5.0 out of 5 stars Something that actually lives up to its hype!
Okay, Okay, I'll admit it; I was reconsidering the wisdom of my Xbox purchase. I watched GTA3 (and played it), and shook my head, saying "why not us?" Well hallelujah, we've been saved!
Published on June 17, 2002 by Michael H Cameron

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent game with some significant flaws
When I first started playing this game, I was completely absorbed by the extremely open ended game-play. The numerous options with regards to character creation/advancement, quest selection, and general exploration was fascinating. I was overwhelmed by my choices and had a couple of "false starts" before I finally decided on a custom character class that would suit my...
Published on August 12, 2002 by Eric Litwin

5.0 out of 5 stars Something that actually lives up to its hype!, June 17, 2002
Michael H Cameron (Hyde Park, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Video Game)
If you've ever played a pen-and-paper RPG, you'll have an inkling about the possibilities in this game. Your character can be whomever, whatever, however you'd like him/her to be. There are four human races alone, as well as a feline race, a reptilian race, orc, and three elven races. There are dozens of character classes, including BattleMage, Assassin, Monk, Rogue, Scout, Barbarian, and Witchhunter, and a bunch more; but the best part is that you can create your OWN custom character class with its own assorted disciplines! There are also a ton of possibilities for the appearance of each gender of each race.
Once your character has been designed and you get out of the Customs Office, you are immersed in a HUGE, complex world of alliances, rivalries, and politics. You can join a number of different organizations and affiliations, make friends or enemies everywhere.
The fighting in this game is cool, easy when you're fighting single little creatures like cave rats, but challenging when you're fighting talented folks in armor while trying to cast spells and read scrolls while hacking, slashing, and blocking. And multiple humanoid enemies in armor will realistically kick your butt, unless you've been around a long time and improved your fighting abilities.
This is perhaps the best thing about this game; your advancement is not based on "XP", some accumulation of wealth and creatures killed. It is realistic; the more you practice something, the better you get at it. If you spend all of your time hacking at creatures in the wilderness, your Strength and Agility attributes and your weapon skill (ShortBlade, Axe, Long Blade, etc.) will benefit, but your Intelligence, & Personality attributes and Mercantile, Speechcraft, Security skills etc. will stay where they are. Also, your advancement in levels is customized to your character class: each class has its own mix of emphasis amongst the skills, declaring some Major, some Minor, and some Miscellaneous.
The graphics in this game are phenomenal (mostly--the faces are somewhat blocky). Trees, hills, items, and rooms look great; weather effects are fantastic. The effect most folks will appreciate, however, is the water. The water in this game looks so darn real that it's almost UNDERwhelming. You look at it and say "well, I've seen that before." The catch is, the place you've seen it before is REAL LIFE! It's amazing, and that BEFORE rain starts to fall. Oh, the sounds are cool, too -- I hope you're not afraid of thunder!
This is defnitely the MOST complex and MOST open-ended game I've ever heard, seen, read about, or played. I don't mean to sound like a job interview, but it's only weakness is that it's SO open-ended. Players will find themselves accepting quest after quest before they finish their first few, and trying to flip through the character's journal to remember who wanted what! Another way this game is like life.
Go get this game, you'll never see the light of day again. lol
Mike
P.S. If you've got the time, spend all of your travelling alternating between swimming/jumping until you get fatigued, then sneaking. Like all of them, the more you use these skills, the better you get at them!

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Virtual World, November 3, 2001
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Video Game)
The Elder Scrolls 3 continues the Elder Scrolls tradition of providing a true fantasy virtual world for you to create an alternate life in. Set in the exotic island of Vvarvendell, the developers have truly defined an entire culture, with such nuances as clothing, housing styles, food, and architecture being unique to each game region. You can do anything you want, from running a mercantile business to being a mass murderer. Be a powerful mage living high in your own tower, or be a shadowy thief jumping across rooftops at night. Create your own spells from scratch, concoct mysterious potions, enchant your own weapons. It's totally up to you. In addition to all this, Morrowind ships with the easiest-to-use game editor to date, allowing you to create your own game content such as quests, characters, items, spells, and sharing them over the net with your friends. You can't go wrong with Morrowind!

