5.0 out of 5 stars A Unique New Approach to Healing Emotional Hurts
As complementary and alternative approaches to healing began to gain ground, many of us began to notice something strange.

Some conventional treatments that worked well in the past were often not as effective today. Conversely, treatments that once worked only occasionally started to become more stable.

Over the last three decades we have seen a...
Published on July 22, 2007 by Dr. Richard G. Petty

1.0 out of 5 stars BE CAREFUL!
Published on October 29, 2010 by JOYFUL

5.0 out of 5 stars A Unique New Approach to Healing Emotional Hurts, July 22, 2007
This review is from: The Emotion Code (Paperback)

Over the last three decades we have seen a lengthening list of new forms of successful physical and psychotherapy treatments are Thought Field Therapy, Emotional Freedom Technique, Quantum-Touch, The Reconnection, Tapas Acupressure Technique and Matrix Assessment Profile. Though there are some therapies that rely on novel technology, many of these new techniques seem to have been discoveries rather than new inventions.

Physicians and therapists have been pushing and prodding people for millennia. Their powers of observation were often astonishing. So it is unlikely that they would have failed to notice that touching someone here or applying intention there could be an effective form of therapy. Unless these techniques did not work in the past. The emergence of these new, and often very effective therapies, is one of the reasons for believing that the laws of healing are changing and evolving as we are changing and evolving as a species.

To this list of new therapies we now need to add "The Body Code" of which the Emotion Code is a part.

So what is it all about? Based on a his observations in practice, Brad Nelson has come to believe that much human suffering is due to negative emotional "energies" that have become "trapped" within us, most commonly around the heart, where they can create a "Heart-Wall" that may block our ability freely to give and receive love. Anyone who has done much body work has seen something similar. I once treated a woman with acupuncture. She had an exquisitely tender knot along the inner border of her shoulder blade. It felt like a small hard miniature person. It turned out to be the signature left by an abusive ex-husband. As she was treated, the knot vanished and with it many years of negative emotions flowed out of her. This is precisely the kind of thing that Brad has observed, but he has devised a series of simple steps that almost anyone can try to help themselves, as an adjunct, rather than a replacement for medical care.

Though there is a small amount of theory, this is essentially a self-help book for identifying and treating blocked emotions. And it is that second part: the "treating" that is unique. The main tools are muscle testing, magnets (even fridge magnets seem to work) and a willingness to listen to the answer that you body and mind might give you

Though the techniques described in this fascinating book have not yet been subjected to formal empirical study, I have four reasons for being excited about this new form of treatment.
First is that the theory makes perfectly good sense: it is entirely consistent with findings garnered in a number of fields of "energy medicine," often more accurately referred to as "information medicine."

Second, is that there is already an impressive number of people who have been helped by the technique.

Third, I saw the author and his wife using the technique on an individual and could easily see the flow of energy and the positive impact that it was having on the "patient."

Fourth is the author himself. I spent many years as a "quack buster," and I am pretty good at sniffing out the real from the, ahem, less so. Brad Nelson is smart, well educated and a poster child for integrity and compassion. He has discovered the things that he has because of his humility and willingness to listen to his patients and listen to the answers that they - and the Universe - were giving him.

Highly recommended.

Richard G. Petty, MD, author of Healing, Meaning and Purpose: The Magical Power of the Emerging Laws of Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Energy flows where attention goes, November 19, 2010
This review is from: The Emotion Code (Paperback)
I have bought many different energy based books, and used different energy based techniques, with great results.

Quantum Touch taught me the importance of breath and how to move energy, and the principles of resonance and entrainment. EFT taught me how to release negative emotions within two minutes by tapping on specific energy points. Reiki taught me the importance of healing touch, and using Universal Life Force energy effortlessly.

Matrix Energetics taught me the importance of intention, and active imagination. I could go on, Qigong, Reiki, Touch of healing, Yoga, Tibetans, Huna..

A few months ago I attended a Donna Eden seminar, and saw The Emotion Code on sale with her products. I thought, hmm, this is the only product by any other author on sale, so it's recommended by her and must be pretty good.

