Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: HardcoverChange

on July 7, 2008
There are lots of money books out there. I personally have probably read them all. They tell you how to make money, invest money, and even how to spend your money (buy real estate, buy gold coins, etc.). Even with all this great advice, my relationship to money was dysfunctional at best. The money came in fast, went out faster, and certainly did not make me feel capable of pursuing my dreams with confidence - as a good, stable relationship should make you feel!

Wearily, I picked up The Emotion Behind Money, not really expecting to find what I was after --the secret to getting better at "the money part" of life. And yet, that is exactly what I did find! At the end, I joyfully closed the book, took a deep breath, and started reading it all over again. But this time around I did all the exercises in pen, not just in my head. I could write in this book, because no one else is getting my copy...it's a keeper!

Julie Murphy Casserly delivers on her promise, and how! She tells it like it is, sparing nobody, especially herself. The invisible is made visible. At the end of the book, you will know where the weakest links are in your money chain, why they are there, and best of all, how to change the way you feel about and relate to money, so that money will stick around and not "desert" you. I also loved the self-quizzes and revealing interactive exercises. When I starting doing them, I was numb to what I really wanted my money to help me do, and now I know--as I said, the invisible made visible. If you do these exercises, I think you too will rediscover your dreams, and how to set up a financial support system so that you can afford to do what you love, and not "someday" but sooner rather than later.

Throw out the other money books. This is the only one you'll need. Just the chapter on "The Crabs in Your Bucket" is life-changing. I could go on and on...I am that excited that someone has actually applied psychology to the most significant relationship we have besides our significant other. Well, actually, your money IS your significant other.

That's my honest, heartfelt recommendation. Read it!
on October 13, 2008
I absolutely could not put this book down! Who would have thought of getting so engrossed in reading a financial advisor's advice on money and emotions? ME!! It blew me away to think in such a logical way that it has changed me completely in my life now and the future. I wish I had this in my 20's, but it also is never too late! Julie Murphy-Casserly is a very down-to-earth kind of woman and that's why I purchased this in the first place. I hate budgets as much as I hate diets, and this was not at all like I thought. I learned an enormous amount from her and I did go through all of the exercises in the book (usually I skip that part:). I have changed my whole attitude in not only money and spending, but in re-grouping my whole future. She is just awesome and I cannot say enough about her. Please do not think you are too old for this; NOT TRUE AT ALL! Hope it helps as many people as it has helped me. Love this author....Susie-Q
on July 7, 2008
I have never really been into self help books, especially related to my Finances. My emotions behind money were always Panic and Guilt and I could never understand why a person with 3-4 jobs and no children could be so much in debt. I am only 26 years old but with each passing year I feel like I am running out of time. I am a creative mind with musical talent but I always thought that those dreams were out of reach and irresponsible. This book has given me a renewed sense of purpose in my gifts and the courage to confront my inner demons. I realize now that I have been the BIGGEST "Crab in my bucket" and not even realized it. I would recommend this book to anyone who is struggling with following their passion or taking the "safe" road. Julie's book helps you reveal emotions that many of us have suppressed or not realized but in the same breath, she reminds you that everyone has a choice in their actions. You can choose to perpetuate the cycle or you can recognize what is dragging you down and have the courage to make the change!!
Check out her website!! [...]
on August 22, 2008
One of the best books I've ever read about establishing a budget and financial planning is Julie Murphy Casserly's "The Emotion Behind Money: Building Wealth From The Inside Out." If you feel overwhelmed at the idea of creating a personal budgeting plan, this book offers a foolproof way to create, organize, and maintain a personal budget. It's a step-by-step guide to getting yourself on track financially, and staying there for the rest of your life. Unlike other money books on the market, Julie Murphy Casserly's non-traditional, self-help financial book integrates a holistic approach to financial freedom. In it she simplifies the budgeting process, making it easy for you to create a solid, realistic plan - a roadmap to discovering and maintaining a life of abundance and inner happiness.