4.0 out of 5 stars Know what you're getting into., June 12, 2002
Seppo Helava (Oakland, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Video Game)
The character creation system is one of the first things you will encounter in Morrowind, and it gives a glimpse at how open-ended and complex a game this is. Be sure to take time creating a character, because this character will be with you for hundreds of hours.
In my first attempt, I used one of the pre-packaged character classes. While this gave me a good base character, the problem was that I had a very specific idea of how I wanted to play this game, and the character that I'd created didn't perfectly fit this style of play. As a result, even in the beginning, the game was extremely difficult, and frustrating. Advancing levels was slow, combat was overly challenging, and I spent a good deal of time staring at loading screens rather than playing the game.
After reading a little about the character abilities and descriptions, I realized that I was missing certain features that I would need, to play the game the way I had intended (as a Rogue-Mage). By starting over again, I was able to use the knowledge I'd gained to create a new, better-suited character. The game changed dramatically.
With this new character, levelling up was easier, I could do all the things that I wanted to do, and see the character improving at them. This changed the dynamics of the game completely. I could now explore this huge world with less fear of constant death, I could advance in the guilds I'd chosen to join, because my abilities were better suited.
While Morrowind has some in-game problems (framerate jitters, an abundance of "fetch" quests), by far the biggest problem is the lack of documentation, and a lack of direction for novice players. If you know what you're getting into is a huge, open-ended role playing game, in which you can do virtually anything, from slaughter entire villages, to spend all day making healing potions, or bribing the local townsfolk, then Morrowind will *definitely* satisfy.
But be sure this is what you want, or you'll quickly find yourself in over your head.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've actually played the XBOX version of Morrowind...., June 8, 2002
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Video Game)
..and it's pretty early to tell, but it looks right now like a real winner. So far, I have built my character, wandered through two towns, received some instructions from some friends, joined a guild, helped a lady clear some cave rats out of her storeroom and presently I'm trying to catch some egg poachers.
The minds behind this game have undeniably done a great job of creating this game world. It is absolutely all-inclusive. The Xbox controller is used very well. Movement and camera feel like Halo when you are in first person. I prefer first person because I'm so used to the Halo control scheme. You can make the camera look at yourself if you want to admire a new piece of armor you've bought.
The graphics look real good, but not great. The human animation seems choppy and not motion captured. Creature animation looks fine though.
The combat system looks to be on the weak side with one attack button and no way to replenish health without leaving the fight and accessing the menu system. Would have been better if the Y button could trigger healing potions as well as spells.
Overall, the game looks to have a lot of promise with enormous amounts of nonlinear play and a ton of travel. A hard copy map of the island comes with the game and just looking at all the cities and points of interest is daunting.
People more used to the japanese Final Fantasy RPGs where you have groups doing turn based combat may find this a very different flavor of RPG.
This sort of RPG is much deeper, more challenging and maybe...more satisfying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, August 4, 2002
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Video Game)
Finally, what Xbox gamers have been waiting for. Now, before I start the review, I'm just gonna say that I've have this game for two months, and I still play it 3+ hours a day (when I can).
The island your on is HUGE! I bet it would take a day (in real time) just walk a strait line from one end of the island, to the other. And, you can do anything you want! Steal anything, kill anything, and buy anything! You have the freedom to do whatever you want, like customizing you character, to enchanting weapons to light people on fire when you smack them with it.
Theres hundreds of little villages, cities, camps, tombs, caves (both underwater, and above ground), and other places to explore.
You can choose from guilds to join and do jobs for them, or you could just be a theif, and steal a bunch a stuff from one town, then move on to the next town and do the same thing over again! And, you can become a vampire if you want! Cool beans!
I know the game sounds boring, but trust me, its worth every penny, and you'll spend months playing it. Buy MORROWIND!