It's an easy read, easy to learn, and easy to do the emotion code process. I was able to make it work with a fridge magnet. In fact it's similar to the energy zip up technique used by Donna Eden in which you trace your fingers up the central meridian to your mouth while holding an affirmation in mind, except that here you are tracing backwards over the governing meridian, to release trapped emotions and self testing to see the effect of what you are doing. This may very well be the quickest process work I have done.

This book contains every thing I like in a good book. There are numerous specific examples and case studies of how this process has worked on many people, and testimonials. I particularly like how he explained that certain emotions are tied to certain organs. Anger to the liver, sadness to the lungs and colon, anxiety to the heart, and peeved to the bladder meridian. What's another word for peeved? Although an emotion is not necessarily limited to a specific organ.

Not all of our emotions are conscious. Usually, if I am doing change work or people I might ask them what emotion they wish to release, so I was somewhat surprised at the intuitive method he uses to discover what emotion is really troubling the person. In fact not only did I read the book, I noted that he was doing a seminar in San Francisco, and I went. I wished to test this process on someone. I worked on several people, but one young lady in particular, who had been troubled by a knee pain since she was 16. Using the intuitive process we discerned the trapped emotion was blaming. I asked her if this made sense. She said yes. We backtracked to the root cause of the emotion, and I ran a powerful magnet down her spine three times, with an extra one or two passes for good luck. We tested her for the emotion and it was gone, and the pain had disappeared, in fact she felt warm sensations down her right leg as it released.

One of the intriguing chapters in the book is about heart walls. Almost all of us have them, in which the wall, designed to protect us operates as a barrier to connecting with people, and to intimacy. Mine was about one and a half feet thick, and made of wood. Many of the cases in the book had much bigger heart walls.

I find many parallels the Emotion Code process and TimeLine Therapy, in which I am trained, and there is a testimonial about a near death experience from someone who also did nlp and nlp and Timeline Therapy.

One of the other reviewers mentioned a concern about magnets. First, most of the magic of the process is in the intention of the magician not the wand he uses. This process requires you only to move the magnet over the meridian several times. Nowhere in the book does he recommend using a magnet for a prolonged period, and with a rolling magnet like the Nissen magnet you are getting both north and south exposure. You can read more about magnets in Donna Eden's Energy Medicine. Prolonged exposure to one pole for say 8 to 10 hours could be detrimental, and the magnets you can get at Radio Shack are probably powerful enough for your purpose.

If you wish to explore energy medicine more, I recommend:

The Energy Medicine Kit [With 43 Energy, Medicine Cards and 1-Inch Cut Glass Crystal and CD and DVD and 28-Page Booklet] [ENERGY MEDICINE KIT] by Donna Eden, which shows energy testing being demonstrated, energy zipup technique, and more advanced techniques, including a five minute daily routine to boost your energy.

Quantum-Touch: The Power to Heal (Third Edition): The Power to Heal (Third Edition) by Richard Gordon.

Life Energy: Using the Meridians to Unlock the Hidden Power of Your Emotions: by John Diamond MD, one of the best books I have read on energy medicine, and a complete manual.

The Touch of Healing: Energizing the Body, Mind, and Spirit With Jin Shin Jyutsu. It's Jin Shin Jitsu, a complete system, very easy to learn and use.

The EFT Manual (Everyday Eft: Emotional Freedom Techniques) (EFT: Emotional Freedom Techniques)by Gary Craig is a simple tapping process useful for letting go of troubling emotions. Imagine easily letting go of issues such as anger, anxiety, fear, forgiveness, stress, procrastination, traumas, and buy various books on Amazon.

The Subtle Body: An Encyclopedia of Your Energetic Anatomy is a beatifully illustrated encyclopedic book about energy medicine.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has the power to change everything!, December 12, 2007
This review is from: The Emotion Code (Paperback)
There is actually a book out there that will, quite possibly, save your life! It's called The Emotion Code and it's author is Dr. Bradley Nelson.

There have been few books that have left me with a feeling that there is so much more to this life than what meets the eye. In fact, I don't think I have been this excited about a book in years. That is why I felt it appropriate to put a book review on an indie music review site. After all, this book is about as indie as you can get.

