5.0 out of 5 stars ADORABLE and a great way to answer skeptical kid questions
Spoiler alert below.

I have 2 little girls, ages 3 (almost 4) and 5 1/2. This is the 3rd Christmas we've enjoyed our adopted elf, who's name is Bicklebaum Woodle, or Bickle for short. Both of my girls have been a bit lukewarm about the Elf tradition, their interest coming and going.

I was delighted to see the release of the movie this year, and we...
Published 19 months ago by Erin Rippy

1.0 out of 5 stars This DVD is 24 minutes!
My daughter spent her Christmas Amazon gift card money on this video. She was so excited about her purchase. Every day she asked when it would arrive. Today it came, and she she sat down to watch it immediately. It turns out that it was only 24 minutes long. I wish I had realized. This is not a movie, but a one episode television show. Don't waste your money!
Published 18 months ago by Kristine E Hayes

5.0 out of 5 stars ADORABLE and a great way to answer skeptical kid questions, November 26, 2012
Erin Rippy (Nashville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
Spoiler alert below.

I was delighted to see the release of the movie this year, and we watched it together as a family tonight before bed. We all really enjoyed it! After the movie was over I said "Bedtime!" and my daughters ran over to the Elf's current position on the fireplace mantle to say "GOODNIGHT BICKLEBAUM! MERRY CHRISTMAS!" Quite honestly, it's the first time they've said goodnight to him.

From a parent's perspective, it's wonderful. The story is cute, the character voices nice, animation and music well done, and a movie I don't think I'll mind playing over and over again.

I think the storybook that comes with the elf is a bit long, and leaves room for a lot of "what if" questions. My kids usually get squirmy before the end, and they love for me to read to them. I love that this movie does a great job of filling in some gaps left by the book, answering a lot of questions that inquisitive kids might ask. It shows how each Scout Elf gets his or her assignment at the North pole. Some elves are headed directly to a family. Some elves are headed to a place such as 'Bob's Books and Things' where a family can adopt them. As each elf leaves the north pole, they are even shown getting into their box, Santa adding in a book, and the box being closed up, looking EXACTLY like the box you see in stores - er - ADOPTION CENTERS.

The movie follows the story of a particular Scout Elf who has been assigned to the McTuttle family, who has 2 little twin girls full of holiday cheer and wonder, and a 9-year-old boy named Taylor who isn't sure he believes in Santa or Christmas magic anymore. The McTuttle family name their elf Chippey, activating his magic. We watch as Chippey chooses meaningful places in the house to return to each night that might inspire Taylor's belief in Christmas. Taylor doesn't believe and scoffs the entire concept, and much to his sisters' dismay, he touches Chippey to prove his point. The girls run away in tears and Taylor races after them. Chippey manages to use the last of his magic to fly up the chimney, and other scout elves on the way back to the North Pole carry him home.

While Chippey is laying in North Pole hospital bed, the McTuttle family is upset that they haven't seen Chippey for a few days, including Taylor. Taylor writes a letter to Santa, saying that he's sorry for having touched Chippey, thus taking his magic away. Santa shows the letter and enclosed photograph to Chippey, proving Taylor's belief, which reinstates his magic, allowing him to return to the McTuttle family. It really warms the heart to see Taylor's transformation from skeptic to believer.

The movie is brief, less than 30 minutes, and easy to follow. It's a cute addition to this fun family tradition. I wish I'd had it in 2010 when we first adopted our Elf!

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT COMPANION TO THE ELF & BOOK, December 6, 2011
This review is from: An Elf's Story DVD (DVD)
My grandchildren loved learning more about their Elf and no matter how many times they watch the DVD, they always ask for "just one more time"!

5.0 out of 5 stars Your kids will love it!, December 14, 2011
Spencer Brown (Forney, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Elf's Story DVD (DVD)
I see a lot of reviews over-analyzing this thing. It's a kids show! We just started doing the elf on the shelf with my 3 year old daughter and she gets absolutely giddy every time she sees her elf. This was on CBS a couple weeks ago and we recorded it. Last night she watched it 3 times in one sitting! I love seeing her light up every time she watches this movie. A couple reviews have mentioned that the movie isn't about the intended purpose of the doll. I say, who cares! It's a sweet little story about kids believing in Santa. However, in my opinion, 15 bucks is a little much for a 25 minute show and that is probably my only gripe about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE...So sweet!, December 4, 2011
M. Cratin (Whitemarsh, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Elf's Story DVD (DVD)
If you do the 'Elf on the Shelf', this video is a must. We had out Elf, Elfie, deliver this as a gift to our son. He was so excited that Elfie brought him something. We also 'saw' our Elfie in the video...our son was giddy with delight! Worth buying....helps to illustrate to children what happens to their elf while they are sleeping:)

1.0 out of 5 stars This DVD is 24 minutes!, January 2, 2013
Kristine E Hayes (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Christmas Gift, February 12, 2012
This review is from: An Elf's Story DVD (DVD)
Granddaughters loved the movie. I gave it to them for Christmas along with the book and the Elf. I trust they will enjoy it every year till they have children of their own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie for little ones, January 16, 2012
This review is from: An Elf's Story DVD (DVD)
Cute movie, totally kept my 2.5 year old entertained for the length of the movie. Great graphics! Would recommend purchasing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Elf on the Shelf, January 14, 2012
This review is from: An Elf's Story DVD (DVD)
Excellent movie, my kids begged to watch this movie over and over again! My little one who does not sit still long enough to watch movies even watched this one!

3.0 out of 5 stars Kids enjoyed it, January 18, 2014
This review is from: An Elf's Story DVD (DVD)
My 7 year old granddaughter weas scared to death of the Elf on the shelf. This opened her up to the concept. My one complaint is it is to short. Only about 1/2 hour long.

3.0 out of 5 stars An Elf's Story DVD, January 18, 2014
This review is from: An Elf's Story DVD (DVD)
It was ok, nut very short story. My daughter was so excited when we received it, but when It finished so quickly, she was like, "that's it" I should of check Netflix or hulu to see if it was there before buying it.

An Elf's Story DVD