5.0 out of 5 stars Creating a new world, May 8, 2002
Theo Valich (Zagreb, Croatia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Video Game)
Well, what can be said about successor of Daggerfall, except that you should be prepared to spend another couple of hundred hours with the game - no, I'm not kidding. Morrowind is significantly smaller than Daggerfall, but huge in it's own way. An island with couple of dozen villages and cities, hundreds of "personas" to talk with, unseen diversity of items, quests and side-quests (tamper one foxy noble lady with a local robber and they'll offer you to get married with most beautifull...well, she was not my race, so... :-) - all this makes a cocktail which is now best Computer Role Playing Game ever. Only, but only remark goes to possiblity of getting trapped in some parts of the map - like poles on bridges and so...so save regulary.
P.S. Also, be noted that the game is not easy - but when you got the hand at it....
P.P.S. Morrowind is getting some 96% in my review, which makes TES3 highest scoring game which I reviewed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Freedom, May 3, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Video Game)
After several days(and sleepless nights) of play, I must admit that I have never experienced an RPG quite like Morrowind. It feels much like Fallout( another masterpiece ) in that you are basically free to explore the world as you choose. Participate in the root storyline when you desire to, or forge your own way through the game. It seems there are bizarre events and small quests to be found in just about every nook and cranny of the game. Solve murders. Steal, bribe, and swindle your way to riches. Dodge falling mages( you will see:) )...its all there. Just explore.
Finally, while I generally think people spend WAY too much time talking about graphics and not enough about gameplay, I will say that there is NOTHING on the market that even approaches the visual artistry of Morrowind. It is a leap beyond anything I expected to see this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely Honest Review, June 22, 2002
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Video Game)
Now I am going to start off saying THIS GAME IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. Soon you will be finding yourself spending countless hours into this game. If you dont want a game where you will be spending 100+ hours then dont buy this. In the game you start on a slave ship, once you get off the ship the first thing you do is create a character. You choose race, sex, hair, face, class, birthsign, and a few more. Make sure you put a LOT of time into creating a character (you will be with him or her for a lot of time). For me this game is a little confusing. Now i joined a guild which is almost like a club where the leader gives you missions, you do them, get your money, and get a rank. Now i just figured out that there is a main mission and i still dont even know what it is. Another thing in this game is it requires you to do a lot of reading, now there is A LOT and i usually dont read it all so sometimes i miss out on a lot of important information i need to beat the game. I think i am still a little early in the game to be starting the main mission. My character is not nearly strong enough. To make your character stronger you do either training with other characters or training by yourself (training with other characters costs money though). If you raise a combined 10 points then you grow a level which makes you stronger, quicker, gives you more magic, life, endurance, ect. Something that needs work is combat. It is hard to tell if you are going to hit the person and combat is almost impossible in 3rd person view (you get to change it between 1st and 3rd person view). For almost all the time i play the game i always have it on 1st person view. If you look past all of the flaws (which there are not many ) you will apreciate the beautiful water effects and the night/day system. It is almost like a real world, it changes from night to day, but not instantly, the sun slowly sets behing the mountains. You can even watch the clouds move across the sky! There even is a weather system it rains, snows, is cloudy, is sunny. Overall, i already love this game, it is a great experience to play and enjoy. If your not sure go rent it, if you know you are going to like it (like me) then just go and buy it. You can do whatever you want from burning and slaughtering villages to protecting them from evil. You are free to explore the vast world that Morrowind has to offer.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Bottom Line, July 25, 2002
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Video Game)
Ok first of all let me give my credentials to better help you understand my review. i have been playing both video game and table top RPG's for about 12 years now. I have owned every major system and currently own the cube, xbox, and ps2. I have been playing morrowind for well over 100hrs...nuff said.
First let me say that Morrowind is not a standard linear RPG (ex. Final Fantasy and Secret of Mana); you have only one char. the entire game. You chose from several different races and basically unlimited classes (ex. thief, warrior, wizard, ect.). You possess every skill in the game but must choose 5 major and 5 minor skills that will serve as the basis for your char. class and the rest of the skills fall into you secondary skills. All skills increase with use or can be increased by reading books or training from an npc. the major skills go up fastest, minor second fastest and secondary slowest. In addition to the 3 sections of skills you also must choose from the 3 Major areas of skill: combat, magic, or thief. the skills that fall under the one you choose will also go up faster.