Within the pages of The Emotion Code Dr. Nelson explains the inner workings of the subconscious mind and lays it bare for all to see. He writes simply so you, the readers, are not left scratching your heads in complete bewilderment. This book makes so much sense that it's scary. Why do we have phobias? Why does it seem certain people can't seem to loose weight? Why can't some people seem to ever find someone to love? Why are some people always sick and the doctors can never find the answers? The answers are all within The Emotion Code.

Dr. Nelson also teaches his readers and patients how to become healers themselves by releasing what are called Trapped Emotions - trapped emotions boil down to an emotional event in our lives that becomes trapped within our energy field/body - yes, we are all made of energy and all energy vibrates at different frequencies. We all send out our own unique frequencies. Have you ever felt like someone was staring at the back of your head so you turn around and someone is staring right at you? Yup, that's what I'm talking about. Well a small part of it anyway. Actually, everything that you can and can't see on this earth is made of energy. Sometimes our trapped emotions get caught in the energy field of our body and can have any number of effects on us. But don't worry, we can all learn how to release them through a technique called muscle testing, which has been around for a while now, but Dr. Bradley has come up with his own techniques. I have tried all of them and they all work (for me some are easier than others). Learning how to find my trapped emotions and release them has been one of the more eye opening experiences in my life, not to mention seeing other people have their emotions released from them is amazing. It can be a lot of fun to release these emotions and at the same time very spiritual.

Yes, there is a whole theory of medicine in this book. For the most part it's new (Dr. Nelson calls it "Future Medicine") but if we open our minds just a bit, this book can be totally change the lives of every living being on this planet. Every problem that occurs on this earth can be looked at in a totally different light once you have read, studied and understand The Emotion Code.

Some people, the narrow minded ones might call The Emotion Code "hokey", to those people I say, times are changing. We are learning new things everyday and this book and it's teaching could quite possibly lie in all of our future's. This book has positively affected so many people in my life that I am truly grateful for Dr. Bradley's life changing methods. There are numerous testimonials in The Emotion Code and on his site to give further street cred for his teachings.

If there is a "Must" book of the year, it's The Emotion Code! - BEAR

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Discovery - try it, January 24, 2009
Zunaira (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Emotion Code (Paperback)
I thank Dr. Bradley Nelson for sharing this method of getting in touch with our subconcious mind.

When I tried the method on myself my biggest suspicion was that my concious thoughts would influence my results. But they didn't. I assumed an emotion would be about a particular event, but my subconcious took me back to totally different memories.

The only thing the book does not do is warn us that this method will truly makes us face ourselves and our true feelings, about ourselves and others. It is a door to personal growth and peace. It is an opportnity to forgive ourselves, love ourselves, and heal ourselves in places that we had forgotten about and levels that we cannot imagine.

I do not know of anything else like this.

I found this to be a very easy book to read. It is organised very well and takes the reader step by step, which I appreciate.

I believe that Dr. Bradley has explained a very important thing very easily. He carefully and openly says he is not promising all-out-cures. He also points out what this can be used for, and what not.

To do justice to it, one has to try it for themselves.

