Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on February 15, 2013
Of all the investment books I've read in the past few months, this one is the best. It has the most practical advice, distilled into plain English, that anyone can understand. Thanks Burt and Charley for a wonderful book, and the updated edition is terrific. The newbie investor would benefit the most from reading this book, but I am recommending this book to everyone. As I told a colleague at work, if you can only read one book on investing, this is the one to read. I will also go back every couple of years and re-read this book. The information and advice is timeless.
on December 15, 2013
This is the most straightforward and most common sense investing book I have ever read. Read the book, follow its principles and you will obtain financial independence. Low cost passive Index mutual funds or ETF's Index funds are the only way to match the markets percentage returns year after year. No one can beat the markets performance year after year after using active investing - stock picking, not even the professionals. So why not just let the market do it for you. What a novel concept!!

I purchased both the book in hardback and the Audible.com version. I am giving this book and "The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair of Stock Market Returns" by John C. Bogle to my college age son for Christmas 2013.

Read these investment books, follow their investment guidelines and fundamental principles and your net worth is almost guaranteed to grow. Keep in mind the power of compounding and reinvesting - a 15% on your investments will double your initial investment in 4.8 years. That is based on the rule of 72!

Buy this book and simplify your investing and out perform a significant majority of investors year after year while watching your investments grow faster than your earnings employment capacity!
on August 27, 2013
It should be mandatory that everyone who makes money reads this book. I can't recommend it enough!

It is great for any level of knowledge regarding savings and investing. Beginners will learn everything they need to understand the concept of saving and investing to generate returns, and experts will be reminded of the basics of why saving and investing in the stock market is something they got in to (and maybe even pick something new up in the process).

If you will only read one book on investing and saving, please let it be this one.
on March 29, 2014
I always have 2 copies of this book on hand and give a copy to anyone who asks me about investing. If I was to dedicate my life to a higher cause I'd put a copy of this book in the nightstand of every hotel room.

Why? This is easiest way to explain the efficient market and what to do about it. It is 95% of the personal value I got from 2 degrees in finance in one very small, very easily read book. (There's a lot of professional value to a finance education, but for managing your own money this book isthe first and best place to go). If you want the long version of this book read either of the author's other books, well worth the time.

The authors are academics, and the methods they teach are proven by multitudes of real research. The theory has been attacked by thousands more but it still holds up.

I have nothing personally to gain by this review, but please do yourself the favor of reading this book and following what it teaches you'll be happy that you did.
on April 8, 2013
It's so compelling, easy-to-read, and confirming/reaffirming (what others—Swedroe, Ferri, Bogle, Solin, Larimore, Stein—espouse) that I delayed using a highlighter for salient points until my second reading.
on March 24, 2013
succinct and wise description of basic investing wisdom that I wish I had ready many years ago. Well written and useful for novices and older investors too. what is sensible rather than what the industry wants to sell.
on July 9, 2013
"Elements...." is a well-written, easy to follow guide to investing. I enjoyed reading it, will (or already have) follow
its recommendations, and pass it on to my spouse (who knows little about investing). Much of "Elements" restates what Prof. Malkiel has written about at greater length in his "Random Walk...." I found that aspect to be a helpful review of what I thought (not always correctly) I already knew. I recommend the book to anyone beginning to think about investing or anyone who might thnik of him- or herself as an intermediate investor.
on July 11, 2013
"The Elements of Investing" is a good little book. I like the size of it, it fits right in your hands. It also contains easy lessons in investing. Being a bit of a beginner at the science of investing, I found this book really helpful. It is written in an "easy to understand" way for beginners like me. With all the information out there on the market, it is easy to get confused, with each investment guru proposing their own strategy.

The book starts with saving and tells us to start early. It advocates taking advantage of your employers 401K where the company matches the funds you put in. Not using your 401K benefits is like refusing money. You also have to consider your emotional ability to hold firm when the market is down. The authors suggest that indexed funds are the best and to diversify the holdings in your portfolio. Timing is important and keeping everything simple is helpful. They also talk about fine-tuning your strategy.

I usually find books on investing boring and full of stuff I don't understand. This book was different. I understood what they were talking about and I plan to follow their advice. -- Valerie Lull, Author, Ten Healtlhy Teas
on October 9, 2013
Book has basic, generic strategies for investing. It is well written, with easy to understand concepts.

I resisted reading this, but it was a "book club" book. It was a pretty quick read and was enjoyed by all.
on September 30, 2015
As the title infers, this is a basic, informative primer for anyone who is, or is going to get, in the stock market. Proven, sage advice is given for how to save and why you should get management out of the equation and invest in low cost ETF index funds.