Now on to gameplay. the combat system is your typical hack slash when using weapons and aim and fire with magic (if you've ever played EverQuest for pc it is very similar, only no target lock). The world is simply giant! i have played for 100+ hrs and still not seen it all. The enimies are very tough at first and come in a limited variety. You are cabable of killing anything you see! I mean any creature, vendor, guard, anything can be killed! You can also steal anything not bolted to the ground! You can choose to follow the main quest or do one of the millions of sidequests, or just run around the world killing and exploring. There is literally no end to this game!
THE GOOD: Beautiful graphics
Unlimited gameplay
Near total freedom of char.
Near total freedom of play
Unlimited types of spells(you can actually make yer own spells)!
Each item has its own look and actually appears on yer char.
You can have your own house!
The world changes w/even the smallest thing you do.
THE BAD:
Enimies become extremely easy after a short time.
Variety of enimies is extremley small.
Super powerfull items are waaaaay to easy to acquire.
Computer AI leaves alot to be desired.
Quests become very repetitive (go do this and come back, now go do this and come back, ok thanks now go here and come back) this can be very annoying when my next gripe is factored in.
After a few hrs of game play your game will get DIRTY DISC ERRORS and freeze.
After you have played for even more hrs the game will just freeze when you switch between menu screens. This can happen 20+ times in a row.
Selling high dollar items becomes so time consuming it becomes a game in itself!
The game has more bugs than ...a night hotel room.
All in all i'd have to say had the developers taken a little more time before releasing it, this game could have easliy been the greatest consol RPG of all time. If you can get past the bad things i mentioned then buying this game will be like buying life #2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Role Playing at its BEST, Imagine, Create, Live your Fantasy, July 24, 2002
forrie (Nashua, NH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Video Game)
In short "MorroWind" is the most complete, open-ended Role Playing Game ever created. (I LOVE IT !!!!) What this means to the gamer is; you create your character, choose your craft and seek your destiny. You can do anything, go anywhere, be anything. Play a defined plot or free-lance your way. Everything you do as in life effects your life later on. This is "Dungeons and Dragons" the way it should be. This game could last for ever it is so immense & detailed. (1 month and counting. I have experienced, invisibility, underwater breathing, flying, potions, magical items, discoveries and advancements galore!)
This is my evaluation and "MORROWIND" experience so far!!!!!
I am a 37th Level, 25th Armor Class Wood Elf Master Thief!!! I have traveled through this vast magnificent 3D world without limitation of direction. The auto mapping feature keeps you playing not mapping. This vast game detail has been meticulously monitored, maintained and store in memory.(Save often and anywhere is a great feature).
A detailed map is supplied with the game for geographical referencing. As you actually travel through this MorroWind the computer map details are auto stored in memory. Your tasks are auto stored in your life destiny's journal. Again a great computer monitor tool for your chronological activities.
A very complex game but as life, you live and learn, or die!!!
This game is awesome!!! The glitches are very miner, ie.; NPC's (non-playing characters) sometimes walk above ground, The AI (artifical intelligence) is very realistic. These NPC's learn and improve as you do, plus if you miss the easy kill or sneaking by them they make you pay. Talk to everyone as in life leads you to fame, fortune or death.
Again everything you do now will effect you later. Use you head as in life you will learn by your mistakes.
If you cannot determine what to be or what to do, as in life there is a computer generated character test & a scripted scenario. Believe me once you get started and see all you can do ie; viit scores of towns, dive on ship wrecks, climb mountains, swim rivers & seas, explore hundreds of dungeons or slay enemies you'll be on your way!!!
This game is awesome. A single player open ended saga. I've been playing for over a month and I have only explored about 25% of this vast game. (I have selectedly chosen only certain area to explore until my abilities improve for the real challenges ahead. Enjoy!!!!

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind