposed to be INDIVIDUALIZED! It is an educational DVD that you should watch at least once, possibly as many as 5 or 6 times, but it is for you to LEARN. After you have leaned how to use the ball(s), you should USE the ball, not participate in a class, nor watch the DVD over & over.

Ms. Petrone actually puts a lot of info into the DVD, but if you approach it as a class to participate in, you will be disappointed. This DVD is more like an advanced Yoga seminar, wherein you are being told how to breathe, how to hold several different postures, how to relax etc. Once you have learned them, then you go home to incorporate this new info into your life or your ongoing yoga practice. It probably would be a good idea to watch this more than once, as there is actually quite a bit of info crammed into the DVD, and parts of it that at first seem overly repetitive and boring, are actually her stating something similar to what she already said before, but with a subtle difference based on a new observation by the person asking the question or commenting on how his or her body now feels different.

Part of the lower rating reviews, I think was due to the fact that these new "exercises" are now left up TO YOU to perform them on your own. So, since you have to provide your own discipline and motivation, maybe those reviewers didn't get much out of this because they never actually practiced it for an extended period of time. If you stick with it, I'm confident you'll get good results. (And of course, if you aren't in much pain, you may not be able to motivate yourself, but then maybe you don't really need to if you're not in real pain!?) Best Wishes to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth the work, May 1, 2008
Shannon (Layton, UT, United States) - See all my reviews
I have had 4 back surgeries and 12 different physical therapists. I agree that if you are not diligent you will not get the benefits intended from this. I can say that even not diligent it has helped me with acute pain. The dvd is not produced well but the information is worth sifting through. You determine what you want from the program from what you put in. There is no easy cure. It requires 1 hour a day to really improve. However there is much less sweat than a work out program for the same amount of time. Even not putting in the hours I have found temporary relief using it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, August 13, 2007
I was led to believe that buying both The Elaine Petrone Method and Stop the Clock was what most people do. It is totally unnecessary to buy both. Both DVDs are basically the same, and even have the same people in them. Besides that, there should be some sort of routine included that you can do without having to go back and listen to these loonnnng, booorrrriiinnngggg, DVDs. Her method may work, but frankly, I'm too bored to go back and try again. I wish I had used that $40 to buy books instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product. Not the best DVD, February 25, 2010
First off, Elaine's story is great. It's just another example of someone who has the FOCUS and determination to take responsibility for their health. Secondly, she took what she was passionate about and made it hers.

I was a bit surprised by the lower rating reviews. Keep in mind you need to be responsible for your body. So if you've been abusing it for years. Poor eating, no exercise then it will take time to heal itself.

What I find interesting in Elaine's DVD is at times she can come of as she invented this method. In a way she did but the idea of breathing, stretching and what's not the most obvious is focus attention this is all ancient stuff in modern terms. Yoga. Energy healing work. (I've studied NLP, Hypnosis, Hatha Yoga, Kundalini Yoga, Reiki, Psychology and more).

This is a great method. I love the balls. One of the easiest and very affective ways to stretch. Especially if you have injuries. And growing up doing lots of sports I was one of those knuckle heads that was advertly against stretching and now in my 30's I'm feelings its affects. Being a working class girl I don't have time to get to the gym or yoga studio sometimes. So I use these balls as a great way to stretch and I've discovered you can do self massage. Just lie on the balls and rotate your arms. After about a month of doing it (just 10 mins in front of the t.v.) I felt healthier and more flexible. Her concepts are sound. But explaining it on the DVD I feel Ms. Petrone did not execute it properly.

But I think it's important that you probably get some other books that help you with the mind body connection. Even books on meditation. It's about focus and breathe in my opinion. I've just studied enough to know what my body can handle and what it can't.

I've done enough yoga, martials and I was an athlete for years to understand the basic principles behind the balls. I love the idea of gravity helping you stretch. For goodness sake the only work you do is lie on them and breathe. But like a lot of negative reviews I read (about any fitness dvd) most of the folks don't want to do the work. It takes years to understand this stuff. These balls are great because it's about gentle stretching. That's my take on it.