1.0 out of 5 stars BE CAREFUL!, October 29, 2010
This review is from: The Emotion Code (Paperback)
I bought the Emotion Code and tried it for an extended period of time. It did lessen my negative emotions, but they always seemed to come back. I began to get headaches that I had never had before. The entire premise of this program is using magnets (some of them large and powerful, because I bought one) on your brain to lessen the emotions. An M.D. advised me to stop using the magnets on my brain. I did, and the headaches stopped. I recently had the opportunity to ask the same thing of another M.D. who knew nothing about my headaches. I was simply asking about any health risks related to using magnets repeatedly and long term on your brain. He said the same thing - that he would advise any person NOT to do that. The last time I went in to see my Chiropractor, I asked the same thing of him and his partner (another Chiropractor) - they were familiar with the book and Dr. Nelson. They said they thought highly of Dr. Nelson as a person, but they would agree with the M.D.'s about the long term, repeated use of magnets on the brain. They remarked about how many times people do things, with good intention, thinking that there is no health risk, and then sometimes years later people start having all sorts of health problems from it. They said that, in their opinion, the daily, long term use of magnets on the brain would definitely be in the "risk" area - regardless of how much it seems to be safe or help right now. I know Dr. Nelson is a Chiropractor and obviously has a difference of opinion on this, and states this in the book. However, of four health professionals I have asked about this, all four said the same thing - they did not advise the long term, repeated use of magnets on the brain, for safety reasons. There are other techniques that can quickly lessen negative emotions without putting yourself at any risk - that's exactly what the two Chiropractors said to me. Just one persons experience and opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most amazingly simple and powerfully effective modality...with Grace and Ease, November 18, 2010
Noemia A. Walaska (Woodbridge, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Emotion Code (Paperback)
As an energy practitioner, I have spent more than two decades studying many different 'healing' methods that could be done easily without having to be present and yet powerful enough to see subtle changes and to receive long term results on all levels. I have now been using this method although I have not been certified with not only people but very effectively and successfully with many animals, especially those who have been severly emotionally and physcially abused and abandoned. To watch these lovely gifts of life to transform to animals who not only can return to 'society' but can be loving and trusting, is the greatest gift that I have been able to share with The Emotion Code Process. I have used this for myself, my friends, family, and have offered this additional practice for free sometimes without any other modality and have so many letters, emails, and phone calls validating usually with disbelief, then gratitude, and then letters recommending others to contact me. I have recommended this book to so many people and have even given mine away that others buy it again to return to me as they will not part with the original one that I have given them. I send so many to view the videos and to research the information and the response is always, when can we start? It simplifies and yet strengthens all of the many other 'energy' and holistic modalities that I utilize without having to experience the emotion and or to re-live it. I am truly grateful to Bradley Nelson for his years of study and dedication and ability to share this wonderful GIFT at a time that there are still many who just don't understand or are willing to step out of the box and to try it. I am truly grateful and I know that so many others who have had this work done would confirm the 'magic', the miracles that have unfolded and have changed behaviours, thoughts, physical ailments, and the list goes on and on. An easy read, an easy process; request permission and assistance through prayer, intention set with love and compassion, following the steps, and just allow. A must read, a must try...then come back and comment. hugs.

3.0 out of 5 stars the jury is out, October 20, 2010
This review is from: The Emotion Code (Paperback)
This book explains a potentially superb and relatively simple system of mental/emotional and physical healing by using a small magnet - even a fridge magnet - plus kinesiology (muscle testing for answers, a process related to dowsing) plus an emotion chart. Having tried the process on myself for a frozen shoulder and on a colleague who has been suffering acute arthritic attacks for the last 3 weeks, there have been no measurable or even noticeable improvements. Oddly, my shoulder was actually a little worse the next day.

I trained in several different kinesiology schools for over 5 years (by the end I was considered an expert, particularly in emotional healing, by many of my fellow students) but did not take it up professionally because my (perhaps unreasonable?) very high standards - for clear, measurable and long-term benefits in the majority of clients - were not met by any program. Most were thorough, some quite sophisticated, but none produced the virtual miracles that they sold themselves by, whether in my fellow trainees or when I had treatments from graduates or even teachers - and I gave and received many sessions indeed.

So, unlike many others who may try the process in this book, I have few concerns about whether my kinesiology testing part of the process is working or not (and neither kinesiology or dowsing are as easy as they seem, if you insist on accuracy). All I can say is that, while it seems feasible, and I don't really want to discourage anyone interested in trying it, the first results of using the Emotion Code were not encouraging.

In the last ten years alone I have read about and/or experimented with so many processes for healing: numerous books on nutritional healing, allergies&intolerances, "Miracle Mineral Supplement" - MMS (did not work for anyone I know) & MMS2 (worked for some, but not others), natural remedies, iridology, flower remedies, light/color/sun/earth healings, books on breathing, dowsing, life coaching, etc, etc. So many more books: positive thinking healing including "The Intention Experiment" and many other kinds of healing, such as "Conscious Healing, "Instant Healing", "Quantum Touch", "The Secret of Quantum Living", anything on water by Emoto, "The Healing Power of the Past", "Trauma Release", "The Healing Code", "Matrix Energetics", and not least many different types of emotional healing, such as "The Ultramind Solution", EmoTrance and EFT (dozens of EFT books, including a very sophisticated version in the "Matrix Reimprinting" book).