Laurie Buchanan, PhD, HHP, CHT, RMT
HolEssence - Certified Holistic Therapies
on March 13, 2014
The author (Julie Murphy Casserly) seems like a really nice person but I'm not into her beliefs about chakra or zones of energy. A large chunk of the book is spent talking about your attitudes and past emotions about handling money. Then finally near the end, she quickly talks about building financial wealth. I think this book talks more about how she overcame her emotions behind money.
on October 15, 2008
This book provided me with insights that explained what I had always thought of as my irrational relationship with money. In so many cases I see my relationship with money explained through the real world examples Casserly provides. It's an enlightening and exciting journey through processing emotions to create the life that you really want. I highly recommend this read and have gifted it to many friends and family!
on November 1, 2009
This book REALLY connects the reality of finances with the uncertainty of the emotions we all have that drive us in our financial decisions. The psychological exercises and explanations are easy to understand, and the author really relates to the readers on a very personal level throughout the book. I liked how the author shared very personal stories or 'case studies', I was able to relate either personally or to someone I know through these illustrations. It was one of those books that you can't put down until you've read the whole thing, and it really gets you thinking not only of yourself, but of others that you know who match up to the stories. I recommend this book often, AND put a copy in the hands of several people already.

There are also some exercises sprinkled throughout the book, and they were really easy to understand, QUICK to complete, and most of all relevant to my life. For me, a lot of books dealing in the psychological realm give exercises that are much more time consuming or irrelevant than they are thought provoking, hence the reason many of those books don't have an impact (at least for me). I believe the ease and convenience of doing these exercises as well as RELEVANCE and thought-provoking nature of them are the reason I have not lost my motivation to change my financial life since reading this book. In particular, the list I derived from the "Crabs In Your Bucket" exercise is still one I keep handy, refer to often and update.

Whether you are the type of person who is thirsty for a lesson in money that taps into your intuitive side, or the type who only buys into psychology with the fortification of theory through numbers and factual information, this book is for you. I think anyone at any age and at ANY stage of their financial life can benefit from reading this book. I look forward to the next books coming from this author! For those of you interested in more, I know I found a blog on the website at [...] and you can even see her live on these recordings: [...] julie-murphy-casserly-flip-your-financial-switch.html# After reading the book then hearing her live, you can really see she is a genuine and passionate person and truly an expert in her field.
on July 11, 2011
This book teaches you about your relationship with money. I read it once and then quickly went back and read it again doing all of the exercises, They are very enlightening. Looking at my relationship with money through a holistic approach gave me an understanding that has changed the way I approach my finances. I feel optimistic about my future finances which is a far cry from my past experience.
on May 12, 2009
This book is a great starting point for anyone looking to rethink their financial future. No matter where you are starting out, Casserly's book addresses the emotional baggage that is often at the root of our spending/saving behaviors. Without the condescending, shameful or scolding tone that so many finance books sometimes have, she takes a topic that is often fraught with hang-ups and gives it new direction. Reading this book and realizing what might really be at the root of so many of my own habits, helped me to re-evaluate my thinking and come away with new insight, hope and direction for moving forward in a positive way. I would highly recommend for anyone who is looking for a more comprehensive understanding of their own bottom line financial motivations and behaviors. She takes real-life scenarios and incorporates them into how we think, and what we can do to change our own financial future. A quick and fulfilling read.
on September 28, 2011
So many finance books are one size fits all and they tell you what to do. Julie's book is highly individualistic and tells you how to CHANGE.

A majority of us have financial problems, but the book doesn't take the tone that you should feel bad and guilty about them, you should accept them and start to move on. Through the exercises in the book you learn to accept your current reality, figure out what got you there and take steps to change.

The exercises are thought-provoking and really help you dig deep into your emotions. My relationship with money is a complicated one and I have gone through this book several times as my life situations have changed. I still have a lot of work to do, but I know I'll be able to get there.

Do yourself a favor and read this book!