However, fitness gurus like to claim their stuff is the next best thing since sliced bread. I take it with a grain of salt. So 3 stars for the DVD but the method and the balls I give 5. She's doing the world a good service here. I focus on the results it can get me. There are far too many ways for you to heal your body. Just pick one and stick to it and ignore your excuses. Remember don't push yourself too hard where it is painful but just enough of mild discomfort. I bring these balls to work and travel. It's a great portable gym. Give it 90 days. 10 - 20 mins of easy stretching? You can't do that for yourself?! Come on now, you deserve to feel better. Like Nike says, "Just Do It"

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money at any price, January 21, 2008
Agolie (Alabama, USA) - See all my reviews
Looking at this product I thought it would offer great and different relaxation techniques,...wrong. Throughout almost the entire dvd Petrone talked and talked and talked. She talked about the "method" (while sitting still in a chair looking at a camera), she talked to actors about the "method" (who were all sitting still in chairs as if waiting for tea), and she talked about her injury. By the time Petrone finally got around to showing the "method" I wanted to throw this kit away. The healing techniques only lasted about 10 min., each lasting 3-5 min. on their own while Petrone talked and walked around the relaxing actors with the camera following her for the most part.

Don't waste your money just get a yoga dvd/kit or something. And if you want something that doesn't require you bending over backwards and hitting the back of your head on your heels... try the Just My Size Yoga dvd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, May 22, 2007
I bought this product because I'm not able to do yoga anymore due to a knee injury. This product allows me to feel the elongation, stretching & relation that equal my result from yoga without putting weight on my knee. I use this product everyday along with The Miracle Ball Method.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just try it!, February 20, 2010
I am always looking for ways to help illeviate discomfort with my body as I have very overactive nerves & a slipped disc in my neck. I was also looking for a way to rid myself of the nodules that I encounter all over my body from time to time. I got this program because I have already been using tennis balls & thought it might even feel better. Different feeling, but I still love this program . I felt her concept was mostly what I had been trying to do, but she probably had alot better ideas of how to do it & a better way to do it. She does! Elaine's dvd is invaluable to me, as she explains and shows you how to breathe properly while doing the exercises. This is not suppose to be an entertaining video, so the people who say that this is 'boring', must not really need it & should leave it for others like me to enjoy. Elaine says to basically feel the weight of your body on the ball, rather than try to balance on it, 'give in to the gravity'. It lengthens muscles , she does show you three of the most important places that tighten for most people, putting the ball behind the neck, in back of the crook of the arm, & under the pelvis. She then shows you how it's done & most importantly how to breathe in that position. I did find that when the two people who were showing what she wants us to do, when they made the 'S' sound, it was long and drawn out and at the same sound level as when Elaine was talking. No big deal for most, but made it a bit distracting for me to listen & I had to replay it a few times to be able to let what she said 'sink in' . It is something that you only play once or twice - or a refresher to how the program is suppose to be,, but well worth having it. Actually, I bought this dvd and it didn't even have the ball! I'm looking forward to getting the book that I ordered on Amazon, so it'll show me even more ideas to relax my muscles. I think this dvd is invaluable, thanks Elaine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for upper back tension and whole body posture, February 8, 2010
B Mistele (Grayslake, IL USA) - See all my reviews
I am 55 yrs old and have chronic stress and upper back/neck pain. I found this product to be amazing. I took the DVD out of the library and tried it with a soft weight lifting ball I had on hand. After just one session, the tension and pain in my upper back and neck disappeared. I found myself standing in a very different way, with much more awareness of my body.

I used to study dance and I think being used to making a concious connection with your body helps. This program is for people who like to work on a deep level with their bodies. It helps you reconnect with your body, breathing, and posture to transform the poor posture habits that most of us have adopted (think computer!). It is not a traditional workout tape. It's a body work tape. Anyone of any age and physical ability can use the tape, unless you have an injury. Then I would check with your doctor or physical therapist (it might actually help you more!).

With just a little patience and focus, I found the change in my body profound. I recommended it to my whole family!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Results, November 2, 2010
I've had regular problems with my neck since an accident in 1991. Usually when it goes out of kilter, I make an appointment to see a chiropractor. I felt my neck do it's out-of-whack thing two weeks ago but was so busy with life events and work that I couldn't get to my chiropractor. I was having tightness and couldn't turn my head very far to the right.

Received the Stop the Clock, DVD & Ball package on Saturday, (10/30/10), and followed it through the program. I was absolutely Amazed! I felt about 80% better and had more ease of movement in my neck. The next morning I thought I'll go through it again. Before I even started the DVD, I laid down on the floor and just turned my neck to the right and it moved all the way. Even after the session of the day before, my body was continuing to realign because of the steps of Elaine's method.

I highly recommend her product to anyone needing some therapy and relief from tension or pain in the neck and shoulders.

The Elaine Petrone Method - Stop the Clock. DVD & Ball