The previous decade was just as intensive, with more emphasis on psychotherapy and counseling, none of which helped much (and there are good, research-based books out now explaining just why most of it doesn't work) as well as more alternative therapies like iridology, magnets, flower remedies, crystal healing, sound/voice/gong/Tibetan bowl healings, aromatherapy, hypnotherapy, massage, reiki and so many other forms of energy healing, shiatsu, voice dialogue, shamanic healing including soul retrieval & past lives, rebirthing, dream healing, meditation, yoga - as well as the 5 years of kinesiology trainings in various schools. I'm not even going to start listing the numerous happiness/gratitude books I've read or the endless spiritual books, tapes, CDs and DVDs including (and this is just a partial list) those by Walsch, Marciniak, Seth/Roberts, King, Villoldo, Millman, Clow, Rasha, Osho, Aurobindo, Braden, Hicks, Long, Carey/Zoosh, Carroll, Hubbard, Perkins, Kybalion, Hall, Hawkins (David, not Stephen), de Mello, Redfield, Tolle, Renard and A Course in Miracles.

Have I read thousands of claims of amazing successes? Yes. Have I met many practitioners who thought they did wonderful work? Also, yes. Have I personally seen, or even known anyone claim, a miraculous healing? No.

The key to working with long-term illness and serious disease is persistence and patience. In over 3 decades of researching, training in, and consulting professionals on hundreds (yes, truly) of alternative therapies, I have seen small but long-term benefits only from body adjustments (Rolfing & Reflexology but not chiropractic), from acupuncture and other Chinese Traditional Medicine, from natural thyroid (but not the synthetic version), from one Herbal Master (but not any other "expert" in herbal medicine), from a few homeopaths, from 2 psychics specializing in psychic attack/spirit attachment-or-possession/soul retrieval, and from a few of Stewart Swerdlow's processes and archetypes.

Nowadays, before entering into trainings and courses I am thinking of taking, I make sure to pay for three sessions with a teacher or expert in the process. If I do not see measurable benefits, I do not enroll. I haven't enrolled in anything in the last 3 years.

As far as I know, every one who is ardently, and long-term, following a healing path has similar stories of mainly disappointment and a very few small successes. And no one is sorrier than I am to have to write this. My time, money and alternating hope&despair have added up to paying a high price to reach this sad conclusion. Yet I go on seeking: because even now I believe there is nothing better than healing (at all levels) that I could invest in.

[Later notes: I feel it's important to mention the new mental/emotional healing process explained in "The Healing Code" by Loyd/Johnson/Eble. There are hundreds of personal successes listed in the reviews on Amazon.com. "The Longevity Project" by Friedman and Martin is a groundbreaking 80-year overview on what is really directly linked to happiness and health. Don't miss!]

[Latest note: I am now, at last, into recovery. It turns out I had serious thyroid and adrenal problems, neither diagnosed or treated by any doctor in the last 20 years. Thyroid and Adrenal issues are the two most common problems of all, but doctors - including endos - are not taught anything about either. Here are some books that should be on the "top 10" of any list of books on health:
- "The Calcium Lie II" an intriguing book plausibly claiming to explain the root cause of most illnesses;
- "Oil Pulling" by Fife - worked immediately for me (just 1 tablespoon of any good quality oil daily), to sooth an abscessed tooth, and has long-term systemic benefits including, in my own case, a substantial reduction of atrial fibrillation;
- "Transdermal Magnesium Therapy" by Sircus on the amazing benefits of magnesium - a fundamental supplement for a healthy body;
- "Iodine: Why you need it, Why you can't live without it" by David Brownstein and " The Iodine Crisis: What You Don't Know About Iodine Can Wreck Your Life" by Lynne Farrow;
- "The Healing Code" by Loyd/Johnson/Eble: many personal successes, including physical, listed in the reviews here.
- `Hypothyroidism Type 2' by Mark Starr ("Type 2" meaning the many thyroid problems for which there are no lab tests so they don't get diagnosed) explains how all chronic pain is linked to low thyroid, including those involved with diabetes, heart problems, both bleeding (like gum problems) & blood clots (including strokes) and some cancers. There are no lab tests for most causes of low thyroid (mainstream doctors treat lab tests, not you, so you will be left in suffering and pain and, if you complain long enough, will be told it's all in your head - NO, it's in THEIR heads). Also the stopthethyroidmadness website and book, a practical how-to manual - you will know more than your doctor with this. Visit the Broda Barnes Foundation website for a list of the few thyroid-sympathetic doctors in your state: click on the "educational info" button on the left.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, informative, and just makes sense!, October 15, 2007
B. Norton (Yorba Linda, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Emotion Code (Paperback)
So interesting and intriguing, I read the entire book cover to cover in one sitting. Dr. Nelson's theories on healing the body just make sense. Our bodies are intelligent and know what they need to be healthy, we just need to know how to ask them, and Dr. Nelson's techniques make it so simple. This book is written in an easy-to-understand format, with lots of real-life experiences and testimonials. Clearly, Dr. Nelson sincerely wants to help people heal themselves and others. I highly recommend this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be careful of magnets on the head!!!, January 2, 2011
Claire (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Emotion Code (Paperback)
I've never written a review before but I need to share my experience to warn people of the potential hazards of rubbing magnets on the head.

As a quick overview, the book is informative re. how emotions get stuck in the body; according to Dr Nelson removing the stuck emotion is accomplished by rubbing a magnet (or your fingertips) over the "governing meridian" which runs up the spine over the head to the bridge of the nose.

The first time I tried it (using an ordinary business card magnet, which Dr. Bradley insists is perfectly safe), I had an amazing meditation afterward where I saw bright, beautiful lights. The second time, I had vivid dreams where I felt I actually journeyed to some magnificent places.

But the third time, I felt something "shift" in my head... and was then unable to sleep for more than 3-4 hours a night for AN ENTIRE WEEK. I felt a uniform pressure throughout my head which only increased when I laid down, and sleep aids made it worse. To say I looked & felt like hell was putting it mildly, especially after dark circles and cold sores appeared from the stress of not sleeping. As this was the week between Christmas and New Year's, my vacation was ruined and I couldn't find anyone available who could possibly help.

I finally found an energy healer/cranial-sacral therapist to work on my head -- thank goodness, I've finally started sleeping normally again.

My experience may not be typical, but I strongly urge you play it safe and use your fingertips instead of a magnet. Don't chance it, as magnets on the head can cause serious repercussions!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating!, January 23, 2011
This review is from: The Emotion Code (Paperback)
I am so glad to see the high reviews this book has gotten. So many people scoff at this kind of thing, but if you read the book you can't help but become convinced. The stuff about the monkeys washing their sweet potatoes was just amazing to me.

My mom is doing some of this work as a 'surrogate' for me as I do not have anyone in my immediate area who does this work. We were going to do the NAET but the practitioner my mom sees feels it is important to deal with the heart wall and stuck emotions first. I could not agree more. First off, this guy totally won me over just by finding my heart wall. My heart wall was 68 feet long and was made from books! You would have to know me to know how completely apropos that is. I have made a wall out of books literally throughout my life, escaping into them when reality sucks. This guy did not even know me, has never met me, and he knew that was what my heart wall was made from. I was totally sold from there. The emotions that he picked up on were spot on, and even my mom thought she knew what he was referring to but even she didn't know with a few of them. My heart wall is completely cleared now, and I truly feel different. I can't explain it, but I just feel more open to people and to the world around me, I feel more connected to other people, and I just feel happier. I am not hesitant to ask someone for help when before I could not bring myself to do that. He is now starting on some of my physical problems and I am very excited to see what happens from here.

This book is HIGHLY recommended. If you are skeptical, just read the book and then see what you think. There is some solid science in this book. And like my mom's practitioner says, you don't have to believe it, it works anyway!

The Emotion Code
The Emotion Code by Bradley Nelson (Paperback - June 15, 2007)
$19.95 $17.20